The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
...I don't have the time to email them and I shouldn't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jeff B
That's a very strong reaction to anyone's freedom of choice in how they run their business.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
You sound like a fellow cyclist...
Guilty as charged!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Check out Lakewood guitars from Germany. I owned a Lakewood dread in the 90s and have recently come by a gorgeous small bodied model in spruce/hog. Paramount Guitars sells them between $1500-3000. Really terrific value for a small shop, quality instrument.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM

It doesn't meet all your parameters, but the response that mentioned Avian guitars reminded me of my own White Eos. Andrew White has farmed out his multi-$K boutique designs to a Korean factory that produces to his specifications and designs. They don't quite dip into your budget range, but if you can catch him when he's clearing out stock (like right now), you can come close. He was willing to negotiate on mine. Easiest way I know to contact him is through his Facebook page.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I was a business(es) owner most of my adult life. There is no BUSINESS that has zero overhead costs. That would be called "a hobby."

Kinda reminds me of a seminar situation. I was discussing operational costs in photographer studios. One guy said, "With all that 'overhead' you are talking about, I am losing money on every wedding I shoot."

"Exactly," I told him. "So, what are you going to do?" (thinking: he needs to raise his price)

He said, "I need to shoot more weddings!"

Like the old commercial where the guy says, "We lose money on every sale, but we make it up in the volume."

Your premise is unsustainable. Where does the builder find free wood? Free tuning gear? Free strings? Free glue? Free tools and jigs? Free electricity to light, heat and cool the shop?

Expecting someone to give away an item (product) that they have painstakingly created shows no respect for their time and talent.

Jim
My guess is that your reasoning was implicit in his post. That is, even working out of one's own home (with no modifications), you'd have to make a string of untenable assumptions to get the price where the OP wanted it.

There do seem to be options around 1 grand, instead of 500 bucks. On this board, we have regular participation from Halcyon guitars, and although I've never played one myself they look intriguing, seem to be very well regarded by their owners here, and are built by an experienced luthier (who also has a higher-priced line). Price went up recently, but I don't think it's far off from 1K US. And I've seen things at about 1 thousand from other builders here and there. I think I saw that Gruhn has some Tennessee built guitars at about 1000 bucks poking around their web site the other day.

With Halcyon, I think the idea is that you are getting a more established builder who aims to offer a straightforward build, no-frills, relatively inexpensive finish, set of options under another brand name from his other guitars (another label, but no secret about the origin). With some newer builders, well, they probably are not paying themselves much for their time. In the short term, that doesn't necessarily make it a hobby. It's common in lots of new small businesses . . . you have a plan to make money but, initially, you are just trying to get the business off the ground, establish a customer/client base, a reputation, etc.

I'm not saying that the OP is going to find that 500 dollar luthier built guitar -- I'm not aware of such a thing and would not expect to find it in today's economy, at least not in North America (or Europe). But maybe a grand would do it if he or she is willing to do the legwork.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM

I got a great boutique dread guitar for about $1200, but it took a bit of research. Also the owner cut me a deal as they usually sale for around $1500. I doubt you can go much lower unless the guitar is used or some other kind of chicanery is involved.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Inexpensive, handmade/boutique guitars

An occasional contributor here and regular on Martin forum and I have visited this store who sells some small builders and sometimes good values.

http://www.paramountguitars.net

What I found with many of the small builders is they all make pretty stuff but they did not always nail the tone I love, or each one have a super responsive nature the best guitar makers seem to replicate.

I don't mean this to be unfair to others. In my case I realized I love a tone and vibe Martin and Gibson perfected in the 1930s. Some newer stuff is just different.

Edit: My statement was not intended to say newer small builders don't make responsive guitars. Some are amazing.

Last edited by imwjl; 01-16-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
I don't have the time to email them and I shouldn't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jeff B
With technology these days, its a shame that no one has figured out a way to speed up the time to write an email compared to how little time it takes to post to a forum.

I'm just being silly.

Anyway, any reason it has to be a small builder/handbuilt? I'm just curious as that is the part that is difficult. There are plenty of $500 workhorse guitars around but they are all factory made, probably overseas.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yes - several Pac-rim guitars would fit into this category.

Recording King and Blueridge are closest in price for all solid wood guitars and good quality.

I think these brands offer good quality, value and have excellent sound as well. My favorite of the lot is Eastman. These choices are a good place to start IMO.
Would these not be the OPPOSITE of what the OP is looking for as they are produced in huge factories/sweatshops under slave labour conditions?

Though I think there is a "Dave Kell" who has tried to sell handmade "Conant" guitars for around 700 on this and other forums. No idea if they are any good and durable though, and if there would be any service if problems arise.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Would these not be the OPPOSITE of what the OP is looking for as they are produced in huge factories/sweatshops under slave labour conditions?

Though I think there is a "Dave Kell" who has tried to sell handmade "Conant" guitars for around 700 on this and other forums. No idea if they are any good and durable though, and if there would be any service if problems arise.
No, it isn't. Please read ALL the posts before you critique others responses. Notably - post 13. The OP has come to terms with there not being anything such as a $500 luthier built guitar.

Also, please keep your vitriolic political rantings to yourself. This is about guitars, not politics.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM

I just ordered a Pono D-30-$1149.00, they have some cheaper models.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Guilty as charged,
In January 2014 I decided to give building a acoustic guitar a try. With each build I was learning something more about the process. I had no one to teach me and was relying a lot on the internet.
I built a couple for myself and one each for my daughters. I felt I was still learning so I found a couple of friends who were interested in guitars and made them a deal. They would pay for all the materials and I would build them a guitar.
The first one was a OM with Macassar Ebony back and sides with a Sitka top.

It sounded incredible and cost him $750 for supplies.

The second was a slightly larger body all Mahogany with cocobolo binding. It turned out beautiful and also sounds incredible. Cost that guy $450

I justified donating my time building for these guys as lessons learned to get better at building. They knew that I was new to building and were able to see and play some of my earlier builds to be comfortable in doing it.

Would I do it now?? No, I have spent in the neighborhood of $3000 on tools and supplies to make all the forms and jigs necessary. I don't keep track of time but would guess I have 60 to 75 hours in a build including time to French Polish them.
Now that I have built some, I am amazed that any company or builder can sell a all solid wood guitar for under $1000
Travis
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
...Do they exist?

Are there any small-time outfits that sell hand-built, decent quality acoustics for under $500 or so?
The premise seems way off.

Why the desire for this when there are enough "non-hand built" models out there that would be more than competitive? Plus you have the opportunity to test drive them, as opposed to taking the risk of ordering the construction of a cheap (non-existent?) "handmade" guitar?

Are there specs that you desire that can't be had in "off-the-rack" guitars?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:09 PM

As close as you'll get to that is Eastman.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Guilty as charged,
In January 2014 I decided to give building a acoustic guitar a try. With each build I was learning something more about the process. I had no one to teach me and was relying a lot on the internet.
I built a couple for myself and one each for my daughters. I felt I was still learning so I found a couple of friends who were interested in guitars and made them a deal. They would pay for all the materials and I would build them a guitar.
The first one was a OM with Macassar Ebony back and sides with a Sitka top.

It sounded incredible and cost him $750 for supplies.

The second was a slightly larger body all Mahogany with cocobolo binding. It turned out beautiful and also sounds incredible. Cost that guy $450

I justified donating my time building for these guys as lessons learned to get better at building. They knew that I was new to building and were able to see and play some of my earlier builds to be comfortable in doing it.

Would I do it now?? No, I have spent in the neighborhood of $3000 on tools and supplies to make all the forms and jigs necessary. I don't keep track of time but would guess I have 60 to 75 hours in a build including time to French Polish them.
Now that I have built some, I am amazed that any company or builder can sell a all solid wood guitar for under $1000
Travis
that was a great story, Travis, thanks for sharing it!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion