The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Question Acoustic Guitar Headroom

I have to admit I had never paid attention to headroom definitions because I have only played acoustic guitars. I see references to headroom now on the AGF but for the most part I ignore it. Lately I have seen a few head scratcher comments so I did a search but it didn't help me out much.

I understand amp distortion and the term head room much better now.

I am still confused on how the term is used in reference to acoustic guitars.

Plugged in, distortion comes through the amp right?

Unplugged, hmmm, am I to assume that players whale on their guitars to the point of distortion from the sound box and a listener will pick this up? (I understand string distortion)

Is headroom an issue for unplugged finger players? (It has never been for me but I am just curious )

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I have a very delicate small body cedar-top acoustic guitar. A fingerstyle guitar.

If I use a plectrum and strum HARD, there is a limit to how much volume I can get out of my acoustic. It maxes out and won't get louder. Similarly, the beautiful note definition and harmonics get lost and muddied when I play it so hard.

Conversely, a hard sitka topped dread or jumbo will not have this problem.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Yup, you've pretty much got it. As an electric harmonica player I have always sought out small amps that "broke up quickly" - usually between 3-12 watts. The faster break up, the dirtier the tone - almost every harp player likes that dirty 'ol Chicago harp tone.

"Breaking up" is not a desirable quality in an acoustic, I have a Masterbilt EF500RCCE that is nearly as loud as my Eastman OM but gets "muddy" or "distorted" when played hard - say past 75-80%. The Eastman maintains it's clarity up to about 95%. Not noticeable until you pay them back to back. Probably due to the MB's Cedar top although bracing and other stuff play a tole too, I'm sure.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 07-28-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: omission

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion