The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Post Feedback on Taylor 2013 Spring Limited 400 series...

Has anyone played the 400 series 2013 Spring Limiteds? Would like to hear your feedback/opinions if you have. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Got to play the 416ce spring LTD on Saturday when I bought my new one. I was really impressed with it, sounded fantastic and a pretty good price too. It seemed a little brighter than most Taylors I've come across but I would have gladly gotten it. Very clear and articulate. My only knock on it was the satin finished b/s; I just prefer the gloss, nothing more than that. If you can, give it a play somewhere, I really enjoyed playing that one!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks for your comments, ahutt59! I like the "very clear and articulate" description, but not so much the brightness comment. Like you, I am not fond of the satin finish either, but I do like the price and had played a regular 416ce a while back that I really liked. I'm going to test a 410ce 2012 Fall Blackwood series tomorrow that's been sitting at a local dealer since the fall.
And congrats on that PS16ce beauty! I can see how you picked that over the 416ce!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM

I played a 412ce a month ago and again on Sunday along with several other GC versions. I'm mostly still a beginner and by no means an expert. Spent over an hour going through them all and out of the 5, I would place it as my second favorite.

I do like satin finishes and I though it showed off the granadillo wood very nicely. I also liked the maple binding and the progressive fretboard markets. It felt warm to the touch and to hold all that wood and I think I remember it feeling lighter than some of the others. I would also call the sound as very "even" if that is a description. I mostly play fingerstyle and it seemed to have good "balance" on all the strings - no one too loud or too quiet, no one ringing out more than the others. Price wise it was right in the middle of the 5, and it finished ahead of a much more expensive version.

The one thing I didn't like about it was the 25-1/2" scale length compared to the other GC models. If it had been the more traditional GC scale, I might have liked it better.

In my past two trips, my top finisher is a GC6e which has been on the wall for a while. Something about the way it sounds just works for me. However, I just can't get used to the gloss neck.

Scully
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 534 View Post
Thanks for your comments, ahutt59! I like the "very clear and articulate" description, but not so much the brightness comment. Like you, I am not fond of the satin finish either, but I do like the price and had played a regular 416ce a while back that I really liked. I'm going to test a 410ce 2012 Fall Blackwood series tomorrow that's been sitting at a local dealer since the fall.
And congrats on that PS16ce beauty! I can see how you picked that over the 416ce!
The 2012 FLTD 400 series actually reminds me a lot of the 2013 FLTD 400 series in many ways. Both guitars sound great for single note finger-style, but when strummed they get messy, the 2013 less so because of the spruce top. Of the 2013 FLTDs, I've only played the 414 and 412, and I did not like the 412 at all, way too little bass. However the 414 had nice tones for finger-style, very bell-like tones that rang loudly.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 534 View Post
Thanks! Yea that PS16ce was a real gem to come by, the past ones they had sold super fast and this one with the cool sapwood stripe was gonna go quick too.

Good luck with your search! I don't think you can go wrong with a 400 series, they get rave reviews from a lot of folks I know. If you come across one you like snag it then and there!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM

I tried out a 414CE spring limited last Saturday. While the guitar is beautiful I played it and it was way too bright. did not apeal to me in the least. My GS mini sounds deeper than that did. Kind of surprised as usually the LTDs have some special magic. I have a 816CE and my friend that was with me has a 2012 514CE and even he did not like it one bit. first thing that came out of his mouth when I played it was OOH that is BRIGHT! And not in a good way. I would say very much a trebly sounding guitar. did not try any of the others but the 414CE LTD did nothing for me.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 AM

I just bought it and it's my first Taylor too. For me,It's a beautiful and very bright sound like rosewood. I'm very satisfy it because it's 4xx series and had the limiteds wood with price lower than regular.
But I have some confuse about string gauge. Taylor web site show the 414ce-LTD with Elixir Medium specs.. Normally Taylor use Elixir Light with X14 (GA) models but for 2013 LTD is not. Anyone can confirm that web is it correct?
2013 Taylor 414ce-LTD (sitka/granadillo)
2013 Veelah V1-OMCE (sitka/laminate mahogany)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Default Feedback on Taylor 2013 Spring Limited 400 series...

I haven't tried any if this year's limiteds, though my band mate and I were both impressed by last year's 412 LTD with rosewood back and sides. He nearly bought it but went for a Gibson Songwriter instead - dread was more what he wanted.

Personally I don't let gloss or satin steer my choice of guitar. On the right guitar the satin can often look and feel very classy - and a cheap
asian-built laminate guitar can be very glossy!

Still, I think I should get myself up to Stockholm
soon and try the latest offerings. Suffering GAS at the moment, thinking OM or 000 style...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscully View Post
The one thing I didn't like about it was the 25-1/2" scale length compared to the other GC models. If it had been the more traditional GC scale, I might have liked it better.
I have the 412ce and the scale is 24 7/8". It's a typo on their website. I called to confirm before I purchased it and then measured it as soon as it arrived. Their website also says there are Elixir Mediums on, but again, it's a typo. They are Elixir Lights.

I am very pleased with the sound and playability. I am an average player, at best, and was looking for a finger style guitar. I like the sound, but if you are looking for bass, this is NOT your guitar. However, I don't find it to be as bright and tingling as others do. Of course, YMMV. It's definitely a comfortable guitar to play.

I just purchased a ZOOM H2N. Once I figure out how to use it, I'll post a clip.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 AM

i briefly tried the 414ce spr ltd. it was already sold so i didn't wanna play it much. i prefer the larger GS' over the GA's myself so the 416 woulda been nicer to try but none in stock.
I didn't find it overly bright or shrill. the grenadillo is very similar tonally to rosewood. i think that Taylor did a spectacular job with this years spr ltd's. it's gonna be very hard to top that. these are going to very difficult to find used in the future. if you find one, grab it ! i have the 616ce spr ltd and am trying to find the matching 614ce to it. good thing i have the rest of my life !
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Isn't "clear and articulate" just Taylor-Speak for bright and unforgiving? I'm just asking because I had a 2007 Fall LTD for five years that I kept telling myself was "clear and articulate".
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Sorry to resurrect an older post, but as an owner of a 414ce Spring LTD, I thought I could give my 2 cents.

Granadillo is, in my opinion, a fair bit brighter than rosewood, to which it is often compared. It definitely has that characteristic Taylor brightness (and loads of sustain), but it doesn't go so far as to sound "nasally" (which is how I would describe other, overly-bright Taylors I've played). I found its sound to be more pleasing than ovangkol, though, which is why I ultimately ended up springing for the LTD over the standard 414ce.

There are times I wish it had a bit more *oomph* in the lower registers, but all in all, I'm really enjoying it. The playability is out of this world (yay, Taylor! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkaratp View Post
I just bought it and it's my first Taylor too. For me,It's a beautiful and very bright sound like rosewood. I'm very satisfy it because it's 4xx series and had the limiteds wood with price lower than regular.
But I have some confuse about string gauge. Taylor web site show the 414ce-LTD with Elixir Medium specs.. Normally Taylor use Elixir Light with X14 (GA) models but for 2013 LTD is not. Anyone can confirm that web is it correct?
They come with Elixir Light strings; it looks like the website has been updated accordingly.

Colossians 3:17

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion