The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-25-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Steady Tempo

Shooting for steady tempo or play with tempo (Rubato, Accelerando, etc.) here and there?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-25-2024, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Shooting for steady tempo or play with tempo (Rubato, Accelerando, etc.) here and there?
Both Derek. The crucial aspect is that my timing is spot on - but that doesn't mean that it is always steady.

However, I do like to sing freely across a steady guitar. To be able to play one rhythm and sing another is something that I work on - it is sort of my thing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:03 PM

Totally depends on the playing situation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-25-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Totally depends on the playing situation.
Highly depends on the piece of music in question.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Both Derek. The crucial aspect is that my timing is spot on - but that doesn't mean that it is always steady.

However, I do like to sing freely across a steady guitar. To be able to play one rhythm and sing another is something that I work on - it is sort of my thing.
That's where I always find a challenge. It takes me a lot of slow practice to get it right
Old 04-26-2024, 12:00 PM

I think that if you show you can keep time, people will buy into what you're doing more readily (even if they're "civilians" or "lead guitar players" who don't even know what time is.) Once you've done that, you can deviate from it and it will be clear that the deviation is a choice. It's not because you can't play in time and/or don't know the difference.

Listen to just about any of Dylan's early solo stuff, versus just about anyone else of that era. The man's rock steady, almost always. You can sit and play with it. It gives what he's doing cred and gravitas. You may not always understand what his words are about -- heck, even he might not -- but the steady time helps to sell it.

Couch Standards
Old 04-26-2024, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
That's where I always find a challenge. It takes me a lot of slow practice to get it right
A metronome helps.

When I was running dulcimer workshops I would suggest folks played with a metronome in order to work on fluidity and phrasing. I was often asked "Won't that make me metronomic?" So I would switch on my metronome and play the melody to "Danny Boy" just up and down one string to show how you can move the phrasing to be expressive and lyrical whilst still hitting strict time.

Try clapping a beat and then singing across it. If you can do that then it's a small step to playing a rhythm on guitar and sing across it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I am thinking for expressive musical purposes being more liberal with tempo than compatible with an eye for catching up with some metronome pace. As
already mentioned what is doable to effect varies with the piece and perhaps even the particular situation of the environment.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am thinking for expressive musical purposes being more liberal with tempo than compatible with an eye for catching up with some metronome pace. As
already mentioned what is doable to effect varies with the piece and perhaps even the particular situation of the environment.
Derek, I also sing in a Welsh MVC where tempo changes within a piece of music are commonplace and controlled by the conductor. Perhaps "timing" and "tempo" are two different things? We must always be in time but fluidity vary the tempo. Perhaps I haven't explained that well?

Old 04-27-2024, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi rick-slo
For me music ebbs and flows like a river.

There are styles which 'demand' rigid adherence (or at least the players do) to tempo. Dance music is often this way…

But so much music is expressive, and it needs to breathe to be effective.

That said, I will match the tempo/rhythm/ style of a leader of music who is in charge of the tempos when I'm a backing player in live situations. If I'm playing solo, I tend to arrange things to flex.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write