The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
Op is asking about a caoo.
Still involves clipping something to the headstock.....capo, tuner.....same same. There's room for either or even both without contacting the logo.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:39 PM

All I can say is that you’re right to be cautious. I wanted to buff out a scratch on my ‘69 FG230 headstock and was so afraid of damaging the logo that I put some painter’s tape over it to protect it. When I peeled it off, a good portion of the logo came with it. Some lessons you learn the hard way.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Dump the Keyser and get a yoke style capo. IMO Keyser capos are just about the worst for tuning stability and they are fugly to boot.
Dave Rawlings sounds just fine with them.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-15-2024, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Since your initial concern is preserving an original vintage logo, I would think overspraying or applying any permament sealer is not a good option for you. I quit parking capos on the headstock for that reason. I wholly agree with the advice about pockets, tables, etc. just dont do it. Depending on the nut, sometimes you can park a capo there.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I apply packing or any other tape to your logo! That is a sure way to remove it and damage the finish.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-15-2024, 06:39 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

If you are serious about this, I'd remove the tuners, tape off all around the headstock area, hang the guitar upside down and spray a light coat of clear acrylic (or other sealant of your choice). If you go this route, you should also consider the entire surface of the headstock and fill any small pockets in the wood first. You want as flat and even a surface as you can get.

That said, if it's lasted 52 years in good condition I'd just avoid putting stuff on the headstock (as some have suggested).
Old 04-15-2024, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Many good suggestions here. I certainly agree with your wanting to preserve the classic Yamaha 3-tuning fork design, it's iconic and elegant.

You'll see many capo ideas here. I don't find it too cumbersome to keep either a Shubb or Kyser in my fretting hand pants pocket when I perform. Music stand for coffee table when I practice.

Regarding tuners, I really like the D'Addario clip-free micro tuner. Semi-permanently attached, it comes with a slightly longer tuning machine screw. Out of sight behind the headstock, it's just part of the guitar. Left-handed? Display can be rotated (and stay that way) depending on how you like it.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ip-free-tuner/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7222.JPG (55.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-15-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:53 AM

Fretboard Phil gets my vote. Put the darn thing in your pocket. There, that was simple.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
I recently bought a 1972 Yamaha FG110 with a gold lithograph logo on the headstock similar to this. I tend to use kyser style capos and clip them to all my guitars headstocks. On this guitar, however, I’m afraid of rubbing this logo off since it sits on top of the finish.

How would you suggest I protect this logo?
Hi Drummertist
Clip it elsewhere or stick it in your pocket.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pearl View Post
Fretboard Phil gets my vote. Put the darn thing in your pocket. There, that was simple.

I never understand responses like this. I'm 100% sure the OP knows he can put the capo in his pocket. He is not asking for advice on where to put his capo, he's asking for advice on how to protect the headstock logo.

And as for putting it in his pocket, it might work fine playing an open mic or whatever but I just finished up a 2 week tour with my band. Our sets had to start and end on time. I use a capo on two songs. Literally the last thing in the world I want is to be fumbling through my pockets looking for it in front of 1000 people. I can completely understand wanting to just clip it on the headstock.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:26 PM

I didn't mean to be offensive. I'll withhold comments on this forum in the future since my music career peaked at open mike nights. Peace.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:02 PM

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Let's calm down...

I just discovered I do indeed have pockets. Those slippery mofos been there the WHOLE time. Like holy crap, pockets. WOW!
Old 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
Gentlemen, gentlemen. Let's calm down...

I just discovered I do indeed have pockets. Those slippery mofos been there the WHOLE time. Like holy crap, pockets. WOW!
What? I don't think you understand...

ALL topics require a combination of meaningful responses, with a smattering of nonsensical hullabaloo, a few completely sideways opinions, and every now and then a moderator appearance to right the ship and make it look like they are on top of things.

This is protocol.

As for pockets, they are one of the biggest foundational issues with society today. Once you have pockets, what do you have to do? Fill them! What do you fill them with? Stuff! What stuff? Money!

Without pockets, the world would be a much better place. That's my story, anyway.

To get back on topic: apply a clear coat to your headstock and clip whatever you want on there!
Old 04-15-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I once got my butt chewed by a respected Luthier for using a Kyser, told me the spring tension is too high and can cause early fret wear. This chap is so well known locally that I believed him and dumped my Kyser.
Get a nice inexpensive shubb or Paige capo then you won't be putting it on the headstock and if the guys right reducing fret wear.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I once got my butt chewed by a respected Luthier for using a Kyser, told me the spring tension is too high and can cause early fret wear. This chap is so well known locally that I believed him and dumped my Kyser.
Get a nice inexpensive shubb or Paige capo then you won't be putting it on the headstock and if the guys right reducing fret wear.

I'll be the first to admit that Kyser doesn't make the best capos. I've also been happily using them for over 25 years. They're just so convenient in a live setting and if you know how to properly put them on, they work just fine. As for the fret wear, I've heard people say that that but have never seen it in person on my guitars or any that come in my shop for repair.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

best of luck protecting it, however you decide. i find it odd that I have never, ever had any problem with any of the gold litho logos on any of my old yammys wearing in any way, shape or form.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion