The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Default Hi , Newbie Here !

Hi everyone . I just recently made the switch to Acoustic a few months ago after playing electric for 42 years. I just got tired of dealing with the band scene and the drama and egos involved with it. Here's a photo of my Acoustic which is a Korean made, 1999 Fender DG 20S . It has a Spruce Top w / Mahoghany Back & sides along with a Nato neck. This has such amazing tone and sound and is without a doubt, a true keeper. I couldn't however, find any information as to how long these were produced for and what the retail was on these , so if anybody on here knows such info, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Welcome! Rock it like you stole it. Nothing to add.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 AM

Welcome Jeffo.

Glad you're happy with your guitar. Theres a small group here that are not afraid to deal with the not so $$$ boutique guitars. But to balance it out, there is alot of good advice and information here! Enjoy
Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Welcome! I'm pretty much the opposite, having only owned one electric in all the years I've been playing.......an Archtop that lived in the case until I sold it.

There's lots of good information here, and tons of incentive to play.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Welcome Jeff, welcome.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Have fun. I am not familiar with that guitar.

BTW Dave, I like that "Rock it like you stole it" line. Gonna "steal it like I rocked it."
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffo46 View Post
Hi everyone . I just recently made the switch to Acoustic a few months ago after playing electric for 42 years. I just got tired of dealing with the band scene and the drama and egos involved with it. Here's a photo of my Acoustic which is a Korean made, 1999 Fender DG 20S . It has a Spruce Top w / Mahoghany Back & sides along with a Nato neck. This has such amazing tone and sound and is without a doubt, a true keeper. I couldn't however, find any information as to how long these were produced for and what the retail was on these , so if anybody on here knows such info, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Hi Jeffo...

First Hello and Welcome to the Forum!! Glad you joined and started a thread.

Sounds like you have been at this guitar-stuff for a few years. Enjoy the friendship and guitar talk…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM

I've played one if those and it is nice, one if the best acoustics fender has. I owned a DG8nat for a short time, traded for an electric that I can use to practice with while family is asleep, I didn't like the tone of the dg8 but the dg20s was very nice.
Congratulation on guitar and also common over to the acoustic side! :-)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Welcome Jeff, I'm brand new here too, and like you, I turned to acoustics after tiring of the electric world. Been a long time now, though.

I worked in a music store for a few years and I remember that model being pretty popular. Lots of people raved about the bang for the buck. In fact I knew one country studio musician who owned pair of them. They retailed for 250-300 at the time (late 90s, early 2000s.)

Enjoy
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Hi Jeff,

I am fairly new to the forum too, and welcome! I'm glad more of us are joining this wonderful conversation!

I don't know about this model Fender, but if you like the tone of the guitar and if you like the way it feels when you play, nothing else matters. I have had some weird guitars over the years, and a long time ago I stopped looking at what was written on the headstock and tried to focus on what I heard and felt. Since then, I've been much happier when playing. And, I've bought/traded for better guitars.

From what you wrote, this guitar makes you happy. And that's what it's all about. Making music in the moment.

Last edited by coffeefordinner; 07-25-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I edited my post so I could subscribe to the thread with E-mail notification.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Hey Jeff, Welcome to the AGF! Make sure you spend some time over in the Electric Guitar sub forum (I see you've already visited there) so you can share your experiences.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Welcome to the jungle Jeff!

Coffeefordinner - we could be long lost family..

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM

welcome! I have a 000 alvarez, chinese made, spruce top laminate that I got for 60 bucks. it's light, it sounds great for what it is, came with a cardboard case. I have a good friend who does all my setups for me, and this one needed it done badly. We do each other favors all the time, so he didn't charge me, and he also HAND STICHED the case top back on coz it was half falling off...I didn't ask him too, he just did it. Pretty awesome if you ask me..happy picking, happy posting.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 AM

Lightbulb

Welcome,
I used to have a 96 Fender DG20S, had great tone, but neck was a little beefy, played it for years and got something else, got my money back pretty good in selling it, I had a Bone saddle put on it.

Snark Tuner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion