The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Default NGD - who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this!

Today I happened to be at Guitar Center when a guy came in with two used Taylors to trade in for a brand new Custom Taylor.

One of the guitars he brought in was a 1995 615 (maple/Sitka) in very good condition.

I'd been looking at Gibson J-200's over the last several months, but could never find one I liked (I remember the first one I ever tried years ago was very good . . should've bought it, I guess). So, I took a look at this one and played it. Wow!

I went home and got my custom GS (maple/Englemann) to do an A/B with to confirm what I thought I was hearing.

This 615 is incredibly warm and full of overtones . . . I'm still trying to find the ROSEWOOD that must be in the guitar somewhere.

I needed another guitar like I need a hole in my head, but I couldn't pass this one up. I passed up a similar deal a month ago . . it was a used D-42 that was incredibly warm in its tone . . . should've grabbed it, I suppose, but I just couldn't justify it at the time.

Anyway, this thing is awesome, and will make a great strummer . . . . . it's everything a Gibson J-200 SHOULD be . . . so why aren't they like this?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 AM

Default Maple

You'll see an older 612 in my signature. Great guitar, wonderful sound and my second maple. Great tone and playability.

Of course I attribute the sound to being a 90's era, Taylor's sound was different back then.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Musical minimalist

Mid nineties.....most were really good.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM

Who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this?
I`m guessing a few Guild F-50 owners have a fair idea.
The 615 is a great guitar, enjoy it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Congrats on scoring an amazing guitar! I have always like the 600 series, but I think that the 1990's ones are something really special. Their design is slightly different from the more recent ones and the woods they were able to get back then were a bit higher quality than what they get now. For example, you will notice that the neck is carved out of a single block of wood and is not three pieces glued together. Also, 1995 Taylors came with the famous pink poodle case that was actually made by Taylor at their El Cajon factory. To me, modern Taylors are great guitars, but the 1990s are becoming the golden era for Taylors.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 AM

I'm about to inherit a Maple jumbo from my brother (he owes me money that he can't pay, so I'm getting the guitar in lieu). It was made by the late Rob Ehlers. I've played this guitar a few times and it's a killer. In my many years of guitar playing and recording, I've played and heard many Maple guitars. Most of them I wouldn't want, but there have been a few that really sang. When you get a good one, they can be as satisfying as any other instrument. Congratulations on pulling the trigger on this one. Sounds like a winner!

Bill
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM

The 615 is a great Taylor. Congrats on the score. I am a fan of the old jumbo body and I was sad when they stopped making it.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
…it's everything a Gibson J-200 SHOULD be . . . so why aren't they like this?
Hi SF...

One of the reasons I keep encouraging friends and students to "play before you pay…" with manufactured guitars is based on your thought.

Ordering manufactured guitars on speculation that I heard a particular model of Martin/Taylor/Gibson/Guild/etc. and it sounded great so I'll just find the best price on one and order it sometimes leads to disappointment, and hardly ever leads to "…Wow this is the sound I remembered!"

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Nothing sounds like a good J200...keep looking. I definately wouldn't buy a Tayor instead of one.
If I were looking for a good J200 for a reasonable price I'd look for a 1989/90 Bozeman J200 which were Quartered English Maple & Sitka that is well played in but nice shape.
If I could afford it I would add to my search a 50's one.

The one I have sounded good when I got it, but with age & play it has become much more and is equal to my 2 (Braz/Koa)Lowdens. Very sweet & musical but an almost subsonic bass. A capo on it over 3 ft really produces special sound.

Enjoy the new guitar.The guitar was probably played a lot which can blossom a guitar(some)

Last edited by Athana; 07-26-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Default 90's Taylor's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Congrats on scoring an amazing guitar! I have always like the 600 series, but I think that the 1990's ones are something really special. Their design is slightly different from the more recent ones and the woods they were able to get back then were a bit higher quality than what they get now. For example, you will notice that the neck is carved out of a single block of wood and is not three pieces glued together. Also, 1995 Taylors came with the famous pink poodle case that was actually made by Taylor at their El Cajon factory. To me, modern Taylors are great guitars, but the 1990s are becoming the golden era for Taylors.
There have been numerous threads here about the subject. My personal take on it is that it's not so much the change to the NT neck design, but a concious design choice aimed at changing Taylor's signature sound.

Plus you get to say that you have a "Pink Poodle Case" . It's just fun to say.....

Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM

So, is 1995 pre-NT? I wasn't sure, though it was obvious it was a one-piece neck.

I'm guessing the bracing HAD to be different back then . . the sound is just too different from the Taylors in the last 10 years. Of course, the new "Andy Powers" bracing (in the GO, 800-series, now 700-series, and presumably eventually all the guitars) sounds different than either one of those, too.

Guitar Center had a custom run of only fifty 516's made (with an ebony arm rest, striking bear-claw Sitka top, flamed mahogany back/sides, koa binding, streaked ebony fretboard) . . . and I strongly suspect (after hearing one . . this is what the guy bought that traded in the two Taylors, one of which I bought and is the subject of this thread) that it also had the new "Andy Powers" bracing in it . . . simply based on the sound . . . sorta like the Taylors of the last decade or so, but with a more "Gisbon-esque" bass.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
So, is 1995 pre-NT? I wasn't sure, though it was obvious it was a one-piece neck.
Funny you should ask....I was just reading Bob Taylor's book this morning, and he specifically mentions that the NT neck was introduced in 1999. So 1995 would definitely be pre-NT.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:53 PM

"NGD - who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this!"

I did.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
"NGD - who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this!"
I did.
How?

Is there any documentation as to when the bracing was changed? Same time as going to the NT neck? Any idea of what changes were made?

In the future, I guess we'll know that the "Andy Powers" bracing changes were made in 2013/14/15 . .but probably won't know a lot of details. Just curious about what we know about bracing changes between 1995 and say 2005.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a nice Taylor buy, I also had a Sitka/Maple NGD yesterday with a Jumbo Goodall that came in, I'm loving it!!! It kills any SJ-200 I've played which is saying a lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion