The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcboy View Post
Nice! Played a bunch of Cole Clark recently (and owned one briefly), and I love the tone of the Angel model in Bunya/Blackwood and Redwood/Blackwood.
Which wood combo did you get?

They are indeed very different from anything else due to the internally carved top where the thickness of the top is varied at different spots.

When playing unplugged, although lower in volume, I find it to produce among the cleanest fundamental notes in each string, with absolutely no rogue overtones (I believe this is why it is often labelled as 'thin' or 'tinny'. I love it but can easily understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea). It makes the sound almost seem filtered, which in a way it is, filtered via the internal carve design. I also think the high notes provides a 'transcendent' omni-directional effect, which must be played in person to make sense, youtube videos won't do it justice.

Plays like a dream (Plek'ed), and the satin throughout finish makes it look like a piece of art hanging on the wall.

Enjoy your cool looking instrument!
I got the Bunya/Queensland Maple combination. I can’t believe these things aren’t more popular here in the US. These things are truly guitars made for players!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
Are there any Cole Clarks that aren't so twangy / stringy sounding? I was thinking of getting one as I like that they have the same nut width and radius as my J45, but all the ones I hear acoustically seem to be missing depth in their sound.
The Angel Bunya/Queensland Maple combo has warmth and is balanced.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
I got the Bunya/Queensland Maple combination. I can’t believe these things aren’t more popular here in the US. These things are truly guitars made for players!
I would think the appeal of these guitars would be limited to acoustic players who need a steady stage guitar and want something which delivers but without the price tag of say a Turner Renaissance.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

The Angel is definitely best sounding of the Cole Clark models from an acoustic-only standpoint. The build is lighter and the sound hole is larger than the Fat Lady. The neck-through-body is a big part of why the Cole Clarks sound different unplugged. I've owned three and still own my all-blackwood Angel 2. I spent years and many, many guitars trying to get really great amplified tone. More pickup systems, preamps, effects and amplifiers than I care to think about. I'd get close but everything was always lacking.

I'd heard about the Cole Clarks but never encountered one in the wild. Then the local store started carrying them so I went in and played a few acoustically. As reported, just okay. Not bad, just different. So then I brought my little Bose S1 Pro in and plugged straight in, set everything flat, turned up the volume and strummed. My mouth hit the floor. Oh. My. Now I get it. I ended up buying all three models over a short period of time. Two have since left but the Angel remains and is the standard for anything plugged in. And to date everything comes up woefully short against it.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:26 AM

I just bought an Angel 1 e BM too.
I loved the pickup system! The acoustic tone was very nice too. Different, but I actually appreciated it a lot, very pure and resonant!
I returned it because there was not alot of saddle height, about 2,5 mm on bass side, and I wanted a lower action, which would not leave much break angle over the saddle, if sanded down.
The nut was ok, but there had been two atempts to cut some of the strings, so there was litle extra slots(not fully cut). Only a cosmetic thing though.
I also wish it had a slightly thicker neck at the nut, it was quite slim there, but I could live with it.
I would actually like another if it had more saddle height or lower action!
Old 05-22-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The Angel is definitely best sounding of the Cole Clark models from an acoustic-only standpoint. The build is lighter and the sound hole is larger than the Fat Lady. The neck-through-body is a big part of why the Cole Clarks sound different unplugged. I've owned three and still own my all-blackwood Angel 2. I spent years and many, many guitars trying to get really great amplified tone. More pickup systems, preamps, effects and amplifiers than I care to think about. I'd get close but everything was always lacking.

I'd heard about the Cole Clarks but never encountered one in the wild. Then the local store started carrying them so I went in and played a few acoustically. As reported, just okay. Not bad, just different. So then I brought my little Bose S1 Pro in and plugged straight in, set everything flat, turned up the volume and strummed. My mouth hit the floor. Oh. My. Now I get it. I ended up buying all three models over a short period of time. Two have since left but the Angel remains and is the standard for anything plugged in. And to date everything comes up woefully short against it.
This is great information on the Angel! I had the same experience when I plugged mine in. I thought, you have got to be kidding me! All the time and money spent chasing amplified tone and the ColeClark is plug and play...
Old 05-22-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOCarroll View Post
I just bought an Angel 1 e BM too.
I loved the pickup system! The acoustic tone was very nice too. Different, but I actually appreciated it a lot, very pure and resonant!
I returned it because there was not alot of saddle height, about 2,5 mm on bass side, and I wanted a lower action, which would not leave much break angle over the saddle, if sanded down.
The nut was ok, but there had been two atempts to cut some of the strings, so there was litle extra slots(not fully cut). Only a cosmetic thing though.
I also wish it had a slightly thicker neck at the nut, it was quite slim there, but I could live with it.
I would actually like another if it had more saddle height or lower action!
You know there are two screws in the bridge plate that raise and lower the saddle. Those screws could have been set too low, therefore not exposing much saddle to work with.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:27 PM

^ DO NOT ADJUST THOSE SCREWS!

As explained on the Cole Clark website, and written on the paperwork which ships with every guitar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole clark
The screws next to the bridge saddle are to keep the tension of the piezo pickup system under the bridge. These are NOT for adjusting the saddle height. Please do NOT adjust these as it will likely lead to expensive repairs which are not covered under warranty.
The exact same applies to any other guitar with a similar pickup system. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maton FAQ
Can I adjust the action of my Maton guitar with the screw on the bridge?

The screws on the bridge are only holding the piezo pickup from the inside of your guitar. They cannot be used to adjust the action. You might damage your guitar if you tighten them too much.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
^ DO NOT ADJUST THOSE SCREWS!

As explained on the Cole Clark website, and written on the paperwork which ships with every guitar:

The exact same applies to any other guitar with a similar pickup system. For example:
Thank you for posting this! Unfortunately, one of the guys at the shop where I bought mine messed with the screws on my Angel when he was adjusting the action. It sounds great plugged in, but I don't know how much he turned them or if he tried to adjust them back to the factory position.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:50 PM

Oh dear. A dealer should know better. But it sounds as if no harm was done. If it sounds right to your ear, it probably is right. If in doubt, any authorised Cole Clark repairer could adjust it.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
You know there are two screws in the bridge plate that raise and lower the saddle. Those screws could have been set too low, therefore not exposing much saddle to work with.
As already written, they are not for that. I did look at those screws first and though " ah!, easy fix", but I picked up the manual/booklet before I did anything, and of course read that they were not for that.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:04 PM

I found this from a thread back in September 2020 where someone adjusted the screws on a Cole Clark and contacted Cole Clark for some help. Here was the reply:

To adjust, assuming these bridge screws are loose, tighten them until you feel the piezo come up against the bridge, which will be the first bit of tension you come up against, then give another quarter turn. That’s it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion