The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2022, 08:59 PM

Default Correct sitting posture/recommend a chair

33 years old and I am starting to realize my daily posture is probably not what it should be. I am going to start working on correcting it but I’m sure my guitar sitting posture is not helping either. Today I was playing an I believe I caused a pinched nerve. No pain but my shoulder blade area felt like it started to go numb in the middle of me playing.

Can anyone recommend a guitar chair that is specifically made for correct posture?
Old 03-24-2022, 09:11 PM

You'll get lots of different preferences (you can also search the forum) such as

https://www.k-m.de/brand/en/brand-ne...nd-orchestras/

or

https://healthydesign.com/saddle-sea...for-musicians/

but in addition to the chair, have you also considered guitar posture, hands etc?

Ll.
2022 Logan Custom Telecaster
2023 Eastman 910CE-TC
Old 03-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Correct sitting posture/recommend a chair

Lots of choices at different price points for a variety of players’ needs. I have a Soundseat and it works best for me in terms of comfort and body position. I also play with a strap that helps keep my guitar at the right angle without raising either leg. Keeping my feet flat on the floor really helps my back and hips. You may have to go and try a few different designs to see which works for your size and stature.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-24-2022, 09:49 PM

I've taken the opposite approach. I "know" that electrics mostly need to be played standing up--you're playing with others, and hopefully in front of others. And with acoustics I don't want to be limited--if somebody comes over I want to play for, I don't want to be able to do it only with a "special" chair.

I do focus on posture and technique, but I'm trying to be versatile with how I'm playing.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:54 AM

Rockguy - there are several things you need to look at:
  • Don’t support the neck of the guitar with your wrist - the neck of the guitar should either be held at an angle by a strap, or balanced on a knee, or a neck up device. Your wrist needs to be free, and essentially, hang. Jamey Andreas has some good videos about this. You should Google her website.
  • You want to sit high enough so that the guitar is not pushing under your ribcage.
  • You want to be in a neutral position, where your upper body\ shoulders are relaxed, and the guitar is hanging down at a comfortable level to reach

I have varied my seating over the years, but I like a stool with adjustable height on casters. A foot stand can help too. I have also used a good office chair without arms, but they don’t always raise high enough for my liking. I like the casters because it allows my lower body a little ‘wiggle room’. (Literally!)

I have a dreadnaught that I play with a strap and a 00 that I play with a neck up device. Depending on your body size and height, you might find you need to play a guitar that is thinner, lighter, or smaller.

Since you spend hours playing these beasts, it’s imperative that you know your body and become very aware of how things feel while you are playing. Plus, if it hurts, you need to change something. And one more thing: be aware of other factors that add to the stress on your upper body - Laptop usage especially!

As others have\will mention, a ‘Soundseat’ is a great item that will last you many years. A less expensive alternative is a high wooden stool. I use a ‘Roc-n-Soc’ drum throne that I purchased many years ago.

The human body is meant to move and not be static. Take frequent breaks and look into stretching exercises\yoga. IMO, when we’re learning, we contract our muscles and get really tight from the stress. You have to stay as loose as possible. Good luck with this!

Rick
Old 03-25-2022, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Soundseat. It's a small business, but Bretta is wonderful to work with. Lots of options to choose from. Great quality seats.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:50 AM

There are some fine chairs out there if you can't play standing. But I don't know if anyone has invented a chair that prevents you from slumping or holding your wrist at a weird angle. A chair with a properly designed low back rest might be good. Your back will not thank you for altering the natural curve for very long, and the older you get the more it will complain about it. I'm not a doctor (and don't even play one on TV) but shoulder problems seem to indicate possible neck angle issues.

I suggest playing with a strap and agree that frequent breaks from sitting are a good idea. You might want play in front of a mirror or get someone to take a picture/video so you can check your posture. If you sing slumping is a doubly poor idea.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-25-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
I've taken the opposite approach. I "know" that electrics mostly need to be played standing up--you're playing with others, and hopefully in front of others. And with acoustics I don't want to be limited--if somebody comes over I want to play for, I don't want to be able to do it only with a "special" chair.

I do focus on posture and technique, but I'm trying to be versatile with how I'm playing.
I'm of the same mindset. I play all over the place, in the basement, in the living room on the couch, out on the patio. If something goes numb, to me that would be a sign that I needed to take a little break, stretch and mix up a drink, not buy a new chair.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-25-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
33 years old and I am starting to realize my daily posture is probably not what it should be. I am going to start working on correcting it but I’m sure my guitar sitting posture is not helping either. Today I was playing an I believe I caused a pinched nerve. No pain but my shoulder blade area felt like it started to go numb in the middle of me playing.

Can anyone recommend a guitar chair that is specifically made for correct posture?
Two words: NeckUp Strap!

https://www.neckup.com/Products/NeckUp/GS-1.html

This will allow you to maintain a comfortable sitting position in almost any chair.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-25-2022, 07:29 AM

I prefer a stool with a back support. When I play jams they provide chairs. Something like a kitchen chair without arms, a folding chair, or one of those plastic and steel framed chairs.

It's up to your preference. But now I am going to sound like your parents. I can't believe I am saying this, Don't slouch.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-25-2022, 08:02 AM

Here's what I tell people regarding correct playing posture.

Scoot your butt all the way forward in your chair, right to the edge of the seat.

Sit up straight with both feet flat on the floor.

Shoulders & arms should be completely relaxed.

Constantly remind yourself to sit up straight and completely relax your shoulders.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, turn your wrists so your palms face forward.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, flex your right bicep until your right forearm is parallel to the floor. Then bring your right hand to your tummy.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, flex your left bicep until your left arm us fully bent.

Take note of where your right hand and your left hand are. This is your natural playing posture.

Using a strap, adjust your guitar so that it hangs where your right hand is over the sound hole and your left hand is on the fretboard.

This is similar to the classical position however, unlike the classical position, NO PART OF YOUR BODY IS SUPPORTING THE GUITAR. The guitar is completely supported by the strap.

This position is often referred to as "classical position with a strap."
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-25-2022, 08:11 AM

It's the guys who play 'couch guitars' that concern me. I mean, what kind of posture can these guys have as they slob out on the couch in front of the TV, nachos to the left and cans of Bud to the left?
Old 03-25-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Frankly a simple wooden garden chair without arms, for what is called "western" playing .i.e. guitar resting n your right leg. (opposite to classical or jazz styles)

The important things to consider is your upper leg should be parallel with the floor. and your back is straight, not slumped back.

The upper leg will then enable you t rest your guitar on your thigh with no need to hold it still with either hand - just secured by the inside of your elbow of the picking hand.

With some you can put your butt right back so the back rest keeps you vertical, but playing without a back rest is better posture.

Something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373902573...0AAOSwhTVh7~7w
Old 03-25-2022, 08:20 AM

Mitylite Flex One CS folders. Nothing else compares for long session comfort and supporting my back with proper ergonomics.

https://mitylite.com/products/flexone-cs-folding-chair
Old 03-25-2022, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Here's what I tell people regarding correct playing posture.

Scoot your butt all the way forward in your chair, right to the edge of the seat.

Sit up straight with both feet flat on the floor.

Shoulders & arms should be completely relaxed.

Constantly remind yourself to sit up straight and completely relax your shoulders.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, turn your wrists so your palms face forward.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, flex your right bicep until your right forearm is parallel to the floor. Then bring your right hand to your tummy.

Keeping your shoulders & arms completely relaxed, flex your left bicep until your left arm us fully bent.

Take note of where your right hand and your left hand are. This is your natural playing posture.

Using a strap, adjust your guitar so that it hangs where your right hand is over the sound hole and your left hand is on the fretboard.

This is similar to the classical position however, unlike the classical position, NO PART OF YOUR BODY IS SUPPORTING THE GUITAR. The guitar is completely supported by the strap.

This position is often referred to as "classical position with a strap."

Unfortunately, a strap hurts my neck more than any slouching. I use a sticky pad to hold the lower bout on the outer top thigh and angle the neck up so the headstock is close to my ear level. I think this is pretty close to the position a “neck up” or similar device would produce. Eventually I may get one.

Trouble is this doesn’t work well for electrics and I do struggle with them. The “neck up for electrics” won’t work with the ones I currently have (body too rounded for the suction cup). The “Performax” is expensive, but looks cool. I really don’t play electric much, so not worth it.

I have a basic guitar stool with foot rests and it is up against a wall for my back. I am a bit short with pretty short legs so I do wish it lowered another 2”. Most chairs are a bit too high, even adjustable ones, so foot rest helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion