The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Default Hardtimes Bluegrass Festival

Probably a long shot, but anyone else headed to the Hardtimes Bluegrass Festival south of Hamilton, MT, tomorrow? I was there for a bit tonight, and on the way back, I started to wonder whether any other AGFers were in the crowd. I'll probably head back for a bit of the afternoon tomorrow.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Well, I went back yesterday and had a great time. I've not been to many bluegrass festivals, so I don't have much to compare this one to, but it seemed to be a fairly small yet very cool experience. Maybe 200 people, tops. The entire festival is on private grounds (essentially, two ranches next to each other). The stage can be seen in the pictures above; that's the whole stage. No amps, no plugged in guitars, just one single mic on the whole stage. The larger groups had to get cozy and gather around the mic.

When one band finished, they simply walked off stage, and the next band walked on stage and got started--without any electrical things to deal with (amps, pickups, etc.), the changeover from one group to the next was quick!

It seemed like most people camped there for the weekend, and it seemed like there were at least a half-dozen different jam sessions happening at any time.

As I said, I don't know if any of this is typical for bluegrass festivals, but it was definitely fun!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Wish I were closer looks like it might have been an awesome time.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Bluegrass festivals are great. Not only good stage shows but a lot of very fun jamming all over the place.
Next time you go to one, take your instrument.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Most Bluegrass festivals I've been to are a larger venue and the music is amplified. Still lots of fun. An intimate setting like that one can be great.

I've got a buddy in PA that has a big party every year on his property and invites lots of musicians. We all just jam and sing and play off and on all day and into the night. Lots of good food, drink and company.
The people that don't play or sing love the informal atmosphere and shout out requests. I just returned from it a week ago and had a ball. It was about 1:30 am Sunday morning and my fingers were getting sore, but there were still people yelling out requests. It is nice to play to an appreciative audience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion