The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Seagull Artist Series vs. Martin D-16GT

I've spent my life in the sub-$1000 acoustic range, and I'm an absolute die-hard Seagull lover. I currently play a Seagull Maritime Solid Wood series that I got for $700 brand new and love it. But I know that within the next year or two I'm going to feel that urge to explore the next level a little, and I'd like to upgrade to something in the $1000-1300 range (or thereabouts).

Here's my problem: I played what I'm almost sure was a Martin D-16GT (if not the 16GT, then a similar model), and absolutely loved the hell out of it. Perhaps the best acoustic I've ever played. And the D-16GT is dirt cheap for such a great playing and sounding Martin ($1150 brand new is a steal by their standards).

I LOVE Seagull, though. I love the slim headstocks, the QI electronics system, the craftsmanship, all of it. So I'd love to imagine my "next big upgrade" staying within the Seagull line. Since Martin doesn't sell much worth buying in the $300-$700 range, I've never been tempted to switch brands until now.

The Seagull Artist Mosaic Dreadnought with electronics, however, is almost exactly the same price as the stock D-16GT. Granted, I'll have to pay another $100-200 to add a pickup to the Martin, but they're close enough (and that extra $100-200 won't be a deciding factor on its own either way).

Basically, this is the first time that Seagull hasn't feel like the hands-down winner to me, and I'm wondering if my love for the brand on a "fanboy" level is clouding my judgement. I'd love to believe the highest-end Seagull can go toe-to-toe with a mid-range Martin, but I'd like to know if anyone else with experience (especially long-term gigging experience, which I won't get in a guitar shop) would agree with that.

I know, I know, the ultimate answer will be whichever feels and sounds best to me. I'm just wondering if there's any kind of clear, obvious consensus I can draw on to start formulating my plans for the future.

Thanks!

Last edited by dragnet99; 07-27-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

There is certainly nothing wrong with expanding your horizons by trying something different. There is also nothing wrong with being in love with one brand and sticking with it, especially if you know what you like. I happen, for a variety of reasons, to feel the same way about Taylor Guitars that you do about Seagulls, and for that reason will probably always own a Taylor. I have, however, in the last few years, started to add a few other brands to the mix. I have purchased a Larrivee, Eastman, Blueridge, Voyage-Air, Seagull, and Breedlove, all in the last several years. I have loved each one of them, and they have all been stellar instruments. I have sold off most of these, though, but I do however, still own a Taylor (of nine that I have owned over the last 17 years), and the Taylor is still my main guitar. I think your fine giving the Martin a spin, but I also think your fine going with the high-end Seagull. Only you know what will ultimately satisfy you!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks, I agree with a lot of what you're saying (and consider myself equally tempted by Taylor!)

I guess the main reason I felt the need to ask this question here in addition to my own in-person experimentation was to get more perspective.

Being a die-hard fan of Taylor or Martin is straightforward in the long run, since that multi-thousand-dollar dream guitar we all plan on buying one, five or ten years from now makes perfect sense coming from those brands.

But when you're most loyal to a brand that was clearly designed to address the sub-$1000 market, you feel oddly pressured to either stick within that lower price range forever or question whether your favorite brand is worth sticking with beyond it.

Like I said, I love the idea of buying a $1150 Seagull and considering that my last big purchase for a while, and were it not for tempting mid-range Martins like the D-16GT, my plans would be set.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I see your "dilemma". I certainly know that top-of-the-line Seagull, as I had a good friend purchase one, and it was definitely an amazing guitar, and certainly rivaled a Martin D16GT, or a Taylor of similar price-point for that matter. Comparing a Seagull to a Martin is also pretty much like comparing apples to oranges. Seagull offers you a more modern and "innovative" approach to guitar building, whereas the Martin is going to lean more in the direction of a time-tested "vintage" type build (I'm generalizing). I wouldn't get too caught up in the price thing. That Seagull Artist Mosaic is a fantastic guitar, and actually gives you a much more "high-end" aesthetic than the Martin (if that matters to you). I know that for me, if I could only have one guitar, it would be a Taylor (again, there are a variety of reasons for this). It sounds to me like you would definitely be very happy, (and maybe even relieved) with the "high-end" Seagull. Buying the Martin would get you a great (different, but still great) guitar, but based on what you've said, I have the feeling you might wonder if you should have gone with the Seagull.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 PM

There are a couple things to think about.

The first is which guitar you groove on more. I can't address that.

The Artist series are fantastic, indeed. Top notch materials, everything. The Martin, on the other hand, will use materials like Righlite for the fingerboard and bridge, etc. and Boltaron for the binding. I am not aware of any performance difference with these materials. But guitars are an emotional purchase, and you will want to make sure you feel okay with a fingerboard that is essentially high-end pressboard instead of the rosewood that would be on the Seagull.

What Martin produces at this price point is not the same, IMHO, as what Seagull, Breedlove or Larrivee would produce. There are a number of fantastic instruments out there that are full expressions of the guitar builder's art. Just with less bling.

Like I say -- I am not aware there is anything structurally wrong with any of these synthetics. Some of the Martins have necks made of Stratabond, which I think may actually be desirable in terms of rigidity and durability. But would I pay more than $1,000 for a guitar with a Stratabond neck? Or Richlite or Boltaron components? Probably not.

Godspeed!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 PM

As the owner of a Martin D-18 and a Seagull Artist Mosaic QII, I can tell you that they are about as apples and oranges as you can get.

Cedar topped Seagull Artist Mosaics are very warm and subtle, but they lack the volume and the headroom of a spruce topped Martin, which is an acoustic cannon.

Both are superb guitars, but they are different ends of the spectrum.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 PM

That actually helps a lot (the less similar they are, the less tempted I am to compare them). My question though, is would you consider one a fundamentally more "capable" guitar than the other in terms of the general needs of a professional or semi-professional performer/recording artist?

Apples/oranges issues aside, I'm wondering if, hypothetically, you had to trade in your Martin for the Seagull permanently, you'd feel as if you were stepping down to a lower grade of guitar overall, which would be a bad thing, or if you'd simply feel you were trading an apple for an orange, which would be a neutral or lateral move.

Again, I ask because the prices are so infuriatingly close, I can't help but treat them as two equally feasible options.

Thanks so far, guys, you've both been extremely helpful.

Last edited by dragnet99; 07-27-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Oh and also, if they are in fact both more or less "pro grade" instruments (which can mean whatever you'd like it to mean), could you give me some idea of how you choose which one to use in a given situation?

It sounds like the Martin is the hands down winner if you're looking for sheer volume and power (the D-16GT I played was also amazingly loud, in a good way). Beyond that, though, what's your rationale for owning (and presumably playing) both of them?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 PM

I've been pretty impressed when I've played some of these "cheap" Martins. They sound incredible.

The Seagulls are good guitars from the bottom of the line to the top, but I've never played one that I thought had real serious depth or real serious sparkle, and the Mexi-martins often have a lot of both.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM

I own an older Seagull S6 mahonany body / cedar top, and a high end Martin J-40. They do different things, and cost way different amounts. The Seagull has a wider neck and the warmer voice of cedar. I like wide necks, a lot. The Martin has a lower "boomer" tone, more like a baritone singer, which is no big surprise for a rosewood Martin. The Martin will likely retain more value down the road if you ever sell, as it has the magic name.

Look at your mission proflie - how do you play, and where? And don't discount the "it speaks to me factor". If one is tonally better suited to your mental image of guitar tone and feels better to play, forget the name plate.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Have you checked out the Martin RGT's? You can get them used in pretty much mint condition in your price range. I actually am waiting on one now. Rosewood is a completely different animal than mahogany. The D16RGT was the first guitar I fell in love with. If you're that on the fence Maybe wait for one to really speak to you. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:26 AM

Thanks guys, I think my plan for the time being will be to stick with Seagull unless I find a particularly compelling reason not to. The comfort of their necks alone is enough to keep me on board for a while. Martin guitars are beautiful, but lots of guitars are beautiful.

And in either case, my Maritime SWS acoustic/electric does everything I could want for the time being anyway. Best $700 I've spent on a guitar thus far.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet99 View Post
Thanks guys, I think my plan for the time being will be to stick with Seagull unless I find a particularly compelling reason not to. The comfort of their necks alone is enough to keep me on board for a while. Martin guitars are beautiful, but lots of guitars are beautiful.

And in either case, my Maritime SWS acoustic/electric does everything I could want for the time being anyway. Best $700 I've spent on a guitar thus far.
I have been playing Larrivees and domestic Breedlove for a long time, but experienced real turbulance when I picked up a Maritine SWS mini jumbo a while back. The best deal out there hands down.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Yeah better to wait for something that is right if you're spending over a grand and you've never spent that before on a guitar. Try the martin mmv sometime. I bet you could haggle one down to your price range. They're surprisingly great for the price. A model defintely worth considering new near your range.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM

First of all, like others have stated, they are very different guitars. More importantly, I really don't find there to be a real difference between the Artist Series and the SWS (solid wood series) as far as sound and play-ability goes... Perhaps just better finishing. The SWS series can be had for not much money at all and are nice guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion