The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2022, 10:10 AM

Default Help select a parlor-style guitar

I started playing guitar 12 years ago around when I turned 40, mostly focusing on a variety of electrics that I snapped up. Nothing fancy, intro-level American Strats, a Warmoth Tele and a few different Epiphone Gibson clones. Over the last couple of years, I've been playing more and more acoustic. I find a creativity that comes out with acoustic much more than electric, and it has also improved my playing quite a bit.

Currently I have two acoustics, a Yamaha APX500, which was my first guitar, and one that I mainly just keep as a backup now. The other is a Taylor 324ce, all mahogany, which I like a lot and play often. I'm beginning to try to expand my acoustic arsenal, but have a bit of confusion. Problem number one is that I really do like Taylor, Martin and Gibson a lot; I'm not at all in one camp. Problem number two is that I would much prefer all solid wood, which is obviously more expensive and can be a problem with the budget. I used to be more willing to take a layered back/sides model, but the more guitars I try out, the more I can hear the difference of solid wood.

I thought I'd start with a parlor-style guitar, and have tried whatever ones I could find in my area (not a great deal of options). I've also done a lot of reading and watching YouTube demos. At the moment, the Breedlove Organic Artista concertina seems a possibility. New they go for $850, but I have found used ones for as low as $575. I did like it when I finally got to try it. The back and sides are solid Myrtlewood, which is appealing in the sense that it is rather unique.

Another thought is the Martin OOOJr, which I know is not a true parlor, but leans that way. They are $550 new and all solid, but there is someone locally selling one for $800 that he has upgraded...he did a French polish process on it, replaced the nut, bridge and pins with real bone, widened the string spacing, etc.

Both guitars are all solid, neither is actually made in the US and from what I can tell, have good reputations. The Breedlove has electronics and the Martin does not, but I can always deal with that later if it's the right guitar.

So I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of either of these guitars, or perhaps any other suggestions. I'm just beginning the acoustic journey and discovering how much there is to gain from going unplugged. A whole new world has opened, including fingerpicking, which I have been exploring for the first time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Adam
Old 02-16-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Help select a parlor-style guitar

I have played a number of different kinds of parlor guitars when I was searching for one a number of years back. I found that the Alvarez Artist and Masterwork Series’ guitars to be a great value. I own the MAP66SHB, a 12 fret, all-solid, all-mahogany parlor. I paid $700 for it back in 2016. It came at that time with a hard shell case, though I found the Alvarez gig bag for it and that is very well made so I use it most of the time.
The guitar is very responsive, balanced and comfortable to play. It has 1 and 3/4” nut with string spacing at the saddle of 2 and 1/8th. 24.2” scale length. I mention this because I actually prefer 2 and 1/4 at the saddle. But, since I own two guitars with that spacing, I have gotten used to it.
I have also played the all solid spruce/rosewood version of this guitar and it is equally great sounding.
I have only played one of the Breedlove’s that you mentioned and it was a nice sounding instrument but the guy who purchased it said that he had to play a number of the Breedlove’s to find the one he thought sounded the best.
Larrivee is also worth checking out as I have played a number of their all solid wood parlors. Their higher end ones are particularly great sounding instruments.
Pono also makes lovely sounding 0 size guitars but I think they only do custom builds so hard to find one to try out. I hope this helps. Enjoy your search.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-16-2022, 04:34 PM

If you can find either one of these used, snap it up.

Ibanez AVN2-OPN All solid mahogany. Deep body. It booms.

Washburn R320SWRK All solid, spruce over rosewood. There's a YouTube vid, a guy doing Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark is the Night, Cold is the Day" on one. Listen.

Go to Reverb, right now.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-16-2022, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I've heard good things about the Alvarez parlor, though I've not had a chance to play one. Two or three years ago you might have found a Larrivee 00 or parlor under $1,000 - though those were rare even then. You'd probably need to add $200-$300 to that now.

Breedlove is definitely worth considering. You didn't mention if nut width is a consideration. All of the "Designed in Bend" guitars, which are usually in the $400-$700 range, have 1-11/16" nuts. The wider nut is available only on the "Made in Bend" guitars, which are around 4 times as expensive.

You might also check out Eastman. I saw a used Eastman 00 on reverb the other day for around $800.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:08 PM

The Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlor might fit the bill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ne64r6zxA
Old 02-16-2022, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I got a great deal on a Rainsong P12 Parlor a few years ago. It's a fun little guitar and nearly indestructible. A beater extraordinaire if you will. I also really like the cutaway because it's uncanny how that opens up those upper frets.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm going to check out the Alvarez more in depth and see if I can play one anywhere. I did play the Artist at the local GC and liked it, but didn't see a Masterworks, which is probably more what I'm looking for. I'd like to go all solid for sure.

I do have to keep budget in mind, as I have a couple of amps on my mind also, and will soon have to purchase a new pair of hockey skates and a dozen nice, old-school real wood sticks...but I could stretch a little, given that I could very well have the next guitar for the rest of my life.

As far as nut width, I honestly don't know. Normally I'm better at 1 11/16, due to my short fingers. But my Taylor is 1 3/4, and sometimes Barre chords are a little bit of an effort, but all in all I really enjoy that guitar. As long as I can comfortably explore the world of fingerpicking, I'll be good.

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I've played the Alvarez AP70 I think it was, not even close to a Martin Jr. !! Buy the one you like the best, but by all means play a Martin Jr. I have one and it still surprises me how good it is.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:49 AM

Taylor GS Mini is fun but not solid wood. Look at Vintage Parlor Guitars website, vintageparlorguitars.com. I had Steve put a new back and sides on a 1920s Supertone Parlor and it's awesome.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:25 AM

I just picked up one of these used, here on the AGF buy/sell for around $1k and it is fantastic. All solid, killer hard case, and tone +. You have to be OK with a fat neck and wide nut, but if you are it is an excellent value, especially used.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e10p

The Alvarez Artist and Masterworks parlors are very nice and come in at a good price point. I haven't played one, but the Blueridge BR341 gets good reviews.

Good luck! I love parlor and 00 size guitars.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea1269 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm going to check out the Alvarez more in depth and see if I can play one anywhere. I did play the Artist at the local GC and liked it, but didn't see a Masterworks, which is probably more what I'm looking for. I'd like to go all solid for sure.

I do have to keep budget in mind, as I have a couple of amps on my mind also, and will soon have to purchase a new pair of hockey skates and a dozen nice, old-school real wood sticks...but I could stretch a little, given that I could very well have the next guitar for the rest of my life.

As far as nut width, I honestly don't know. Normally I'm better at 1 11/16, due to my short fingers. But my Taylor is 1 3/4, and sometimes Barre chords are a little bit of an effort, but all in all I really enjoy that guitar. As long as I can comfortably explore the world of fingerpicking, I'll be good.

Thanks again!
Parlors generally sound like... parlors.

You might think about a Taylor mahogany GT, which splits most of your requirements directly down the middle, right down to the 1-23/32" nut width.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...c/gte-mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion