The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Default OM question

I have always played dread style guitars. I had a lowden O32 but under strumming it seemed to break up. I have been thinking of going to an O style guitar. Can anyone give me an idea what type of woods I should look for that would give me the sound of a Dread but the comfort of an O? Please help.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Like you I had always played dreads until I bought my Eastman E8 OM. This guitar puts out lots of volume, which to my ears, is not discernibly any less than a dread. It is rosewood and sitka but my understanding is that the Adi top might be even louder. It holds up great under strumming yet plays fingerstyle very well. Now if I were to buy a new guitar, I would go for an OM over a dread.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM

+1 on the eastmans. Always liked dreads myself but tried the eastmans and the oms are right up there with the dreads. After one myself. Great guitars. My larrivee l shape is also very good but not quite an om. Try an Eastman if u can.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:17 PM

If you with the Adi top it is stiffer than Sitka and will allow you to flatpick harder before it breaks up.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Not sure what your price range is but I think a nice Martin OM-28v (rosewood) would be great and would have a big voice.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi EB,

I think whatever wood combination you like in a dreadnought you will also like in an OM. So if you like spruce/rosewood or spruce/mahogany, that's what I would look for in an OM. I would play lots of them to see what works well.

I do agree with Dru that the Martin OM-28V is a great choice for spruce/rosewood.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion