The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-01-2024, 04:59 PM

Default Stereo system for Bluetooth play

I’m looking at getting a nice pair of speakers for my study when I move flat. These will mostly be used for Spotify via Bluetooth.

Would I be better getting active speakers with built in Bluetooth or a separate amp with Bluetooth and speakers in terms of sound quality? Budget up to £500, which probably translates to much the same in dollars.

The Steljes NS3 at £279 looks pretty tempting. Alternatively there’s the Tangent Ampster BT II & Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 at £229.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:12 AM

Hi Foxo, that is a great question. I will be really interested in the replies.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz77 View Post
Hi Foxo, that is a great question. I will be really interested in the replies.
If it helps I’ve narrowed it down to two.

These Bluetooth speakers at £279:
https://www.richersounds.com/steljes-ns3-black.html

This Bluetooth amp with these speakers:
https://www.richersounds.com/tangent...r-bt-mkii.html
https://www.richersounds.com/wharfedale-9-0-black.html

I spoke to Richer Sounds and with cables and banana plugs it comes to just over £300 for the latter.

I just don’t know which will give me better sound quality. The standalone Bluetooth speakers have higher wattage amps built in but the previous has a Bluetooth antenna which I suspect might give a better signal.

I was also quoted £670 for a 100 watt Yamaha amp and some good 150 watt floor standing speakers inc cables and banana plugs but I’m just not really looking to spend that much right now.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’m looking at getting a nice pair of speakers for my study when I move flat. These will mostly be used for Spotify via Bluetooth.

Would I be better getting active speakers with built in Bluetooth or a separate amp with Bluetooth and speakers in terms of sound quality? Budget up to £500, which probably translates to much the same in dollars.

The Steljes NS3 at £279 looks pretty tempting. Alternatively there’s the Tangent Ampster BT II & Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 at £229.
The Bluetooth connection might have a lot more to do with how your system sounds than the mechanical design and construction of the speakers themselves.

This Times Wirecutter article on understanding Bluetooth audio has a pretty good explanation of the associated problems with Bluetooth codecs and audio transmission.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/b...uetooth-audio/
Old 05-02-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The Bluetooth connection might have a lot more to do with how your system sounds than the mechanical design and construction of the speakers themselves.

This Times Wirecutter article on understanding Bluetooth audio has a pretty good explanation of the associated problems with Bluetooth codecs and audio transmission.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/b...uetooth-audio/
Thanks, I’ll have a wee read of that soon.

I’m not concerned about Bluetooth quality with my iPhone 12 at least, I use it regularly with my FiiO K7 and HiFiman Edition XS and they sound absolutely brilliant. I’ve compared it to lossless via Amazon music and USB and the difference, though marginally noticeable, is not that great. There are Apple AirPlay systems though of course which should provide good quality, but these are quite expensive. This one is tempting though:

https://www.richersounds.com/marantz...n-1-black.html

Old 05-02-2024, 08:52 AM

Might have a look at Sonos speakers.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, had a look. I think I’ll stick to a more conventional bookshelf system though. The last link I posted (Marantz Melody X and Dali Oberon 1) has really piqued my interest, although I wasn’t looking to spend anywhere near £700 it looks like it’s what I’m looking for in terms of sound quality.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I note that you’ve considered an amp/speakers.

Given that I already had a quality ‘70s vintage stereo system, that’s the route I took with my amp (100w Yamaha CR1000) and speakers (ADS L810s). In the mid-80s we moved and I didn’t bother to setup the system. It’s since remained in a storage in my house. A year ago, I decided I wanted to enjoy it again in the rec room I’d been renovating by myself so before even setting-up, I had a tech give it a good going over. Didn’t need much and now it’s delivering beautiful music via a small bluetooth device (about $40) connected to the amp, and streaming Spotify.

Those quality stereo systems of the ‘70s can still be excellent and likely acquired relatively inexpensively. Steaming via bluetooth on them is cheap and easy.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Fwiw...I’ve owned a quality amp and speakers since the mid-70s. In the mid-80s we moved and I didn’t bother to setup the system. It’s since remained in a storage in my house. A year ago, I decided I wanted to enjoy it again in the rec room I’d been renovating by myself so before even setting-up, I had a tech give it a good going over. Didn’t need much and now it’s delivering beautiful music via a small bluetooth device (about $40) connected to the amp, and streaming Spotify.

Those quality stereo systems of the ‘70s can still be excellent and likely acquired relatively inexpensively. Steaming via bluetooth on them is cheap and easy.
I have similar and agree it works well sonically. I can see, however, that the not insignificant advantage of an all BT system is that you can set it up anywhere and don't need to contend w/wires.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
In addition to reestablishing my vintage stereo system in my newly renovated large open rec room that I mentioned above, I’ve setup that system at one end in the recording space, and bought a new LG TV and a Sonos system (Arc + Sub + pair of Era 100s) at the other end for the home theater experience. The Sonos is great for that, but for pure music listening, my stereo system blows it out of the water.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:45 PM

Hmm, some interesting options, thanks both. I’m still veering towards the fancy little Marantz unit due to its Apple AirPlay but gives me something to think about.

I guess that’s the bonus I am due to receive in July spoken for already.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:25 PM

The only small powered speakers I've ever heard that sound like real hifi are the Ruark bookshelf ones. Around £300. Bluetooth enabled, they are superb.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
The only small powered speakers I've ever heard that sound like real hifi are the Ruark bookshelf ones. Around £300. Bluetooth enabled, they are superb.
Thanks very much for bringing me back to my original budget.

I really like the design of those and they don’t break the bank either. If I’m to go for a proper streaming hifi system I’m looking at £700 easily. Will definitely give Ruark some thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN