The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Got my 72 d35 back from the shop

Bought this a couple months ago and after having it checked out , it was determined the intonation was slightly off. Had the saddle moved as well as a crack in the bridge along the bridge pins repaired. Glad to have it back .

A shout out to Lays Guitar Shop in Akron who did the work. You have to look pretty hard to see the repair. Best guitar I have ever had. Plays great and sounds beautiful. Just a special guitar with lots of mojo. Glad to have it back.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Nice. My 1970 D35 and D-12-35 live in Cincinnati. I seem to remember having my saddle moved on the D35 due to intonation issues, but it would have been many years ago. Both great guitars.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:42 PM

Another shout out for LAYS' Guitar Shop in Akron, Ohio. Great folks who've done outstanding work for me in the past!
Old 11-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Good to see your D-35 is well maintained.
Bet it sounds great!.

Love my 1981 D-35.
It has had a couple of saddle replacements over the years and new frets installed about 15 years ago.
The nut looks like it may be in need of replacement because the strings go way down into the slots.
Guess that comes from age and many string replacements over the years.

Did I say that I love this guitar!
Never needed any other Martin.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:13 PM

About a strong sixteenth, right? New bridgeplate?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Another shout out for LAYS' Guitar Shop in Akron, Ohio. Great folks who've done outstanding work for me in the past!
Small world 6. I feel really fortunate that they are 5 minutes from my house. Great people to deal with and their work is top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
About a strong sixteenth, right? New bridgeplate?
Intonation fixed, but have the original bridge plate. So far I see no reason to change it.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:26 PM

I have a '72 D35 as well. It's a "lifetime" guitar, so I don't need anything to be fully original. The bridge was filled and re-routed for split saddles. The neck was reset and I had a refret done at the time as well. I have friends and relatives who own D35's and I wouldn't trade mine for any of them.

Have you tried DR Sunbeam (12's) strings on yours yet??? Bone pins or plastic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D35_corrected_sm.jpg (31.6 KB, 118 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Bud, I agree with you that unless a bridgeplate HAS to be replaced there's not really a compelling reason to do so. While I have read of folks getting those pulled out and replaced, allegedly to improve the sound, it's major work that will not only cost more to do that it's probably worth, but there's also the danger of pulling off some of the wood fibers from the top when the bridgeplate gets pried off.

In fact, I've never seen a bridgeplate replacement where there was no damage to the top when the original bridgeplate was removed - there's always some of the top that comes off with the bridgeplate.

Anyway, I'm glad that you got the work done and you're happy with the results. You'll be enjoying that D-35 for decades to come!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I have a '72 D35 as well. It's a "lifetime" guitar, so I don't need anything to be fully original. The bridge was filled and re-routed for split saddles. The neck was reset and I had a refret done at the time as well. I have friends and relatives who own D35's and I wouldn't trade mine for any of them.

Have you tried DR Sunbeam (12's) strings on yours yet??? Bone pins or plastic?
Looks great,they did a great job on that bridge. The bridge pins are oem ones. I like the Martin coated pb strings and haven’t ventured out much in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Bud, I agree with you that unless a bridgeplate HAS to be replaced there's not really a compelling reason to do so. While I have read of folks getting those pulled out and replaced, allegedly to improve the sound, it's major work that will not only cost more to do that it's probably worth, but there's also the danger of pulling off some of the wood fibers from the top when the bridgeplate gets pried off.

In fact, I've never seen a bridgeplate replacement where there was no damage to the top when the original bridgeplate was removed - there's always some of the top that comes off with the bridgeplate.

Anyway, I'm glad that you got the work done and you're happy with the results. You'll be enjoying that D-35 for decades to come!

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade I agree with you. You have to remove a little bit of the sound board in the process. I’m one to not to tinker if I’m satisfied with the way it is . It sounds great as it is , so why bother ? I used to own a 2012 d35 and this is a superior sounding instrument as is . When I bought it , I took it out to Lays for an assessment and he couldn’t believe what a solid guitar it was. Why tinker with it right? It doesn’t have any cracks, loose bracing, the neck is straight and not in need of a reset. The pic guard was repaired, the frets look great and now it is perfectly intonated. All in all a great guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion