The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default And speaking of DR Sunbeams...

...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks, Paul!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
...I may try a set of 13's on my Advanced Jumbo soon as I think they will feel more like 12's when playing but still drive the top a bit more on the Dread size guitars.
Paul,

I have been using the DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" (13's) strings on my Gibson AJ and they sound very good. I originally used light gauge, which sounded OK, but the heavier Sunbeams really do sound outstanding on this guitar. Really brought it to life. To me, they feel heavier than light gauge strings but they are quite a bit easier than the typical medium string set.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne
I asked DR customer service when I first saw the descriptions on packages. My response from DR was to buy by the diameter of the strings for tension that would be comparable to other brands.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Quick question,
the packaging says to wind the strings slowly. How slow is slowly? Should I wind them by hand then?
When I tried them (medium-heavy) the bass response seemed dead, so I think I might have messed up somehow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion