The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM

For what it's worth I am in a similar situation. I've been very very interested in 3 guitars. 1) GS Mini Hog 2) Martin 000X1AE 3) Guild M120. I plan on purchasing one of the 3 next week.

I've spent a fair amount of time (and will do so again this weekend) with the Taylor and the Martin. I've gone back and forth and have been leaning towards the Martin because the guitars voice is more appealing to me. Both play and sound great though. I wish I could get my hands on an M120 though because I really like the idea of the whole guitar being solid mahogany and it comes with a hard case (which the Martin does not). Unfortunately no one has an M120 to play locally so I will most likely rule it out.

I would at least go check it out. Not only could you save some coin, you might find that you like it better than the GS Mini.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider24 View Post
For what it's worth I am in a similar situation. I've been very very interested in 3 guitars. 1) GS Mini Hog 2) Martin 000X1AE 3) Guild M120. I plan on purchasing one of the 3 next week.

wow, we are in the same boat!
2 of the 3 guitars you are considering are the same as what I am considering
Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM

The Minis felt more like a toy to me
Old 01-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I have my Yamaha FG-401 for sale on craigslist now.
I am little torn, as it is a very good 'beater' guitar.

As for the Martin 000X1, it has been up on craigslist
for about 2 weeks now, and it seems only I am
interested in it, so it is not getting much attention.
The guy will not take anything below $200 for it.
So, just wondering if I could flip it for $300, seeing that
nobody is grabbing it for $200..
Um . . . maybe 300 would be a fair price, but if you are the only interested party when he lists the thing at 200 bucks what makes you think it's going to be easy to flip for 300? Selling here . . . well, somebody needs to pay the shipping, or split it, and proper packing is up to you. Same for ebay. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but even if your time (and gas, packing materials, etc.) acquiring the guitar and selling it counts for nothing, this still seems like a tough way to make a buck.

If you love the guitar, that's cool, but it's hard to see this as obviously profitable or any step closer to what you think you really want.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
wow, we are in the same boat!
2 of the 3 guitars you are considering are the same as what I am considering
And it's a tough decision too. My ear and my hands have me leaning towards the Martin but at the same time My brain tells me that the GS Mini is more than likely the better candidate.

I agree with djg though. I wouldn't consider buying it to flip it. That's risky!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:46 PM

I just got an e-mail from the guy saying he sold the Martin last night.

Looks like the GS Mini is back on the table!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider24 View Post
And it's a tough decision too. My ear and my hands have me leaning towards the Martin but at the same time My brain tells me that the GS Mini is more than likely the better candidate.

I agree with djg though. I wouldn't consider buying it to flip it. That's risky!
I don't consider it risky to buy (and own) a Martin 000X1 for $200 and possibly flip it for $300- or even $250. I've worked my way up the guitar food chain just by flipping guitars. I now have a HD35 and a Guild Aragon F30 (and still have other inexpensive guitars around the house). I buy low and sell high. I enjoy selling. I'm just saying- If I wanted the GS mini the way you do then I would find a way. The point is moot now- somebody else saw the price on the Martin and grabbed it.

Last edited by George Bailey; 01-16-2015 at 07:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion