The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Default IBeam feedback issue?

I have an IBeam that I'm yet to install on a Martin, but according to Baggs site IBeam sounds more prone to feedback and has more trouble cutting through a band mix.

Does anybody find this to be the case? I have Baggs Ribbon Transducer now, which sounds OK. Shall I stick with undersaddle -- perhaps Element -- for playing in a full band setting?

Thanks.

ari
Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Eric Skye

well, I don't have much experience with the ibeam, but I’d guess being more or less a bridgeplate transducer that it would be more prone to feedback in a band setting than an under the saddle type, and much more than a soundhole pickup.

But the main reason for my post is to say how much a liked your website. Very cool.

Last edited by min7b5; 11-24-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:07 PM

I had an active I-Beam installed in my old Epiphone Dread and had some real feedback problems. When I bought my BR-183 I had the same pickup taken out of the old dread and installed in it. (The 183 is a 000 size.) I have very little feedback trouble now with the Blueridge. So,,, whatcha playin?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:12 PM

I have the Imix in my 314ce with it on 90% ibeam and never had any problems. I play through a Genz-Benz 85 w\ extension cab.

Taylor 314ce w/ imix
Cordoba C10 Cedar/IRW
CA Bluegrass Performer w/ kk pure mini
Taylor Baby
Heritage Golden Eagle w/ Kent Armstrong PAF
Collings City Limits
Collings i35lc
Suhr S1
SVL 61 Reserve
Acoustic Image Clarus 2r
Raezers edge NY8
Supro 1600 Supreme
Fuchs ODS bassman mod
Glaswerks 1x12xl w/ celestion 12-65
Old 11-24-2004, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5

But the main reason for post is to say how much a liked your website. Very cool.
Hey, thanks for checking it out! I'm glad you like it.

ari
Old 11-24-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-183Bob
I had an active I-Beam installed in my old Epiphone Dread and had some real feedback problems. When I bought my BR-183 I had the same pickup taken out of the old dread and installed in it. (The 183 is a 000 size.) I have very little feedback trouble now with the Blueridge. So,,, whatcha playin?
I have a Martin D-16M w/ Baggs Ribon Transducer. The low end's very boomy when plugged in right now. I have a passive IBeam that I was going to switch with (recycle the preamp of the Ribon Transducer) but Baggs web site makes it sound like Element active is better choice for acoustic guitarist in a band setting.

I play acoustic with a country band with 2 other electric guitarists. We haven't gigged much yet, but we're going to, and the acoustic needs to be turned up pretty high in the monitors to cut through a band with 2 more eletrics!

When you had your IBeam in a dreadnought, what frequencies feedbacked the most? High, mid or low?

ari
Old 11-24-2004, 07:06 PM

My 610 has an IBeam in it. I have feedback issues. I have to stand back and to the side of my monitor to avoid feedback. From what I can hear, though, it sounds great!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-24-2004, 07:08 PM

I have an active iBeam in my Martin...I've never had it loud enough to cause feedback. Guess the amps aren't loud enough then...

Chris

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 PM

I have an I-beam on my yamaha 12-string, I installed it about 2 year ago. I've had no problems with it. Sure i can make it feed-back, but in normal use It's been fine. I've used it alone and sitting in the middle of a 30-piece orchestra using an amp as a monitor with line out going to the sound system. It did make a difference weather i plugged into the high or low imput on the amp (it was an electric guitar amp.)

My guitar has a laminate top, so that may cut down on the vibrations causing feed back that a solid top might have more overtones to get amplified.

I'm very happy with it.
-andy

P.S. thanks to those of you who answered questions about it when i was considering buying a pickup.

-baby taylor
-Djiembe
Old 11-25-2004, 03:01 AM

I started using an active Ibeam on a 314 about six months ago. Our church has poor acoustics, a big PA and I normally use my 60w amp as a monitor. On the lively songs where the congregation is singing with gusto, my amp is usually pegged and I need to be very careful and stand to the side or face away. If not, I do get howling feedback from the PA mains.
I just purchased a BBand UST and preamp as a remedy but have a poor signal because my saddle is too low (not enough string break angle).
Best wishes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification