The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM

I have owned many seagulls and are nice guitars but in m opinion over built. especially the maritime ones. for maybe 200 more than what your looking the new Gibson j35 and 15 s will be a far better guitar. they really are more of a pro guitar.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchman View Post
I've been pretty impressed when I've played some of these "cheap" Martins. They sound incredible.
You said a mouthful there, Sasquatchman. If the way a guitar sounds is someone's main priority, I'd suggest they'd be hard-pressed to find a better sounding guitar for the money than a PA4R-series Martin . . . neck materials, bracing schemes and glue types notwithstanding.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:12 AM

could someone post a video that shows the seagull artist mosiac and the martin d-16rgt or the d-16 being played? i know they're made of different wood selections but still, ppl would like to hear and see the difference between the "apples and oranges"
Old 10-26-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec11ad View Post
could someone post a video that shows the seagull artist mosiac and the martin d-16rgt or the d-16 being played? i know they're made of different wood selections but still, ppl would like to hear and see the difference between the "apples and oranges"
Welcome to the AGF. One thing to keep in mind when talking guitars here, one persons apple is another's orange and to a lot of us it's all just fruit.
This is an older thread. I saw the MARTIN D16GT price at around $1100 in Canada today a D16GT is $2000.
I did run across a brand new Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall the other day. Very nice but at $1450 I would be looking at some Larrivee comparisons.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 10-26-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet99 View Post
Basically, this is the first time that Seagull hasn't feel like the hands-down winner to me, and I'm wondering if my love for the brand on a "fanboy" level is clouding my judgement. I'd love to believe the highest-end Seagull can go toe-to-toe with a mid-range Martin, but I'd like to know if anyone else with experience (especially long-term gigging experience, which I won't get in a guitar shop) would agree with that.
I've owned two 000-18GEs and a 000-42. I now own a Seagull all-solid (spruce-rosewood) sunburst Concert Hall OM. I prefer the Seagull to those two Martins. It has a great sound, looks, and feel. The Concert Hall costs around $1500-1600 brand new. I picked this one up barely used from Elderly for $900. I consider it one of the best buys I've ever made,
Old 11-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've owned two 000-18GEs and a 000-42. I now own a Seagull all-solid (spruce-rosewood) sunburst Concert Hall OM. I prefer the Seagull to those two Martins. It has a great sound, looks, and feel. The Concert Hall costs around $1500-1600 brand new. I picked this one up barely used from Elderly for $900. I consider it one of the best buys I've ever made,
I had a mint used Martin ooo-16gt for a while this summer. Didn't really bond with it, and flipped it and made $400. This evening I picked up a mint used Seagull Concert Hall SWS and gig bag for $500, which I like better than the Martin. No regrets what so ever.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

You're talking about spending $1150, so I'll just throw it out there that you could find a used D-18 in excellent condition for about $1500--radical improvement over the 16 and the Seagull, in my opinion. People also seem pretty excited about the new special edition spruce top D-15 (different, arguably better, bracing pattern than the 16). Food for thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion