The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 AM

Default Best Beginner Taylor Guitar?

Which Taylor guitar is best for a beginner playing Dave Matthews music- GS mini-e, 114ce, or 114e?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 AM

I would go with the 114ce, not sure if you need the cutaway or not with Dave Matthews but it's probably easier to find the "ce" instead of just the "e" version.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartNY View Post
Which Taylor guitar is best for a beginner playing Dave Matthews music- GS mini-e, 114ce, or 114e?
In my humble opinion, I wouldn't be buying a Taylor as a first guitar... (If this is indeed your first guitar..) And if not and you are still a beginner, I wouldn't say you'd need another guitar before you actually have a feel for the guitar and know all the nooks and crannies

If this is the case, you might buy a guitar that doesn't sound too good because you have no idea what you want or what you like, or how they are supposed to sound..

First guitar, I'd look at some Seagulls... Supreme guitars at such a reasonable price.. Don't let the price fool you. They are really good, and I doubt a beginner could even tell the difference. That comes with experience
Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflink View Post
In my humble opinion, I wouldn't be buying a Taylor as a first guitar... (If this is indeed your first guitar..) And if not and you are still a beginner, I wouldn't say you'd need another guitar before you actually have a feel for the guitar and know all the nooks and crannies

If this is the case, you might buy a guitar that doesn't sound too good because you have no idea what you want or what you like, or how they are supposed to sound..

First guitar, I'd look at some Seagulls... Supreme guitars at such a reasonable price.. Don't let the price fool you. They are really good, and I doubt a beginner could even tell the difference. That comes with experience
I can't really give this my full agreement. But I understand the sentiment.
However, before I knew better, I bought a cheap, crap guitar, and I nearly gave up playing guitar.
A good guitar will encourage you to play more and improve your skills.
ALWAYS buy the best instrument that you can afford, that you like.
And all three are wonderful guitars.
NEVER BUY A CRAP GUITAR FOR ANYTHING BUT A DECORATION. even then...get it cheap!
Taylor's 1 series, and the GS mini are fairly close in price.
Both with each other and a Seagull.
The 114e can be had for about a bit over $500 (I've seen them for $565 at GC), and a Seagull S6 or GS mini can be had for $499.
They are all three wonderful instruments.
And pretty much cost within a few bucks of each other. With the 114e being the most expensive.
If your pocket is really light, look for any of the above used.
The Seagull will likely be the price leader on the used market. Once I found an S6 with an aftermarket pickup for $300.
It was beaten and well traveled. It also sounded like Angels singing.

It comes down to which one sounds best, and feels best to you.
And every one of the mentioned guitars is a candidate for a long term or forever guitar.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 07-27-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

The 100 series is a good "beginning" Taylor. Also, there is really no reason, as a beginner, to get an acoustic guitar with electronics, and you can save some money by just going with the 114 or a 110, which you can still find at many Taylor dealers, or used (They don't make them anymore without electronics). You can always add a pickup later.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 AM

I would look at a 100 series model. They are not too much more expensive than a Seagull and for me Taylor playability is second to none which for a beginning guitarist is a big plus.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 AM

While I personally would take a Yamaha over an entry line Taylor for a beginner any day (and for the record any guitar can be set up to play like a Taylor) if you are dead set on having Taylor on your headstock I'd go with the gs mini if just because it would always have a spot in the stable as a travel guitar, even when you grow as a player.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorable View Post
...for the record any guitar can be set up to play like a Taylor...
Not every guitar unless your setup includes changing nut width and neck profile too.

A more accurate statement would be "any guitar can be set up to play as easy as a Taylor" but, again it will be limited by nut width, neck profile, scale length, and fretboard radius.

So I guess the best statement would be, "any guitar with the same scale length, nut width, fretboard radius and neck profile can be set up to play as well as a Taylor".

Once you have that, you can't adjust the sound.....

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 AM

I've recently played quite a few guitars looking for a couch guitar even the 114ce mainly because I play an 814ce. I thought in a lower price range the 114 would feel just like my 814 and be great, but I want something smaller. I personally wouldn't start with something as small as the GS Mini. The 114ce is a great way to start if the beginner is 100% certain he or she will continue to play. I would also recommend trying to find a used one. The older the better. Otherwise, in a low price range, check out the Breedloves, too.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM

I dont think you can get a 114 without electronics anymore. But you can save $200 by not getting the cutaway. The 114e is a nice guitar and would be my number one pick in that price bracket beginner or not. BTW, you might want to check out the new sunburst 114e. I might add my first Taylor was a Big Baby. I still think they are a good bargain, just not in the same league as the 114 though.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 AM

A good used, all solid wood Taylor, i.e. A DN3 in the $700-$900 range. If you don't care for cutaways like me, don't get one.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM

I love the GS mini for what it is.... a spectacular travel/couch guitar.
I wouldn't have it as my main guitar although many have( it is a better choice than many lower end full size ones).
electronics aren't really necessary yet. but a little chorus and reverb does certainly liven up an acoustics voice when plugged in. I don't gig, I'm a couch player( and a horrible one at that) but most of my guitars DO have electronics just for the versatility.
a cutaway, while not really necessary does come in handy sometimes. when I grab a MIni or my 324( if you can spring for it, the perfect lower line Taylor), I find it inconvenient to not have the cutaway quite often.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 AM

Hi IheartNY, is there a reason you've only included Taylors as a 'best beginner' guitar? Is it because Dave Matthews plays Taylor?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM

If I might ask - why must it be a Taylor?

They are fine guitars but as a beginner there are other guitars that will do the job just as well for hundreds less. If you go with a cheaper guitar you can spend money on other things such as: case, capo, pick, tuner - perhaps even a decent amp or just set the money aside for when you are ready for a LOT nicer guitar (at that point you will have developed a taste for certain things you prefer in an instrument).

If you quit, a lower priced (solid top) instrument will sell faster and easier. If you keep playing you can bump up to something nicer and keep the starter guitar as a backup or "beater".

If money is no object and you simply want a Taylor than the 100 series stuff would be an excellent choice for a beginner.

I think you should buy a guitar based on how it sounds and plays - not by the name on the headstock. Lots of great guitars out there.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
a Seagull S6...can be had for $499.
Ouch. If you want to buy an S6 for $499, please send me $100 and then go to the guitar store and give them the other $400.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion