The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
Funny you should ask....I was just reading Bob Taylor's book this morning, and he specifically mentions that the NT neck was introduced in 1999. So 1995 would definitely be pre-NT.
95 is definitely pre NT. If I recall correctly it might have been introduced in 99 but did not become standard until 2001 perhaps? I think there was a year or two of transition where you had both. I think the NTs started on the more expensive guitars. I know my 2000 810ce has an NT neck.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
How?
I have a maple/Sitka 600-SPEC. It is an amazing guitar.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:15 AM

The backs and sides of Cellos are generally made of Maple so that should tell you something.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Hi SF,

It sounds like you got yourself a really cool old Taylor! Congratulations! Sometimes that combination of spruce over maple on a jumbo guitar works perfectly! Glad you found one you like!

- Glenn
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM

My Yamaha is Sitka over Maple when I picked it out I just picked it because of the sound. It sounded better guitars 2x its price.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
...Of course I attribute the sound to being a 90's era, Taylor's sound was different back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this?
I`m guessing a few Guild F-50 owners have a fair idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
...1995 Taylors came with the famous pink poodle case that was actually made by Taylor at their El Cajon factory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
...I was just reading Bob Taylor's book this morning, and he specifically mentions that the NT neck was introduced in 1999...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
...I think there was a year or two of transition where you had both...I know my 2000 810ce has an NT neck.
As the owner of a '96 maple 420 (with factory pink-poodle case) and two maple Westerly Guilds (JF30-12 and F-20) I'll agree on all points: maple/sitka can be a wonderful combination if done right (Jimmy D'Aquisto once said that rosewood belongs on a wall panel - and I heard he knew a little something about making guitars), the '90s were definitely Taylor's golden era, and the NT necks were introduced gradually starting in 1999 (I've got a mid-'99 415 jumbo with a "transition" neck - one-piece 1-11/16", but a beefier contour than the earlier, faster ~1.65" versions). My 420 is my go-to guitar for old-time/bluegrass jams - sacrilege in a sea of D-18's/28's and the occasional J-45/AJ - and I don't feel undergunned in the least; fact is that maple guitars generally have greater projection and note definition (with slightly less sustain) as well as a "drier" tone, making them ideal lead instruments - and the banjo, mandolin, and bass players are all thumpin' maple boxes anyway, so why not me...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion