The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Strange policy? (Not exactly guitar content but...)

http://www.fiddleheads.ca/shop/tone_guarantee.htm

The "tone guarantee" guarantees that the tone of your violin will improve within a year. If it doesn't, they will take the it back and refund your money.

Wow imagine if they did this with guitars. Just thought it was funny and worth sharing with you guys. Although like I said it's not exactly guitar content, but can you imagine a guitar shop ever doing this?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 AM

No big deal, Stradivari had the same guarantee. ....Mike
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM

"sure, we can take back your instrument under our tone guarantee policy. but i need to ask you a question:
- did you play regularly for the entire year?"

i think after a year of regular practice, a number of things have occurred:
- the player would have improved substantially, including technique that would improve tone.
- the player would be committed and want to keep their instrument - unlike someone who bought it and never practiced.
- the instrument's tone may have improved.

in other words, i bet there aren't too many who use the policy.

there was this tip on the site as well:

4. Let your Fiddle Enjoy Your Stereo
It may sound ridiculous, but your instrument will benefit from a daily music listening session by the stereo speakers. Or keep your instrument in a room where the television is on much of the time. The vibrations from the speakers will cause your violin, viola or cello to resonate and will speed up the tonal break-in period.
This method is applied to instruments in display cases in museums which cannot be played daily by actual musicians. A basic construction is much like the speaker suggestion above. A recording playing a range of pitches and harmonics runs though speakers under or behind the instrument. It's pretty cool to see a violin's strings and body visibly vibrating as it is being pseudo-played!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM

I heard on the UMGF that Buffalo Bros had a 100% trade up policy, whereby they would take back a guitar you purchased off them and (provided it was in good condition) refund it 100% to go towards another purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion