The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 AM

I think wall mounting is great ; the key is simply to control, maintain, and monitor the humidity and temperature in the room. Just like a retailer, but on a smaller scale.

Love having them 'out' for the same reason and the OP. I am now inspired to play them much more that if all stored and hidden in their own case. And playing them is the whole point. I also require fewer cases as essentially just need one per body type.

And I don't have to maintain all those case humidifiers. Rather I aim to control the humidity of the music room, and keep a few analog and digital hydrometers around the room to monitor where I am.

I ended up using Hercules wall hooks. If I had the money or physical room, I would have considered what others have done re individual glass cases for each, or very slick glass closets. But I was just being practical, and thought the money might be better spent on the gear!

Acoustic/Electric: 2013 TAYLOR 818E FIRST EDITION - 2013 EPIPHONE AJ220SCE - 2010 TAYLOR 214E
Electric: 2010 EPIPHONE SHERATON II - 2010 EPIPHONE 335 DOT - 2009 GODIN FREEWAY CLASSIC
Classical: 1970 ARIA AC-15 CLASSICAL - 1970 ARIA A551B CLASSICAL
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 AM

I hang almost all of my instruments except the pennywhistles, harmonicas, and piano, on the walls.

Exterior walls mostly. I mean, even in my 120 year old home the walls are drywalled, vapour barriered, and insulated, essentially making them the same as interior walls climate wise. Any difference is negligible.

My only precaution is to maintain the humidity above 40% in our very dry winters. Right now though, it's raining and the inside humidity is 55%. I keep a hygrometer on my desk in the studio.

In 40+ years in a variety of homes (this one for 21 years) I've never had an issue related to hanging, atmosphere, or damage caused by keeping my instruments out where they are seen and played. Right now that would include as many as 15 all solid wood (ie, no crack resistant laminates) guitars and mandolins, a few banjos, a few electrics, a fiddle...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 AM

Ever heard the adage "if you feel ok, then your guitar feels ok"?

So how would you feel if someone hung you up by the neck on a wall?!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 AM

I have been hanging all my guitars for more than 10 years with no issues. I do keep my house humidity between 40 and 65 %.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 AM

I would add that, if possible, hang your guitars in a location that is not in direct line of the output of the air conditioner/heating vent; in other words, not in a location of the major airflow path. (Keep it out of the wind!)

Hope I worded that clearly...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Ever heard the adage "if you feel ok, then your guitar feels ok"?

So how would you feel if someone hung you up by the neck on a wall?!
I would feel pretty much the same as being locked in a stuffy dark case in a closet. I also woundnt want to be strung up with 180 pound of tension either, etc etc,. But that said, the guitar does sound better when the player feels good!

Acoustic/Electric: 2013 TAYLOR 818E FIRST EDITION - 2013 EPIPHONE AJ220SCE - 2010 TAYLOR 214E
Electric: 2010 EPIPHONE SHERATON II - 2010 EPIPHONE 335 DOT - 2009 GODIN FREEWAY CLASSIC
Classical: 1970 ARIA AC-15 CLASSICAL - 1970 ARIA A551B CLASSICAL
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I play mine so often because they are hung on the wall. I use a humidifier in the winter (New Jersey)
One of the best little gifts I ever got was a Hercules stand (which I copied with a Hercules wall hanger later).

Having my guitars out makes it so easy to play them all the time.

I, too, use a humidifier now in the winter.

I love having my guitars hanging. Not only are they easy and fun to grab, they also are attractive decorations too.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Like the maker said...guitars belong in a case.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 AM

With regards to homelife and playing:

Hanging them in one room,on a wall,while nice as art,would seem limiting to me. When i'm in another area of my house i would have to go to the hanging wall to get a guit and play...

I favour keeping my electrics out at all times these days,on stands,straps attached..just makes them easier to pick up and play.Acoustics are in cases.

But i don't limit myself to one area/room..I play all over the house...living room,dining room,kitchen,basement,stairwell to the second floor(big landing,nice acoustics! . I'm mobile.

Each area has music i'm currently learning to play,or standards i already know, out on lighted stands,with a comfortable bench to sit on,and one/or more guit stands,an amp...kinda like a workstation....so i move around during a typical 2 hour home playing/study session from workstation to workstation...this works well when my hands need a break,and a changeup.Variety.Stretch.Grab a coffee.move on to new material...i pick up where i left off last time..electric,acoustic,back and forth..

Temperature and humidity fluctuations make me more conservative with my Martins,so they stay in their cases.Until it comes playing time,then they are out.For as long as required.When done,back in the case Humidified when needed.
If you have the coin,time and space to have an actively controlled environment for hanging your acoustics...power to you,they look nice hanging.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM

My guitars go in here - humidified, when necessary.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion