The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Collings C10-35

Hello all,

While I'm still on the hunt for the right all mahogany 00 and am considering various options, I recently discovered the Collings C10-35. While it's obviously not an all hog guitar, it seems to be the go-to guitar in Collings line up in terms of a small bodied guitar for fingerstyle blues. Does anyone own or has played one of these? They are pricey but sound great in the clips I've heard.

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I have a C10 MRA. It’s a superb guitar in quality and tone.
Collings guitars are fantastic and imho worth the price.
Find one that matches your string spacing preferences and you’ll be pleased.
Make sure you have correct expectations for the tone, the C10 has a narrower focused upper bout like a 00, but a larger lower bout like an OM for nice balance.

If it’s me looking for a different C10, I would seek out an all hog C10 with a deep body.
Compared with my tweedy 00db, the Collings buries it in finishing quality. The all hog db however is special for some reason. I would love to have a Collings 00bd hog guitar.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:11 AM

Very happy sitka/hog C10-DB here. Better than any other 00-sized guitar I've played, except a ladder-braced WL-14, but I couldn't get past the V neck. The C profile on my C10 is wonderful though, even if it's only a 1 11/16" nut.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:57 AM

I’ve had my C10-35 for about four years. I’m primarily a blues/rags/old jazz fingerpicker, but the C10-35 also handles a flat pick well. It’s a great guitar, and it’s the one I always bring when playing with other people (it’s loud).

Regarding your quest for an all mahogany 00, I used to have a Collings 001mh (12-fret) which was one of the two best all-hog guitars I’ve owned. I never would have let it go except that the 1 13/16” nut width was giving me trouble with thumb fretting due to some arthritis.

The other best all-hog I had was a converted 1937 Martin 0-17H. I let that one go for the same reason - 1 7/8” nut width.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion