The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Help me build a guitar stand

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for ideas that can be used in the design of a guitar stand made from wood. What would be your idea of the ultimate stand for your guitar.

Would you want something that is compact or that could be broken down to carry with you to a gig?

Would you prefer something that is more stylized that would be kept at home or studio only? Consider it furniture?

Would you want the stand to support the neck? Or do you like the look of the shorter stands that only contact the body?

Do you like flowing lines and smooth rounded edges that compliment the guitars shape or more traditional hard lines?

Would you be more partial to a lacquer or poly type finish that is durable or a softer silky finish such as Tung oil even though it is not as tough?

What would be a fair price for you to consider such a stand $50 - $100.00 under $200.00 or open to price if the stand was custom made for you and of the highest quality.

Would you select wood for your stand based on your guitars wood or would you base it on your home decor?

Thanks for your feedback everyone.
Dale
Old 12-16-2004, 08:49 PM

The only time I ever use guitar stands is during performances; all other times the guitar is in it's case. Most owners of high-end guitars that I have spoken to don't leave their instruments on stands when not in use, and for good reason. Portability is an important feature to me. I also don't care for the stands with neck supports, as I've had too many instances of dinging the backs of guitars on stands where there's a big pole sticking straight up.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:12 PM

Thanks

That's a good point about the high end guitars being kept in the case when not in use.

Dale
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Buy a stand from Taylor site. Save yourself 4 hours. Have a beer.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:53 PM

Actually I'm a furniture maker and I'm looking to branch out into the musicians market and I would like to offer something exciting and new with a contemporary look. The Taylor stands are very nice but I would like to take it to the next level of design and function.

Thanks
Dale
Old 12-18-2004, 02:50 PM

I have a wooden stand made for me by John Ramsey Fine Guitars. It sits in the living room ready when I play for family or friends. I like the clean style and wood looks better than the industrial/metal of my other stands.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-18-2004, 04:21 PM

AGF member "Cisco" may or may not be willing to share with you the design for his Tonewood Guitar Stands, but I like 'em a bunch and a half. Maybe more. Hope to be getting one soon - rosewood with flamed maple binding, with just the right touch of ablone. Beautiful! Plus, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Ron
www.Tonewoodguitarstands.com

cotten

Last edited by cotten; 12-18-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have a few designs I am going to use for prototypes sometime next month. If I like the way they turn out I will post some pic's for your feedback. I will build a few from exotic woods such as Koa. I'm very partial to Koa and I have a good supply just waiting to be made into something special.

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays
Dale
Old 12-26-2004, 08:03 AM

Default what it's worth

I really like the foldup stands that have really wide-spaced butt-cradles and a padded stick up the back. It would be even better if a neck cradle folded out right at the base of the neck. I want a stand that cradles the guitar almost as if it were in my arms. If the wood were pretty enough it would take attention away from a really ugly guitar. A real plus in my case. Hey, there's a new thread for someone! Ugliest guitar and/or player! Gotta love it! No professionals, please!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:20 PM

I have a "high end guitar" that I play every day and leave out on a stand in a safe place. The fact that it is out and visible is prob. why I play it every day. I think a Nice wood satin finish stand that was sleek and stable would be desired by some Guitarist. It would have to have pads to protect the guitar and not eat at the Guitar finish. Use your imagination and try to sell a couple on ebay. Or maybe to me
Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 PM

Dale:
I sent you an email of a stand I made recently from cocobolo.
Lonny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification