The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Sound memory and guitar-comparison videos

I watch a lot of videos comparing guitars.

I prefer the ones with identical short musical clips.
My memory just doesn't retain sound for very long.

Take a video in which a full 3-minute piece containing many styles is played on one guitar, then some talking, then the next guitar is played.
By the time the second guitar starts (4 or more minutes later) what the first sounded like (when playing the style at the beginning) has faded away.

I think clips of 10 to 15 seconds are best, preferably with no talking between guitars.

Am I alone in preferring short clips?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM

The Tony Polocastro videos on youtube are the best I've seen for comparing the sounds of various guitars.

Every guitar he's ever demo'd was done in the same "studio" with the same mic and preamp settings. He plays the same songs.

You can pull up the videos for the guitars you'd like to compare and play them immediately after one another - playing the identical song. It's pretty good, if he's demo'd the guitars you're interested in...
Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
The Tony Polocastro videos on youtube are the best I've seen for comparing the sounds of various guitars.

Every guitar he's ever demo'd was done in the same "studio" with the same mic and preamp settings. He plays the same songs.

You can pull up the videos for the guitars you'd like to compare and play them immediately after one another - playing the identical song. It's pretty good, if he's demo'd the guitars you're interested in...
I agree his are among the best.

But this thread is about length of clip and memory.

Tony's comparisons would work better for me if he separate his famous piece into several sections.
Too late now of course.

Last edited by Tico; 10-16-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I agree with your comments Tico. I too prefer short identical clips and for the same reason.

It's also how I A/B guitars, and for that matter picks. I'll play a short chord progression with one and immediately switch guitars. I'll repeat the same progression changing guitars back and forth a few times to really detect the nuances.

Sorry to wander slightly, but it fits right in with your short sound clip and tonal memory analysis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion