The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2024, 01:24 PM

Default Electronics modification - mic / piezo stereo out?

I have a Sire Larry Carlton that has a piezo and mic system with a blend knob (also volume and "tone" controls). I've modified electric guitar electronics before, but never an acoustic.

I was wondering if it would be possible to wire both the piezo and mic signals on a TRS. The Fishman rare earth mic blend has this feature, and is also able to still blend the mic in the signal, when a mono cable is used. This would be a very useful added feature.

I think it would be relatively straight forward to access the blend pot terminals bypass it - wire directly to a stereo plug. However, I am not sure how to wire it, so that the blend knob is still operational in mono. I guess when the plug shorts the ring to the sleeve, it would have to route signal through the blend pot... I realize the preamp is on a PCB, but hopefully I won't need to touch anything other than terminals.

What's your opinion on this?
Old 04-26-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

The way the Fishman rare earth mic blend works is that in stereo mode, you are still getting the blend of both sources to the tip, and the mic by itself to the ring. So in order to truly separate the two you have to manually adjust the mono output to full pickup when you use in stereo mode.

I think a similar scheme would work for you. Just mult the mic, pre-blender, to the ring of the TRS jack and leave the tip as is.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
The way the Fishman rare earth mic blend works is that in stereo mode, you are still getting the blend of both sources to the tip, and the mic by itself to the ring. So in order to truly separate the two you have to manually adjust the mono output to full pickup when you use in stereo mode.

I think a similar scheme would work for you. Just mult the mic, pre-blender, to the ring of the TRS jack and leave the tip as is.
Thanks for the info.
Is it as simple as splitting the mic to the blender and the ring? That would mean that when a mono cable is used, one of the two mic signals will be going to ground. I guess that works if it's how the rare earth is set up...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification