The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Default One month off, how do I keep up my chops?

I'm facing another surgery on my left hand. The first one was 5 years ago for Dupetrens Contracture on three fingers. I started playing guitar after it healed to strengthen the hand and exercise my brain. Who knew that I would become so hooked on it.

So now I'm facing another surgery on April 1. It will be for Trigger Finger release on the pointer and more Dupetrens on the ring finger and pinky. Recovery will be two weeks of no stress and barely moving the hand, then gradually working to get it stronger. So I have a month of nothing.

One thing I can do is to go back to the vocal exercises I was doing with my voice teacher. That will help. I can also try singing with just a metronome or a backing track. I don't know what else I can do.

This spring, I'd like to get my jam group back together. I'd like to be ready to play.

All your help and suggestions are appreciated!
Old 02-18-2022, 08:36 AM

Sorry about your problems, and I wish that there was something that I could suggest, but the only way to get your chops back is the same way you got them in the first place, practice, practice, PRACTICE .
Old 02-18-2022, 08:39 AM

Good luck with your surgery first of all.

Really Listen to a lot of the music you play and focus on the timing and Rhythm with you body and arms. Foot tapping. Really getting into the flow of the music.

If you have recordings of yourself listen to them critically and make a note of what you can improve on. And singing for sure—good call.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

…I had a complete left shoulder replacement six weeks ago….I’m still spending most of my time with my arm in a sling….I went a month without playing and a couple of weeks ago I started playing again….after a couple of days to get my arm adjusted to playing I was back in the saddle….in truth I’d say the one month off did me more good than harm….i seem to have a fresh approach so I’m coming up with lots of new ideas and I’m focusing better….

….bottom line….don’t sweat it…forget about playing guitar for now…get yourself healed up and you’ll be playing just fine in no time….
Old 02-18-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I was down for about 6 weeks after thumb basal joint reconstruction and I thought I would have to start all over again. Wrong. It took about two weeks to get back my limited skills.

The surgery reignited my excitement which lead to more playing and improved skills, although still limited. Thinking back, the time off was a good thing.

Now for some eye candy...LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3354.jpg (22.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3377.jpg (36.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3427.jpg (25.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:15 AM

The best thing you can do is to keep your chops up in your head. Visualise every note and chord you play from start to end. You'll find if you can play a song in your head perfectly you'll be able to do it physically. If you're playing tricky chords, do the same with them. Visualise where you place your fingers. Play any finger picking slowly...note for note in your head.

I always know I've learned something if I can lie in the bath and play it from start to finish in my head. It works a treat!
Old 02-18-2022, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'm facing another surgery on my left hand. The first one was 5 years ago for Dupetrens Contracture on three fingers. I started playing guitar after it healed to strengthen the hand and exercise my brain. Who knew that I would become so hooked on it.

So now I'm facing another surgery on April 1. It will be for Trigger Finger release on the pointer and more Dupetrens on the ring finger and pinky. Recovery will be two weeks of no stress and barely moving the hand, then gradually working to get it stronger. So I have a month of nothing.

One thing I can do is to go back to the vocal exercises I was doing with my voice teacher. That will help. I can also try singing with just a metronome or a backing track. I don't know what else I can do.

This spring, I'd like to get my jam group back together. I'd like to be ready to play.

If you are willing to try something new, and your surgeon is amenable to it, try playing lap-style guitar using a large slide that is "easy" to hold with the limited movement deemed acceptable by the surgeon.

This will keep you involved mentally, and your right hand will be very busy fingerpicking.

You don't need another guitar to do it (sorry to say), and you might just find yourself enjoying the new view!

Best of luck with the surgery!

Howard Emerson
Old 02-18-2022, 10:36 AM

As stated here, sometimes it's actually good to walk away for a bit. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Plus you'll come back with a renewed fervor after being away so long. Good luck with the surgery and do your best for a quick recovery by resting and doing any PT required.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
The best thing you can do is to keep your chops up in your head. Visualise every note and chord you play from start to end. You'll find if you can play a song in your head perfectly you'll be able to do it physically. If you're playing tricky chords, do the same with them. Visualise where you place your fingers. Play any finger picking slowly...note for note in your head.

I always know I've learned something if I can lie in the bath and play it from start to finish in my head. It works a treat!
I'm much in agreement with JKA. Ted Greene the author of Chord Chemistry and many other guitar oriented theory books use to tell his students that they should practice in their heads when the didn't have access to a guitar.

Maybe consider taking up transcribing guitar tunes from videos. I use Tabledit but there is lots of software for this available commercially. Beyond the basic it's pretty challenging. It took me quite some time to get comfortable with it but you can learn lots - for example the tab I write down is converted into standard notation automatically. You can manipulate the tab by tweaking the standard notation. It will also improve your ear. The playback function will let you know if you have it right. Anyway good luck with your recovery.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Lowrider, I'm with you. I also have Dupuytrens contracture and double trigger finger issues on my left (fretting hand) on both middle and ring finger with surgery now 25 months overdue due to serious backlogs of non critical surgery in the UK.

I am giving lessons four-five times a week and find that if I practice/play for 30-60 minutes before the lesson I can play well enough to guide and advise my clients.

I'd suggest that it is wise to keep playing through the trigger finger issues to keep the hand mobile - but not, of course to extreme pain or inflammation and learn to minimise pressure and maximise accuracy.

At all times take professional advice of course, but if you could, in the past, you should be able to do it again. Believe!
Old 02-18-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Or, you could do what Jeff Beck has always done: just go off and do something else (with him it's cars): forget about guitar for a while, and come back to it when you can or are ready. Not completely kidding: I've laid off several times and am always amazed at how quickly I get back to where I was before.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:54 PM

Are you interested in any guitar related reading material? It won't help with your chops but it you may gain knowledge. Perhaps theory? Or listening to new music?

Good luck with your surgery!
Old 02-18-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
The best thing you can do is to keep your chops up in your head.
Bingo! Much of our chops is between our ears. Take the opportunity to listen to new music and start planning your 'comeback'. Good luck!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-18-2022, 05:26 PM

I am also on guitar break due to surgery. I have been watching You Tube instruction videos by some great guitar players. Now I'm really inspired to try a number of things that I saw on the videos. I will be glad to get back into playing and performing when I am physically able.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Keep your musical brain workin', listen to lot's of music.

I had the trigger finger surgery, after a couple weeks started to ease back into playing,... Dr. thought it was good to get back to it once the incision healed.

BEST O' LUCK!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion