The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Stupid Deal of the Day; Martin special D 699

If you're looking for all solid wood Martin Dreadnought on the cheap, take a look at this;

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

Old 02-17-2022, 09:29 AM

This looks like a matte finish guitar.

I owned a matte finish Martin Dread (called “Custom D” when I bought it in 2007) that I got from Musicians friend. Not a bad guitar for the price, but I hated the matte finish, and sold it after a couple of years.

Still, the guitar sounded good…it was he accumulated grime and stains on the top that I didn’t like.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:48 AM

It's tempting. Seems like these Special Ds have replaced the old Custom Ds, which I think had a bit "more" in terms of construction/appearance, and may have been USA made. I always regretted not grabbing one when they were on sale.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:40 PM

Small nut....Probably not as good or not much above my Alvarez MD60BG...But if it wasn't for the Alvarez I would be even more tempted..
If I bought something it needs to be different... All solid Adirondack Top..Rosewood back and sides...Thats what I'm looking for...in that price range
Old 02-17-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Small nut....Probably not as good or not much above my Alvarez MD60BG...But if it wasn't for the Alvarez I would be even more tempted..
If I bought something it needs to be different... All solid Adirondack Top..Rosewood back and sides...Thats what I'm looking for...in that price range
I doubt that you will even find a kit in that price range.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
This looks like a matte finish guitar.

I owned a matte finish Martin Dread (called “Custom D” when I bought it in 2007) that I got from Musicians friend. Not a bad guitar for the price, but I hated the matte finish, and sold it after a couple of years.

Still, the guitar sounded good…it was he accumulated grime and stains on the top that I didn’t like.
My J-17 is satin finish. After 2.5 years it was looking kind of grubby with shiney parts and dirty spots. I never wanted to polish it because I thought it would become a mantainence issue. I finally broke down and cleaned it with Virtuoso cleaner then polished it with Virtuoso Polish. I'm so glad I did.

It looks fantastic with a vintage gloss look, and it hasn't faded or dulled at all. If I got another satin finish guitar, I hit it with Virtuoso Polish right from the beginning.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

The custom D is a great guitar. If the Special D is anything close, that's a good deal. The Custom D does have a fairly slender nut width which is why I sold mine. Everything else was top notch for the price.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
All solid Adirondack Top..Rosewood back and sides...Thats what I'm looking for...in that price range
I hope you're patient, because with the current market you're going to be looking for quite a while!
Old 02-17-2022, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
It's tempting. Seems like these Special Ds have replaced the old Custom Ds, which I think had a bit "more" in terms of construction/appearance, and may have been USA made. I always regretted not grabbing one when they were on sale.
I think those are now the USA version of the SPecial D:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...pecial&index=8
Old 02-17-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
Yes, the Custom D's were built in Nazareth, PA.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:28 PM

Seems Musician's Friend has the final word on glued joints vs bolt-on necks in their D699 ad.

"The Martin Special D is equipped with a mortis and tenon neck joint. This glued, neck-to-body joint allows the neck and body of the guitar to resonate as one instrument. Like many of the world’s finest string instruments, the mortis and tenon does not have any bolts that limit sustain and change the color of the acoustic sound. The tight fit increases the transference of tone and sustain across the entire instrument."

Glad that issue is finally settled.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Then it seems like you're looking for the Recording King RD-328 an all solid Adi/Rosewood dread. It retails for a bit more ($799), but you can still get 10-15% off if you ask around. People seem quite pleased with it although fit and finish may be somewhat lacking from some of the reviews I've seen.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Seems Musician's Friend has the final word on glued joints vs bolt-on necks in their D699 ad.

"The Martin Special D is equipped with a mortis and tenon neck joint. This glued, neck-to-body joint allows the neck and body of the guitar to resonate as one instrument. Like many of the world’s finest string instruments, the mortis and tenon does not have any bolts that limit sustain and change the color of the acoustic sound. The tight fit increases the transference of tone and sustain across the entire instrument."

Glad that issue is finally settled.
Lol. I’ll tell my Huss and Dalton next time I see it that Musician’s Friend doesn’t think it has enough sustain. I don’t think it will mind though 😄
Old 02-17-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Lol. I’ll tell my Huss and Dalton next time I see it that Musician’s Friend doesn’t think it has enough sustain. I don’t think it will mind though 😄
My loudest, most resonant and best-sounding acoustics have bolt-on necks, as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion