The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 AM

If we're trying to suppress a guitar's natural voice, I think we're better off selling it and getting one we like. Lord knows, there are whole lot of 'warm' or dark-sounding instruments around. That seems a better option to me than muting a natural sound. Moreover, on the one occasion when a guitar really was too bright for me (I normally like bright guitars) - an Oregon dread - there was little I could do to tame it with strings alone.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 AM

DR Rare

John Pearse PB

John Pearse PB and Silk - I just put on a set of these last weekend after ordering them accidentally instead of the regular PB. It's like having a different guitar. There's less volume (which isn't a problem for me but might be for some); the trebles are more subdued than I would have thought possible (almost too much - these would have been perfect when the guitar was brand new and rather shrill. It's mellower now); and it isn't muddy sounding (which is what I found with GHS vintage bronze on this particular guitar).

Last edited by cmd612; 03-19-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

J Pearse are warm, but they wear out quick. I like D'Addario PBs for this. Hate Elixirs (largely for their brightness). Retros are pretty nice and last forever.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 AM

Strings with silk
Strings with nickel
Double wound strings like the ones Newtone do (in fact I'd like to try their double wound nickels)
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 PM

DR Dragon Skins. I don't otherwise like any coated strings that I've tried, but these work pretty well to tame the trebly/harsh tendencies of one of my guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion