The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM

Count me in as a Collings fan. My first boutique guitar was a Collings. In many ways, it was a 'gateway' guitar for me and led me into a world of boutique guitars. I was first drawn to the Collings because of the punch and clarity. I recently sold my Collings guitar to thin the herd, but still have a Collings ukulele. They are great guitars.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I actually didn't like Collings guitars initially. Most of what I heard was dreads and they struck me as a bit to metallic when played with a flatpick. That's when I was trying to flatpick Irish traditional music and the tone didn't seem to go with that style of music. I recognized them as really fine guitars but they didn't seem to fit what I was after.

A couple of years later, I was more into fingerpicking country blues and I remember thinking that I should give Collings another try. I have two of them now -- a C-10 and an OM. Both are really great guitars. Funny thing is, they work fine on the rare occasions when I revisit the Irish stuff. Both are really versatile, powerful, impeccably crafted guitars.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM

I agree with others that as more Collings guitars become available, the brand is becoming better known.

I've owned several (still have a gorgeous sunburst OM1A), and the thing that stands out to me is the impeccably clean work that Collings produces. I've never found a flaw in the fit and finish of any Collings I've owned or played in a shop. Tonally, I think they they have a sound of their own, and while most are very nice guitars, I have played a few that sounded just "okay" to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
Collings is the most underrated guitar manufacturer in the industry and it shows in the pricing: They should be fetching 15-20% more. But that's the fickleness of the market place.
Not sure I agree with this, as Collings seems to be pretty steep price wise when compared to other small builders like Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc. If I had to pick a brand that I think is underrated, I'd have to go with Huss and Dalton. Fit and finish are equally on par with Collings, and tonally they are fantastic. I think H&Ds pricing is much more reasonable than Collings as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
They should be fetching 15-20% more.
??? or the others are charging too much ???
sometimes I read this forum, people seems to love paying as much as possible for the good stuff. I guess it comes with the addiction (no offence)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

My recent D2H is really unlike any other guitar that I have ever had...or played...well, maybe an H & D T-DR ...played a ton at the Music Emproium in 2011 and found nothing better than my (Tacoma) Guild D55. This one is SOMETHING! Sitka thats louder than Adi, spectacular fit and finish, Certainly out-Martins the HD28's that I have played...
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
It seems I'm noticing quite a few more Collings threads as of late. Is there a growing number of Collings fans/owners on this site or is it just me? What model do you have? What made you choose to buy a Collings?

I buy and swap a lot but really hope I can hang on to mine. I had heard good things about Collings . This one is no slouch. Any takers?
They are excellent guitars. I compared a Colling's OM1 to a smiler Martin. The Colling's won me over and made feel as if it was worth the asking price (if I could pay the asking price)... Their CJ35 model I am not a huge fan of. Great guitar, but for the asking price not above what other builders are offering for much less... I'm seeing them in more recording artist hands lately.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
no apology needed. Just didn't want you to miss out any guitar forums.
there can never be too many guitar forums!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

A few observations:

1) Collings is making over 2,000 guitars per year now.

2) There are many more authorized Collings dealers in the past several years and there is a large stock of instruments at the dealers.

3) Collings base and option prices have not increased as much over the past 10 years as other builders, such as Goodall, Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz Guitar Company, Bourgeouis, Breedlove, and a host of others.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Default Collings forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsusean View Post
are you talking about this forum http://collingsforum.com/ or another one?
Here is the correct web address for the Collings forum (collingsforum.com/eve) this will get you to the correct page.

Last edited by Dwain @ HCG; 07-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain @ HCG View Post
Here is the correct web address for the Collings forum (collingsfourm.com/eve) this will get you to the correct page.
So that this post isn't missed, that appears to be the first post on AGF by Dwain at Hill Country Guitars--the owner of one of the coolest guitar stores in the USA, right here in Austin, Texas. (Assumed he was on before?)

Dozens and dozens of beautiful Collings guitars, Martins, and many, many other high-end instruments--including the source of the very best guitar in the world, my personal Allison(!).

Now located, not in Wimberley, but near UT campus in Austin.

No affiliation except as a customer (do I get a discount now?)
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
They should be fetching 15-20% more. But that's the fickleness of the market place.
I hope you are kidding... I love collings as much as anyone, but I find them 15-20% too expensive. Being the in mandolin world as well, I think bill makes the best value mandolins in the market. But in my opinion, their ukes and guitars are generally too much in a tone-per-dollar comparo with Martin.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion