The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 02:27 PM

Default NP(Pick)D

Decided to try out some celluloid picks from Shillingtons. I usually don’t use picks at all but when I do I’ve noticed I am liking a thicker and larger pick. I have some fender medium tri picks and figured why not give these a shot for $7. Packaging was excellent and very fun. Apparently this is celluloid made in the 1920s-40s. The quality seems very good, no sharp edges at all, very smooth. Maybe a little too smooth. Kinda slippery. Size is .75. Here is a small sound clip I made if you wanna get an idea.

Overall fun for not a lot of money.

Guitar is my 2013 Gibson 1942 Banner reissue.
Strings are 3 week old Martin Retro 12s.
Recording device is my iPhone 13.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PuidoGmLq9GMVdpk6

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/WMWB1Gr7vZpW5285A

Old 02-28-2022, 06:44 PM

Very cool picks! Nice looking guitar also, I've went to using Charmed Life and really like the tone I get.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-28-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Very cool picks! Nice looking guitar also, I've went to using Charmed Life and really like the tone I get.

I just looked them up. I’m really into tri picks right now. I love the size of them. Might try one of their picks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Just curious, did you work the edges with sandpaper? in the photo, it looks a little rough cut. I took a shine to collecting picks during the recent stay-at-home time, and this indeed does look fun. Order placed.

You know, there is a way to check for celluloid? However, it is referred to as "destructive testing", meaning you get your answer, but not your pick back!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-28-2022, 07:53 PM

I've got some of the Shillington celluloid picks and they most seem to have quite smooth edge when they come out of the bag. I did have one which benefited from a touchup but the others have started out smooth.

That said, the ones I got are all thinner than I usually play with, all have been under 1.0mm. Being that thin and with the ones I got being the smaller, pointier sizes, the edges can get a little coarse after not too much playing time. But they polish back up super quickly and easily.

The whole Shillington's deal is kind of a weird vibe but I like it!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-28-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Just curious, did you work the edges with sandpaper? in the photo, it looks a little rough cut. I took a shine to collecting picks during the recent stay-at-home time, and this indeed does look fun. Order placed.

You know, there is a way to check for celluloid? However, it is referred to as "destructive testing", meaning you get your answer, but not your pick back!

No that’s how they came. I noticed that too but it’s not rough. It’s very smooth. And yea I could “test” it but I’ll take their word for it haha.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I've got some of the Shillington celluloid picks and they most seem to have quite smooth edge when they come out of the bag. I did have one which benefited from a touchup but the others have started out smooth.

That said, the ones I got are all thinner than I usually play with, all have been under 1.0mm. Being that thin and with the ones I got being the smaller, pointier sizes, the edges can get a little coarse after not too much playing time. But they polish back up super quickly and easily.

The whole Shillington's deal is kind of a weird vibe but I like it!

Yea I’m not sure sure if they will be my permanent pick but it’s just a fun thing to have. Like I said I mostly play without one but I’m open to other nice pick suggestions. And I appreciate any company that goes above with packaging haha.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Great picking, and really cool guitar! Ton of pick noise, sounds like, no? Donno if it’s the pick or recording device. Btw I love retros on my J45 too, especially once they’re at least a week or two old. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Got my pack yesterday. Really cool packaging, and pretty nice picks, too. I'm not savvy enough to describe the difference with these, but there is. Honestly, I *think* it may just be that I've never felt un-polished celluloid. All the modern celluloid picks are pretty smooth, where these are a little rough. Oddly, I find them more difficult to grip than the smooth ones. (there was a thread about that topic, regarding caesin or acrylic) In any case, I'm going to take ONE of them and polish it with my dremel and a buffer compound that Scott recommended (of CLP fame) I'll post results when it happens...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion