The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 AM

Location: Brevard, North Carolina (but Maine will always be home)
Default New tuners for my D-15 question....

Well, I'm finally going to put some new tuners on my D-15. The current ones are starting to act up, so it is time for an upgrade.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to one or two Waverlys. I read somewhere that Waverlys are an easy switchover and already match the holes for both the screws and shafts on Martins. Can anybody verify this ?
Thanks !
Michael
Old 08-23-2018, 03:36 AM

Michael, what do you have on the D-15 currently?
If you have a butter bean type tuner, the mounting holes may or may not match up with the Waverly tuners hole spacing. They will likely be very close but not an exact fit. If you have an enclosed style tuner, the type used by Martin before the open gear craze, they are probably Martin branded Ping tuners with a single mounting screw at the six O'clock position.

You will have to decide which style tuner you want for replacement. If you go with an open gear tuner, I suggest you have a luthier do the installation. If you use an enclosed gear type tuner, you probably can do it yourself.

Waverlys or other brands of open gear design look cool but IMHO, are an antiquated design. As for enclosed tuners, you will find the Gotoh 510 tuners hard to beat. They are very precise and smooth and are 18:1 or 21:1 ratios.
If you need a less expensive option, the Gotoh SG 301s are 18:1 tuners and are very good.

I know there many who will disagree but open gear tuners look cool (and that is why most people like them) in the way that bias ply white wall tires look cool on a restored antique car. But I would not use them on a modern car.

But it is you guitar.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:24 AM

Location: Brevard, North Carolina (but Maine will always be home)

Thanks Paddy1951.....that was very informative.
Looks like I have the "Ping" design on there now. I'll check out the Goto though. Yes, I like the open backs - but that is mostly because I can make minor adjustments myself; in fact, I could probably correct my current issue if I could just get access to the guts and gears (um, yes, I like the look too).
Again, thanks....much appreciated !
Michael
Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 AM

I put Stew Mac open back Golden Age Relic Nickel Tuners on my 2007 D-15. They are 15:1 and have cream plastic knobs. They are about $65.00 and are the same tuners Martin uses on the 17 Series. An additional screw is required but they look great with the mahogany.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion