The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2022, 03:21 AM

Default Gibson J-185

I was quite keen on a 185 as the scale is shorter and as many have said the size is more manageable. But on further investigation there is a drop in volume and less treble than the 200 both of which I like.
So I have a deposit on 200 when it finally arrives. By the middle of March I will have been waiting 6 months. Gibson's supply does not impress me in fact compared to Taylor they are appalling.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyenobs View Post
I was quite keen on a 185 as the scale is shorter and as many have said the size is more manageable. But on further investigation there is a drop in volume and less treble than the 200 both of which I like.
So I have a deposit on 200 when it finally arrives. By the middle of March I will have been waiting 6 months. Gibson's supply does not impress me in fact compared to Taylor they are appalling.
The Gibson acoustic factory is smaller than the Taylor factory. Recently coming off a bankruptcy filing, I can’t imagine Gibson was as prepared as Taylor to increase production during this pandemic boom. And, honestly, nowadays I think they’re generally better instruments as well. While Taylor really seems to be riding bobs legacy and name recognition right now, Gibson has really upped its game recently in both quality and with the recent lineup. There’s a reason people wait six or twelve months for these guitars. I suspect it will be worth the wait.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyenobs View Post
Gibson's supply does not impress me in fact compared to Taylor they are appalling.
I’d bet Taylor makes ten times the guitars than Gibson does. No wonder they can fill orders quicker. But the bottom line is you can’t get a J-200 from Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion