The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2001, 02:20 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking Since this is Ebay discussion week... (600 series)

Check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1484478084

Very low reserve on that one and nice figuring! I've bought several guitars from this seller and highly recommend him.

To demonstrate my point about the disappearing figured maple on the 600-series: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1484603349

See what I mean? This is pretty much what I'm seeing hanging in stores these days.

J.R.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:02 PM

Hey everyone. What search words are you using to find all the Taylors on ebay? I use "Taylor guitar" and come up with quite a few, but sometimes I can't find the ones that people here in the Forum mention, that they saw on ebay.

Shea
Old 11-13-2001, 03:27 PM
Jim

It's likely the way you are searching. The easiest is to start on the Acoustic Guitar page which is:
http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plisting...385/index.html

In the search box at the top right, type the word taylor and then under that, click the little box that says search titles and descriptions. That will give you the list of every auction in the acoustic guitar section with the word Taylor.

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of pond scum sellers who sprinkle words like Taylor and Larrivee and Martin and such into their auction titles and descriptions for less nice guitars in order to trick the search engine into pulling up their auctions when you search for nicer guitars. You just have to ignore those in your search results, or when you search you can do things like type a minus sign in front of other words to have auctions with those words left out so you could type the following into the search box,"taylor -ovation -cort -takamine" You get the idea. I think it is usually just as easy to ignore them in your search results.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:44 PM
Jim

I think you are right about the disappearing flame/quilt, J.R. I don't know why Taylor can't seem to get the really good stuff anymore when other builders seem to not have a problem. For example, the Larrivee koas I've seen lately have as good or better flame than the PS models and even their maple parlours seem to be more flamed than the Taylor 600s. It's likely another case of Taylor trying to keep their costs down and not getting into the bidding wars for the best stuff combined with their practice of using every scrap of structurally sound wood they buy. This is just another example, along with the monkey fur, 3-ply cases, cheap latches, plastic handles, koa rosettes, 3-piece backs and 3-piece necks they seem to be doing these days to save a few dollars that I find so troublesome. This nickel and dime debasement of what was once famous Taylor quality is disturbing and buyers such as me have taken notice. If it continues for much longer I think that Taylor will be ripe for some other company to come along and do to them what they did to Martin and take over the lead in being known for consistant high quality.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:12 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
<STRONG>
Unfortunately, there are a bunch of pond scum sellers who sprinkle words like Taylor and Larrivee and Martin and such into their auction titles and descriptions for less nice guitars in order to trick the search engine into pulling up their auctions when you search for nicer guitars.</STRONG>
You mean you don't get a kick out of the Gibson Les Paul Samick w/ Taylor picks titles? hehe

Ebay was certainly a boost for that Martin Taylor guy's career! But the funny thing is, he doesn't play either.

J.R.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:14 AM

I love those "ACME Plywood Guitar!!!! Not a Taylor!!!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion