The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Default What is left? (Humor)

I received an e-mail from GC this morning saying I could receive 12% off any purchase over $149 - Some exclusions apply. It seems that everything is excluded.

Products from the following manufacturers do not qualify for this offer:
3 Monkeys Amps, 3rd Power Amps, 65amps, A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Akai Professional, AKG, Alesis, Allen & Heath, Alto, Altus, Alvarez, American Audio, American DJ, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Antoine Courtois Paris, Aphex, Apogee, Apple, Armstrong, ART, Arturia, Audio-Technica, Audix, Auralex, Avalon, Avanti, Avid, Axl, Azumi, B&S, B3 Guitars, Bach, Bad Cat, BAM, BeatKangz, Beats By Dre, Bedell, Behringer, Belkin, Benchmark, Benchmark Media Systems, Benedetto Guitars, Besson, Bixonic, Black Cat, Blackheart, Blackstar, Blue, Bogner, Bosch, Bose, Boss, Breedlove, Bricasti, Brio, BSS Audio, Budda, Buffet Crampon, Bugera, Bundy, Carl Martin, Casio, Cerwin-Vega, Chameleon Labs, Chandler Limited, Charvel, Chauvet, Cleartone, Cloud, Conn, Cordoba Music Group, Courtois, Crate, Crown, Cusack, Daking, Dangerous Music, dbx, ddrum, Dean, Death By Audio, Diamond Amplification, Diezel, DigiTech, Dime Amplification, Disney by Washburn, DLS Effects, Drawmer, Dunnett, Drum Workshop, Earthquaker Devices, EBS, Eden, Edirol, Elation, Electro-Harmonix, Electro-Voice, Elysia, Emerson, EMG, Eminence, EMMA Electronic, Empirical Labs, Empress Effects, Engl, Epiphone, ESP, Euphonix, Eventide, EVH, Evil Robot, F. Loree Paris, Fano Guitars, Fargen Amps, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Fishman, Focal, Focusrite, Fox, Friedman, Fryette, Fuchs, Fulltone, Furman, G7th, Gallien-Krueger, Galway, Gator, Gemeinhardt, Genz Benz, Getzen, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Gibson USA, Giffin Guitars, GNI Pedals, Godlyke, Gold Tone, Golden Age, Golden Age Project, Grace Design, Great Divide, Great River, Gretsch, Gretsch Drums, Gretsch Guitars, Guild, Guyatone, Hagstrom, Hans Hoyer, Hao, Harden Engineering, Harman, Haynes, Hercules, HHB, Hohner, Holton, Ibanez, ISP Technologies, J Puchner, Jackson, JamHub, Jasmine by Takamine, JBL, Jet City Amplification, Jody Jaz, Jupiter, K&M, Kanstul, Kawai, Keeley, Keilwerth, Keith McMillen Instruments, Kemper, King, Koll Guitars, Korg, Kramer, KRK, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, Laney, Langevin, Leblanc, Lexicon, Line 6, LovePedal, LP, LsL Instruments, Ludwig, Luna Guitars, M-Audio, Mackie, Mad Professor, Malekko Heavy Industry, Manley, Mapex, Markbass, Marshall, Martin, Martin-Leblac, Matchless Amps, Maxon, Meinl, Meinl Weston, Millennia, Miraphone, Mixosaurus, Mogami, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan, MOTU, Music Man, MusicXPC, N-Tune, Neumann, Neve, Nord, Novation, NS Design, Numark, Olympus, On-Stage Stands, Option 5, Orange Amplifiers, Ortofon, Ovation, P. Mauriat, Pacific Drums & Percussion (PDP), Paiste, Parker Guitars, Pearl, Peavey, Pelonis Sound and Acoustics, Perris, Phonic, Pigtronix, Pioneer, Powell, Prelude by Conn-Selmer, PreSonus, Propellerhead, PRS, Purple Audio, QSC, Quik Lok, Radial Engineering, Rainsong, Randall, Rane, Reunion Blues, Rickenbacker, Rivera, RME, Roc-N-Soc, Rockbag by Warwick, Rockbass by Warwick, Rockcase by Warwick, RockStand by Warwick, Rode Microphones, Roland, Royer, Rupert Neve Designs, Sabian, Sample Logic, Schecter Guitar Research, Scherzer, Schilke, Schreiber, Schroeder, Schroeder Guitars, Selmer, Selmer Paris, Sennheiser, Serato, Shure, SKB, SM Pro Audio, Softube, Soldano, Solid State Logic, Sonare, Sonivox, Soul, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberg, Steinberger, Stephanhouser, Sterling by MusicMan, Summit Audio, Sweet Sound Electronic, Splawn, SWR, T-REX Engineering, Takamine, Tama, Tapco, Tascam, Taylor, TDK, Tech 21, Telefunken, Thermionic Culture, Toadworks, Tobias, Toca, Tone King, Tortuga, Traveler Guitar, Traynor, True Systems, Tube-Tech, Two Rock, Ultimate Support, Universal Audio, Vestax, Violet Audio, Vito, VMI, Voodoo Lab, VOX, W. Nirschl, Waldorf, Wampler, Warwick, Washburn, Weber Speakers, Western Digital, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, Yamaha Band & Orchestra, Yanagisawa, Zildjian, Zoom, ZVex Effects
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM

I guess if you were looking for a Seagull guitar, that would apply??

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM

LOL ridiculous!! It seems like such an empty offer after that list of exclusions...THANKS GUYS!!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM

I guess they figure if they get you into the store you will buy something. You should drive them crazy and start bringing stuff to the checkout that you know is on the list and when they say it doesn't apply take it back and get something else...over and over again...bring all your buddies with you to do the same thing!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM

I emailed this to them via their website after I saw that.

I was considering stopping into the local GC for a purchase during the recent sale, but the huge list of exceptions to the sale price included all of the brands I was interesting in investigating. It seemed to me that a majority of the popular brands from which I would have considered a purchase were excluded. The list of exclusions was the longest part of the email. Why bother sending a nationwide advertisement for a huge sale when most of the product you sell isn't even on sale? If notices like this continue I'll unsubscribe from the email altogether.
Thanks for your consideration.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Well .... (I've posted this here before)

If you read further on after all the mfr listings, it tells you to CALL the toll-free number regarding any of those items. "If the item you want is excluded from this promotion please call us toll free at 1-877-687-5403."
And guess what? Most of the time, you CAN get the discount. It also works if you go into the store, the salesclerk can call the same number and get the 'special code' to validate the discount.

But you are right, it is a way to get people into the store or onto the e-business site. Just like every other advertisement out there.
It's funny how people will 'pick on' GC, even though its really no different than most retail outlets.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Well .... (I've posted this here before)

If you read further on after all the mfr listings, it tells you to CALL the toll-free number regarding any of those items. "If the item you want is excluded from this promotion please call us toll free at 1-877-687-5403."
And guess what? Most of the time, you CAN get the discount. It also works if you go into the store, the salesclerk can call the same number and get the 'special code' to validate the discount.

But you are right, it is a way to get people into the store or onto the e-business site. Just like every other advertisement out there.
It's funny how people will 'pick on' GC, even though its really no different than most retail outlets.
It may have in the past, but everyone must have been calling because that statement is not included on this email. It really would have been easier to list what brands are eligible.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havighurst View Post
It may have in the past, but everyone must have been calling because that statement is not included on this email. It really would have been easier to list what brands are eligible.

Then the email would have said "Come on in for 12% off of nothing!"

simple. easy to understand.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Had a similar deal from Sam Ash. Theirs was a $30 Gift Card for every $500 spent. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to go over their list of exceptions, which basically covered nearly every brand. Next time, I'll check the exclusions.

Still, got a nice Epiphone ej 200ce and a killer deal on a pair of Troubadour Amps. Not too unhappy.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havighurst View Post
It's in the link provided in the email to the exclusion/detail page. It's always been that way, this is nothing new.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Promos/C...d=401751#exclu

That's how I got an extra $150 off my Taylor - went in with the coupon, talked to the salesclerk, he called the number, there's my discount!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM

Default GC sale discount

Yay! 15% off on picks!!! That is, if you buy them by the gross!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Yeah, you can get the discount on pretty much anything, except for apple and maybe a handful of other brands. Just have to ask.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM

It amazes me how often this comes up.
So many people must believe this that it probably does cost GC some sales?
My local guitarcenter sales rep explained to me why they have to include this list of exclusions.
But it really means little to nothing.
I only make purchases during these sales and I pay no attention to that list.
I always get the 12-15% off, whatever the sale is, regardless of brand name.
This should be on snopes.com
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM

You can't know unless someone tells you. A few years ago I payed the full price $900 for an Ibanez. I haven't payed full price since I learned about the "have to ask" policy. Now I try to apply it everywhere else in life, and sometimes it works (just saved 25% on acoustic build plans)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion