The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2020, 04:23 PM

After Marshall wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
There's always abalone buttons . . . ,

JRB replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB View Post
Those look like clown vomit. I wouldn't put those on any guitar.
They're pretty distracting. When I first saw photos of abalone veneer tuner buttons like those, I thought: "Hmmm...that's kinda interesting."

But then not long afterwards I took a guitar in on trade that had a set of them on. They were so flashy that they really detracted from the overall look of the instrument. They definitely caught the eye, but not in a good way, in my opinion.

Fortunately the guy I got the guitar from had included the original tuner buttons in a baggie in the case pocket, so the first time I changed strings on the guitar I swapped out each tuner button in succession.

That's been my one and only abalone tuner button experience so far. Haven't sought them out since..

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-31-2020, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking at some Charis koa buttons for my K24ce.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-19-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knollhaven View Post
Yes, I have added a set of the Charis koa buttons to my Taylor 717. (Did not want to significantly alter a builder’s edition.) The fit and quality is perfect, in my view.
Hey do you have a couple pics? Interested in swapping out mine on my new 717e as well. And, what strings are you using on your 717? Mine came with Elixir lights, thinking about trying mediums.
Helix
Old 02-19-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Another testimonial for Bill and his work - had him make me Sapele and Ebony tuner buttons and bridge pins for my 314 ... I think they came out beautifully ... great guy to work with, too.

~ Paul

I must have that exact set for my new AD27e which is Sapele and Mahogany. Man would that look good. Thanks for posting pictures!

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 02-19-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Another testimonial for Bill and his work - had him make me Sapele and Ebony tuner buttons and bridge pins for my 314 ... I think they came out beautifully ... great guy to work with, too.

~ Paul

I have a Cocobolo/Ebony set from Bill that looks a lot like these that I was going to put on a guitar I had commissioned, but I liked the plain ebony buttons on the guitar when I received it, so they are just sitting there looking pretty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion