The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

The Tree was originally quite famous for both its figure, as for its size. I don't remember all the details, but as I recall it was found already down, in a ravine, and took quite a bit of engineering to get it out. What was quite amazing about it was the amount of figure and the incredibly large pieces they got out of it. In the late 70s I had a fine tool store, and for a while we had a plank of it for sale that was nearly 30" wide, and maybe 16ft long. I remember taking it to a Timesaver to get it surfaced. The figure was so consistent throughout it, you almost thought it had been printed on -

I remember thinking I should buy a bunch of it, but the pieces were so large, I didn't know where I would store them . . . oh well . . .
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM

Hey Joel,

How does your Huss T OM R compare with the Martin OM 21 special? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
Hey Joel,

How does your Huss T OM R compare with the Martin OM 21 special? Thanks!
Hey,

You're hi-jacking my thread...

Nothing sounds like a Martin OM with those tiny forward shifted braces. It has the kind of sensitivity that I have found on no other guitar -- but that sweetness comes with some slightly muddy bass. This guitar can be strummed, flatpicked or played fingerstyle and do it well.

While the OM-21 Special is modestly appointed, my H&D redwood/coco comes with all of the options. It's got huge braces compared to the Martin and has a much more direct and focused sound. It is a louder guitar than the Martin but it has fewer "in between" dynamics. Great for fingerstyle, terrible for pretty much anything else.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Funny guy...
I can't see where it's funny......
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

I would say The Tree wood is pretty valuable these days..
Ive loved Quilted Mahogany since my best friend bought a 1995 Martin Limited Edition D-40 with it, when it was brand new.
I think its gorgeous wood, and really wanted to get one from The Tree last year, from R Taylor if they had any sets. They actually haven't had any for a while, but when Andy Powers came onboard he had about 6 personal sets that they were getting from him, and they showed them to me..
They weren't anywhere in the dramatic league of the some of the ones shown here unfortunately.. and they STILL wanted $6k just for the wood alone!
I still want one from the Tree.. not at that cost, though... but one that looks as ridiculous like the ones below!

I did find and pick up a used Taylor BTO with Quilted Hog, but it wasn't from The Tree.. It will definately hold me over though!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Indeed, "The Tree" refers to a single tree found in the Honduras Chicibul Jungle in 1965. To date, no other like it has been discovered anywhere on the planet. There are other species of highly figured or "Quilted" mahogany that are similar but no other trees have been found with the unique figuring of "The Tree" ... often referred to as "Turtleback".

Here's a few pictures of another guitar made from "The Tree". This one is mine and it's the only one I've personally seen and played ... well no, the luthier (Sylvan Wells) who built this one also has one and I've seen his as well.

I've seen pictures of others .. one built by Taylor, another by Breedlove and two or three from smaller custom builders. Also have seen several pictures of high-end custom furniture made from "The Tree" which, by the way, is where most of the wood was used.

Some people have put estimates of the number of guitars that have actually been built of wood from "The Tree" at between 25 and 30. I have no idea if that estimate is accurate. My gut feel is that there are more, but few people know of them. A guitar made of such rare wood would typically be owned by a collector and would rarely be on the market.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for sharing...
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Most people talk about the way the figure moves and how 3-dimensional The Tree wood is. Never heard the "turtleback" designation before but think it really fits. There's also a bunch of quilted sapele that you see a number of guitars (including my Caldwell) built with - very tightly figured like The Tree but figure is compressed into much smaller fingerprints. That stuff I'm told is also from one tree.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon

Last edited by roberts; 01-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

As others have mentioned the "The Tree" refers to a single tree.

Here's a link to an article about it:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AsJMGw&cad=rja

I'm blessed to own a Paul Woolson uke from the tree.

It's incredible in every way.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM

"Sounds like mahogany . " Thats what I've been told by honest luthiers who've used it .
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korby View Post
"Sounds like mahogany . " Thats what I've been told by honest luthiers who've used it .
Bingo!
I'd say it's rare as one log can make it and hyped as much as you all can make it...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:13 PM

i'll bet the wood from "the tree" never runs out and fifty years from now there will be more guitars from the tree than a forest could supply. that is if things go true to form
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Tunes View Post
Here's a few pictures of another guitar made from "The Tree". This one is mine and it's the only one I've personally seen and played ... well no, the luthier (Sylvan Wells) who built this one also has one and I've seen his as well.
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
I'm blessed to own a Paul Woolson uke from the tree.
Danny, that's the most elegant uke I've ever seen. Gorgeous!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Tunes View Post
Some people have put estimates of the number of guitars that have actually been built of wood from "The Tree" at between 25 and 30. I have no idea if that estimate is accurate. My gut feel is that there are more, but few people know of them. A guitar made of such rare wood would typically be owned by a collector and would rarely be on the market.
I'd be willing to bet there are 10x that estimate. Baranik built two; Lance McCollum built at least one; Breedlove built a number of them, as did Martin. Brock Poling had several sets; and I know of at least one large table-sized billet that will make at least a dozen, yet to be cut.

Yes, some quilted mahogany is not from the "tree", and as far as I know there's no provenance on any of it. RTaylor had 7 sets when I asked about it 5 years ago. The picture below is of the "veined" set used on the guitar built by RT shop for Bob. Another forum member has 5 Taylors / RTaylors made from their sets. I think they're out now.

Not all of it is "veined" or turtle-shell - I've only seen three sets of that. Taylor called it AAAAA, and only had 3 sets, and the upcharge alone was $7000.

Is it magic? No, but as I said before if you like mahogany, and you like quilt, this is a great wood with a great story.

Pics:

Martin D40

Olson:

Bob Taylor's RTaylor gift from the shop to him:

The other Baranik:

Example of where most of the wood went:

If you want to find your own...

and look for this:

and this:

Cheers,

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion