The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Times is hard...bad experience!!

I don't like posting things like this...but it NEEDS TO BE POSTED...Had a horrible experience this week at a MAJOR MAJOR guitar store. I purchased a Collings BRAND NEW about 3-4 months ago...(at this store).this guitar has never left my humidity controlled house. IT WAS/IS MINT!!....two weeks ago I purchased another guitar that was exactly the same and cheaper...but still a major brand...I literally could not tell the guitars apart...when I played them or when I listened to them...so...I decided to take a loss and sell the "new" guitar. Too good of a guitar to sit in the case...Took it back to the shop where I purchased it....they tried to charge me $75 for a set up and $75 for a non existent fix on a ding that they said they found....I flat out TOLD THEM NO!!!....I told them they could sell it for me....(and it took them 2 hours to figure out the price?...which is CRAZY!!)...but I would not pay them $150 because it DID NOT NEED ANYTHING....they finally said OK....we'll sell it as is....I should have left and taken it up the road where I normally go....I will not be back to this place....while I was there a guy came in 30 minutes after me....he needed to talk to the guy who was "helping" me...he walked around the store almost an hour and I told him "just warning you...I've been here 1&1/2 hours) he looked shocked...there was NO OTHER CUSTMOERS IN THE STORE!!..he left 10 minutes later....with the guitar he came in with....there were 4 other people working in this "famous" store at the time....shooting the breeze and looking at computers..SIMPLY A CRAZY EXPERIENCE......did not expect this from this place!!...this isn't the first time I've experienced the we'll take or sell you guitar but we gotta do work on it and charge you first at this place....I should have expected it....but that was years ago....
Old 01-19-2022, 05:50 AM

I have greater sympathy for the lack of customer service than for your difficulties in getting a return or consignment - there's too much about that i don't know to form an opinion. But I have been in guitar shops (note it's plural), more than once and found the employees more interested in playing themselves or talking with each other than they were in assisting me. Once I even had an appointment (that set of shops is now out of business).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:28 AM

We…feel…your…pain…
Old 01-19-2022, 10:44 AM

You certainly have way more time and patience than me. I would have put the guitar back in it's case and headed up the road to that other place about 30 minutes into the ordeal you described.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:08 AM

This is the classic definition of the difference between, say Guitar Center, and Gryphon Stringed instruments in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
This is the classic definition of the difference between, say Guitar Center, and Gryphon Stringed instruments in my neck of the woods.
It doesn't sound like he's talking about Guitar Center.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Not at all.

Let's see... He lives near Nashville and it's a "MAJOR MAJOR guitar store".

The math's not difficult on this one...
Old 01-19-2022, 12:35 PM

We all have bad days.
When the buyer and the seller both have a bad day on the same day, the best thing to do is to go home and come back on another day.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:39 PM

For me,,, it would have been over at the mention of glocking me for a setup and a finish repair.

Considering it was the same guitar you just bought from these jokers, one would wonder,,, why didn't it need a setup then?

they seem like nothing more than Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!!!!!!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-19-2022, 12:44 PM

It's not just guitar stores. People nowadays seem to be allergic to customer service. Heck most any big box store the employees walk around looking like they're afraid to make eye contact for fear they'll have to interact with you.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Agreed. Guitar Center isn’t a Collings dealer, and the OP mentioned that this was a new Collings.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Agreed. Guitar Center isn’t a Collings dealer, and the OP mentioned that this was a new Collings.
I couldn’t tell from the original post if he tried to sell the Collings or the other major brand guitar.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I couldn’t tell from the original post if he tried to sell the Collings or the other major brand guitar.
You’re right that it’s unclear whether the OP decided to sell the Collings or guitar #2—and it’s also unclear whether the OP bought guitar #2 at the same shop where he purchased the Collings—but the way I read the post, the shop that the OP is disappointed with is the shop that sold him the Collings, which by definition would not be a Guitar Center. Perhaps the OP will chime back in to clarify.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
You’re right that it’s unclear whether the OP decided to sell the Collings or guitar #2—and it’s also unclear whether the OP bought guitar #2 at the same shop where he purchased the Collings—but the way I read the post, the shop that the OP is disappointed with is the shop that sold him the Collings, which by definition would not be a Guitar Center. Perhaps the OP will chime back in to clarify.
I'm pretty sure the OP decided to keep the lesser expensive guitar, and return the Collings to the "famous" guitar store. This whole thing is terribly disappointing to hear, but if its the store I'm assuming it is, I've never been overwhelmed by friendliness in that place the several times I've been there.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:31 PM

I have heard other instances of a consignment shop requiring set-ups and other work to qualify...it's a profit center for their repair staff...whether the guitar needs help or not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion