The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Still loving my Koa GT, almost a year now. It gets far more playing time than my other acoustics, D35, 814ce, GS Mini hog. Truth be told the GT gets 80% of the play and the Mini gets 0.

Live in very dry Phoenix and don’t have issues maintaining case humidity in that Aero though the hard cases are a little easier.

After a year can’t hear a change in the Koa top. Those that say Koa takes a few years know whereof they speak.

There’s probably a one of those new Hog GTs in my future.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Still loving my Koa GT, almost a year now. It gets far more playing time than my other acoustics, D35, 814ce, GS Mini hog. Truth be told the GT gets 80% of the play and the Mini gets 0.

Live in very dry Phoenix and don’t have issues maintaining case humidity in that Aero though the hard cases are a little easier.

After a year can’t hear a change in the Koa top. Those that say Koa takes a few years know whereof they speak.

There’s probably a one of those new Hog GTs in my future.
I think that would be a really great combination. Taylors tend to be a bit brighter than many other guitars and I love my mahogany topped 322.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:53 PM

I’ll echo srbell’s experience. Aging issues with shoulders and hands sent me on the small guitar quest for my couch playing. I’ve gone through a bunch of parlors with 24.75-25” scales. That size helped and the better ones didn’t have that boxy sound. Also tried both a spruce and hog GS Mini. Sound wasn’t bad if uninspiring. They also felt just a little cramped. Jumped up to Taylor GC 12 fretters. Huge improvement in sound, but just not quite the couch guitar I was looking for. Finally got a GT urban ash and it seems to be the goldilocks of the bunch. Less cramped than the Mini and sounds a little better to my ears, but not as good as the GCs. The price is what it is for a small, USA made, solid wood guitar. Less than a Martin or Gibson 00 and not a lot more than an Eastman.

I’ve concluded, since I don’t play out and I’m my only audience, the GT is just fine. I'm currently looking for a little variety. I’d love to compare the new hog GT with a hog DR-10jr. I’ll be selling my Taylor GCs and my Eastman E20P. They sound wonderful and I can play them for short periods of time, but for an evening of noodling on the couch, a small body, shorter scale guitar is my standard now.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Taylor needs more short scale options. The GT is a good step in that direction, but I wonder if its scale is a little too short. They need a few 25" scale guitars and I'd be tempted.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Taylor needs more short scale options. The GT is a good step in that direction, but I wonder if its scale is a little too short. They need a few 25" scale guitars and I'd be tempted.
Thee's a whole bunch of Grand Concerts available from Taylor. Is the 24-7/8" scale length not close enough to 25"?
Old 02-18-2022, 03:54 PM

I dunno, the new GTe Mahogany looks like a pretty sweet guitar!
Old 02-19-2022, 02:34 AM

The new black top with walnut back and sides looks worthy of further investigation too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion