The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
This is the classic definition of the difference between, say Guitar Center, and Gryphon Stringed instruments in my neck of the woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Not that I have any great love for Guitar Center, but why is it that people bash the company when there is no connection with the discussion. “Whenever Mrs. Kissel breaks wind, we beat the dog.”

From what others have discerned, the shop in question is Gruhn Guitars, one of the oldest premium guitar shops in the country. In terms of reputation, they are a lot closer to Gryphon than they are to Guitar Center.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:25 PM

Reminds me of a recent trip to Nashville and a place I'd always hit when there. Although it had been many years, and they had long since moved from their downtown location, I made the drive to the outskirts, remembering they used to keep the good stuff on the second floor. I asked a young pink haired staff member to make the trek up to the promised land, and she, seeing this 70 year-old guy in his less than stellar Saturday attire, remarked "Well, the guitars are quite expensive up there.". She looked confused (and a bit wide eyed) when I told her it was all o.k., as I'd just knocked off a gas station and needed to spend some cash in a hurry.

My last trip, as you might imagine.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:26 AM

I'm having trouble understanding the OP. The wording is unclear, and the odd...punctuation and random CAPITALIZATION doesn't help. It adds up to wondering if there are additional details, more to the story. Can't imagine that store being that awful.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:47 AM

Never been. But I’ve asked about consignment at GC and have always gotten the same answer. We take 40%.
So assuming I bought a 4000 dollar Collins guitar I then return it for a $1600
Dollar hit..this would make me walk out the door. I understand profit but gouging rubs me the wrong way..whenever I do go to Nashville I’ll chk out
All these famous stores.. sorry you had a bad experience..seems others have as well...this is a management issue and needs to be addressed...
Old 02-17-2022, 08:52 AM

You never know what's gonna happen when you head out into retail land. Your experience could be the result of a bad day for the provider, or maybe you've got a chip on your shoulder for an unrelated reason. You're on one side of the counter with your baggage and the provider is on the other side with theirs. Sometimes it's a lovely experience, sometimes not.

My worst (unsuccessful) guitar retail transaction was at a highly respected and revered shop mentioned previously but it wasn't the fault of the shop or ownership's style, intent, or policies. It was just their senior salesman at the time having a bad day, or maybe his hearing was damaged by took much amplified stage time. I'm not being facetious about his hearing! It was just one of those notorious loose washers on a Martin headstock vibrating only when a G was plucked and I heard it but he couldn't, plus he told me in so many words how superior he was and inexperienced I was. I suggested we have the techs in back look at it and he basically refused. I was kind of speechless and left with my pocketful of cash. I was very disappointed because I was ready to buy that OM-28V on the spot except for that buzzing washer. (The owner responded to my emailed complaint and was very sorry and indeed confirmed the loose washer and the bad day his salesman had.)

I still hold the shop in the highest esteem and have received nothing but the best service there since then and purchased a different Martin there a few years later. A case of an outstanding shop with a typically great salesman having a bad day-he doesn't work there anymore, but I'm still a customer!

i
Old 02-17-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Never been. But I’ve asked about consignment at GC and have always gotten the same answer. We take 40%.
Dollar hit..this would make me walk out the door. I understand profit but gouging rubs me the wrong way..whenever I do go to Nashville I’ll chk out
All these famous stores.. sorry you had a bad experience..seems others have as well...this is a management issue and needs to be addressed...
I'm not sure 40% is gouging. You hand over your guitar, they give you the cash. No reverb/paypal fees, no auction hassle, shipping problems or dealing with dodgy people off craig's list, and the store has to sell for less than new and make a profit. 40% doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Took it back to the shop where I purchased it....they tried to charge me $75 for a set up and $75 for a non existent fix on a ding that they said they found....I flat out TOLD THEM NO!!!...I told them they could sell it for me....(and it took them 2 hours to figure out the price?...which is CRAZY!!)...
I think at this point right here it should have been pretty clear that things just weren't going to work. It sounds to me that after that interaction they were just hoping that he would take his guitar and leave.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-17-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
That is pretty much the consignment cut for a lot of things, not just guitars.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 02-17-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
they tried to charge me $75 for a set up and $75 for a non existent fix on a ding that they said they found.....
Did you ask them to describe the fault in the existing set-up or show you the damage?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 02-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I've never seen a consignment fee more than 20%...
Old 02-17-2022, 12:59 PM

I bought a Taylor 614ce from that store and was plainly told that if I wasn't satisfied, I could trade it back in WITHIN a certain time-frame towards a more expensive guitar and get 100% of my original purchase price towards a new guitar. In their "Magic Carpet" room, the 614ce sounded great, but at my house, I couldn't stand it. Took it back WITHIN that time-frame and I sure didn't get 100% value towards an 814ce! Wasn't even close to 100%, so that lets you know how things work there and it was the last time I ever set foot in there. I did call them in 2018, with cash in hand, to buy an HD28. I asked them what their bottom-dollar, OTD price was and was told that they don't do discounts. GG sells them to the musicians at the Opry all the time for what they list for, so that's their price. Needless to say, my Martin was bought at the Music Outlet in Sevierville, where I was given a FANTASTIC deal on an Ambertone D41!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
GG is my LEAST favorite guitar store ANYWHERE! I’d rather shop at Guitar Center than darken the doorway of that place. I don’t want to do business somewhere that doesn’t show one bit of interest in their customers and doesn’t care if they sell you a guitar or not. The Music Outlet in Sevierville is totally different! Carter’s Vintage is totally different! I LOVE both of those stores. Happy and friendly customer service is greatly appreciated. Arrogant and condescending is not.
That is very different from any of my experiences at Gruhn Guitars over the years. I've found them to be very friendly and accommodating. Seems like a bit of a mixed bag, but I used to go there a lot when I had business in Nashville.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-17-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
That is very different from any of my experiences at Gruhn Guitars over the years. I've found them to be very friendly and accommodating. Seems like a bit of a mixed bag, but I used to go there a lot when I had business in Nashville.

They tried to hoodoo my best friend on his ‘74 Dove too! They spent an hour and a half telling him why it wasn’t worth restoring and how it had too many issues. But as he was leaving they tried real hard to low-ball him and buy it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-17-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The last two high end guitars I consigned to Elderly were at 15% fee. What I know for sure? There's a lot of misinformation spread on forums.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The last two high end guitars I consigned to Elderly were at 15% fee. What I know for sure? There's a lot of misinformation spread on forums.
Okay, that's fine, If you think that is misinformation I don't know what to tell you.I said that because 40% is the standard cut for new books consigned to bookstores throughout the industry. So that 40% didn't sound particularly out of hand to me. Obviously you are selling your books at a much better rate.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion