The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Default hanging guitars ok?

The Pantheon (Bourgeois guitars) web site states this in the FAQs on care for guitars: "Keep your guitar in a case when you aren’t playing it. The case is your best protection against changes in temperature and humidity. Hanging a guitar on the wall, or storing near a heat source (forced air, wood stove etc), or air conditioner is the cause of many woes including protruding fret ends, body cracks and bridge failure."

I've gotten used to hanging mine over the past 8 months as I switch between them daily. They are out of harms way, dog can't knock them off a stand or knock over the case, and I play them more often, of course, when they are so available. I typically get in 2 to 3 hours a day of playing/practicing. And, they are simply beautiful works of art to look at and inspire me, even when I'm not playing. I've read threads on hanging guitars on AGF before and most of the wisdom has said that it's fine. I see high-end guitars hanging in vintage guitar shops. So, I'm wondering if the thinking has changed on this. I've got my Bourgeois guitars hanging on secure Hercules wall hangers in a temperature controlled room and out of the reach of direct sunlight. Is this not a good idea?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM

Well, the actual act of hanging it on the wall isn't what is debated, it's the conditions it is exposed to as a result - namely, low humidity in some places. If your room humidity is adequate, I don't see any reason not to hang them.

I keep my nice acoustic guitars in their cases with humidifiers and I hang all my electric guitars and lower end acoustics with laminate. So, I have like nine guitars hanging on the walls in my home - it works out quite well for the electrics, anyway.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry,

I think you're fine--but I don't know for sure what climate you're in. My outside walls get cold--so I would only hang on an inside wall.

You're spot on about avoiding direct sunlight.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Larry,

I think you're fine--but I don't know for sure what climate you're in. My outside walls get cold--so I would only hang on an inside wall.

You're spot on about avoiding direct sunlight.
My house is nicely climate controlled ranging between 68 to 72 in the winter and 74 to 78 in the summer, and humidity is controlled in my room to be between 35% to 45%. Two are on an outside wall, but it is well insulated and the wall is never cold nor warm to the touch. Totally comfortable at all times.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM

As Jim mentioned, interior walls only and make sure that there is no direct sunlight to cause drastic temperature changes or overheating. ....Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Default hanging guitars ok?

I have had some hanging for 2+ years, seemingly without negative repercussion. But the room has a huge range of humidities throughout the year, so I'm sure I will have some problems at some point.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 PM

I've been hanging a Strat up by the neck, right here next to me, for more than ten years now...

No ill effects whatsoever ,,,, except that it has become a baritone.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM

The tension of light gauge strings is about 160 pounds, and medium gauge at roughly 185 pounds. Most acoustic guitars weigh less than five pounds. So no issue there.

As long as the room temps and RH are fine, and you are out of direct sunlight, it should be fine. I keep six guitars on Hercules grabbing wall hangers. If I think any start to look dry, I rotate them back into their cases with humidifiers, and put something else on the wall for a few days. That way everybody gets some attention. I have been doing this for at least 8-10 years with no ill effects.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM

I'm kicking around ideas for a humidity controlled display case in my basement for the same reason. Sounds like you're really good where you are. I'd love to have 35-45 consistently. Heck, I've see a lot on here recently about keeping electrics in these new air-tight cases, over years, is causing really bad finish issues.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The tension of light gauge strings is about 160 pounds, and medium gauge at roughly 185 pounds. Most acoustic guitars weigh less than five pounds. So no issue there.
What does the string tension and an average acoustic guitar's weight have to do with potential damage from temperature and humidity? I mean, it's pretty much a given that all guitars have tensioned strings on them. Guess I'm missing something....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 AM

If your humidity is ok hanging a guitar from the wall is no problem at all.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 AM

I think any wall, inner or otherwise, is fine as long as the guitar hangs clear of the wall. I use String Swing hangers.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

I play mine so often because they are hung on the wall. I use a humidifier in the winter (New Jersey)

Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 AM

I had my Dobro hangin on the wall for months.one night my wife and I walked in at the moment to hear"CRASH"! the neck broke,right where the tuners meet the first fret...needless to say I won't hang any guitars.i know the Dobro is heavy; but It put the fear in me.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 AM

A couple of my guitars have been hanging on walls for over 40 years - no problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion