The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Mark Knopfler Picking Technique

I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler's music and I've been watching a lot of video of him playing recently (last 6-7 years) and during his days with Dire Straits. Both in interviews where he discusses it and observation, it seems he never uses a pick and plays with his thumb and two fingers on his right hand. I have a love/hate affair with my picks so I am interested in learning more about Knopfler's technique. Are there any books, articles, or video that discuss it in more detail?

Are there other professional artists who have the same technique?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Look up a fella named Chet Atkins
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Hi Bob ! I guess you've already seen this, but I'll put it up anyhoo, for those that haven't. Mark makes it seem so bloody easy !

I've been strumming and flatpickin' (roughly) for years, to accompany myself. I'm trying to now learn some fingerpicking. It drives me crazy !
It's like I'm picking up a guitar for the first time again, not sure I'll ever get it right.

I have been working on the deceptively difficult (for me) little piece in the second vid. DaddyStovePipe rocks !

Last edited by Long Jon; 07-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler's music and I've been watching a lot of video of him playing recently (last 6-7 years) and during his days with Dire Straits. Both in interviews where he discusses it and observation, it seems he never uses a pick and plays with his thumb and two fingers on his right hand. I have a love/hate affair with my picks so I am interested in learning more about Knopfler's technique. Are there any books, articles, or video that discuss it in more detail?

Some years ago, I recall seeing a video on TV of a Mark Knopfler concert in what appeared to be a small, intimate venue. At one point, he asked a guy to come out and join him on stage, introducing the fellow as the guy who taught him to play guitar. They played together. The guy's guitar technique and tone was just like Mark's...or should that be the other way around. It was interesting to see that it was a learned technique. I wish I knew who that guy was...anybody know?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM

I'm a big fan of Jeff Beck. Never realized he doesn't use a pick. Go figure.

RPK
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Look up a fella named Chet Atkins
but doesn't chet use a thumbpick and mark use his bare thumb (no nail)?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Here is some Knopfler awesomeness done on the acoustic.

Last edited by mediopolis; 07-28-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: messed up link
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
but doesn't chet use a thumbpick and mark use his bare thumb (no nail)?
That's what I thought in fact I read an older article written by CA where he talked about using a thumbpick (but he was so good perhaps he did both depending on the sound he wanted).
Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediopolis View Post
Here is some Knopfler awesomeness done on the acoustic.
That guy's playing is great but correct if I am wrong, it looks like Mark Knopfler plays with little to no fingernails. That player is using nails it appears in the video.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use picks, either, I believe. Very distinct tone, in his playing...different from Mark, who is great, too. (Assuming that you're talking about primarily electric players?)
Leo Kottke, for the acoustic crowd, is a prime example, too...many others...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
That guy's playing is great but correct if I am wrong, it looks like Mark Knopfler plays with little to no fingernails. That player is using nails it appears in the video.
Igor is playing with alaska piks there.. He plays with nails only also... Playing without picks/nails just gives a softer tone which I am sure you know. I would argue if anything, using those alaska piks are harder. When I practiced with them, they are difficult to get used to not having your skin touch the strings.. felt weird, but love the tone.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM

I did read an interview with Mark where he mentions not using a pick because he likes the sound of the flesh from his finger tips on the strings...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Easy to get a decent tone from an electric without nails, but at least for me, I need nails when trying to emulate Knopfler on an acoustic.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 AM

Not that I can complain about MK's playing because he's one of the greats as well of course and Chet but it always seemed to me to be a waste of a perfectly good ring finger to not use it Flamenco guitarist even use there pinky, tried that, can't do it!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Marl Knofler rules!!! Not many choose to play with just skin and not nails. The pick is much easier, hence the popularity of the modern style.

Playing country Blues and Ragtime will be a good place to start learning the skill of an alternating bass combined with syncopation of the index and middle fingers. Toby Walker has excellent lessons for this. Than if you are still passionate about playing like Knofler you can practice all the scales on a metronome with just bare fingers. Same as the pick you may have a love hate affair with trying to syncopate the thumb and finger as well. If it was easy more player's would do what Knofler, Jeff Beck and Lindsey Buckingham are doing. They are technical masters of the game. Also Buddy Guy, Warren Haynes and Trucks pick a mean lead with just their fingers. Let's not forget about Clarence Gatemouth Brown, I'm baffled how he did it with his extended index finger.

I have worthless nails so it's skin for me and when I'm tired I ware the finger picks same as Jorma kaukonen and Toby Walker. If your going down the dirt road it will be good to study as many artist as possible. Enjoy the path, it's a worthy and rewarding experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion