The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 12:28 AM

You can get a nice one for free if you win Wayne Henderson's guitar competition.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Green Craig…

Avian Guitars would likely be the closest to what you are asking.

Designed by Harry Fleishman and Michael Bashkin. Dream Guitars is handling them in the USA.

Avian guitars are being built an assortment of electrics, acoustics (even fanned fret) in the under $1500 bracket. I'm anxious to get my hands on one. Arm bevels, and a demi cutaway.

Michael Bashkin actually trained the builders who do the building.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
Your request reminds me of the old saying, "You want it strong, lightweight, and inexpensive -- pick two."
The correct wording is:
high quality, quickly, and inexpensive - at once you can have only two in this Universe...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:52 AM

The gentleman that built my guitar is a full time woodworker/frame maker and part time guitar builder. That fits the OP's description but even his instruments will be much more than $500. Aside from the Avian suggested previously, you could look into a luthier led class where you build your own guitar. They will still be pricier than $500 but you pull the price down to the $1,500 to $2,500 range.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

It would be interesting to hear from any guitar builders to get an idea of how many hours they have invested in a typical build.

With that number in mind, would anyone here (especially the OP) be willing to work that many hours for $500 minus the cost of materials... and tools... and the workspace?

Asking for a hand-built guitar for cheap is like having people ask if you want to play at their party for free... you know, because you really like to play, right?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Default inexpensive boutique

Once in a while on eBay a handmade guitar will show up for a very low price. They are hard to search for as there are so many names by which they can be called and are usually made by someone who wanted to make his own guitar and then, I suspect, decided he didn't want to keep it as it didn't measure up or maybe it got replaced with something better. Perhaps he felt it would implode in the near future. So unless you can find something like that which was good but real beat up (another reason for low prices), I'd advise sticking with a low cost "brand".

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
Your request reminds me of the old saying, "You want it strong, lightweight, and inexpensive -- pick two."
You sound like a fellow cyclist...
Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It would be interesting to hear from any guitar builders to get an idea of how many hours they have invested in a typical build.

With that number in mind, would anyone here (especially the OP) be willing to work that many hours for $500 minus the cost of materials... and tools... and the workspace?

Asking for a hand-built guitar for cheap is like having people ask if you want to play at their party for free... you know, because you really like to play, right?
+1 ^

just to play out the concept above, I considered a sell price of $500 and tried to back into the time and materials.

If labor were $10 an hour; and
the materials were all free; and
the guitar could be constructed in fifty hours; and
the builder is competent; and
the business has zero overhead costs; and
the builder desires no profit;

then there might be a $500 guitar that meets the OP's original request.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-16-2015, 07:59 AM

If you find one in that range that isn't made from popsicle sticks let me know because I might have to buy one before they close shop lol. I can only think of a few solid wood guitars in your bracket but they're all Asian. Xaviere, Recording king, and a guild gad m120 meet the price and wood components. Can't speak for the xaviere but the rk and guild are some nice guitars. Closest I can think of is our own halcyon guitars made by a forum sponsor but those start around 1200 I believe.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
+1 ^

just to play out the concept above, I considered a sell price of $500 and tried to back into the time and materials.

I was a business(es) owner most of my adult life. There is no BUSINESS that has zero overhead costs. That would be called "a hobby."

Kinda reminds me of a seminar situation. I was discussing operational costs in photographer studios. One guy said, "With all that 'overhead' you are talking about, I am losing money on every wedding I shoot."

"Exactly," I told him. "So, what are you going to do?" (thinking: he needs to raise his price)

He said, "I need to shoot more weddings!"

Like the old commercial where the guy says, "We lose money on every sale, but we make it up in the volume."

Your premise is unsustainable. Where does the builder find free wood? Free tuning gear? Free strings? Free glue? Free tools and jigs? Free electricity to light, heat and cool the shop?

Expecting someone to give away an item (product) that they have painstakingly created shows no respect for their time and talent.

Jim
Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
Hmm, seems it's not feasible to find a guitar that fits the parameters in the first post.

Try this on for size: I bought my first Telecaster from a small shop outside of Nashville. They'd order bodies and necks from Asia, pickups and hardware from a different source, and assemble and setup in the States...the idea being that they'd create a no-frills, low-cost, decent sounding guitar for gigging artists; something that sounds decent at gig volume, and that the owner isn't afraid of getting knocked around, spilled on, or otherwise harmed.

So, let's take the "handmade" requirement out of the equation...Are there any 'workhorse' guitars made by smaller brands for less than $500?
Yes - several Pac-rim guitars would fit into this category.

Recording King and Blueridge are closest in price for all solid wood guitars and good quality.

Good quality, all solid woods in the next price range (say $700-1k) would be: Eastman, Yamaha, Guild GAD's, Alvarez Masterworks & Seagull SWS. These can be had used at $500 but not new.

I think these brands offer good quality, value and have excellent sound as well. My favorite of the lot is Eastman. These choices are a good place to start IMO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
+1 ^

Pretty much. I've seen tops and back/sides that were more than $500 a piece.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
Hmm, seems it's not feasible to find a guitar that fits the parameters in the first post.

Try this on for size: I bought my first Telecaster from a small shop outside of Nashville. They'd order bodies and necks from Asia, pickups and hardware from a different source, and assemble and setup in the States...the idea being that they'd create a no-frills, low-cost, decent sounding guitar for gigging artists; something that sounds decent at gig volume, and that the owner isn't afraid of getting knocked around, spilled on, or otherwise harmed.

So, let's take the "handmade" requirement out of the equation...Are there any 'workhorse' guitars made by smaller brands for less than $500?
Again, with all due respect, there is absolutely NO analogy to putting together a parts electric guitar and building a quality acoustic guitar.

Probably the only similarity is making sure the frets are in the right place and that the saddle is in the right place.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 AM

To the OP:

There's no way you can buy a new decent-sounding hand built guitar new for $500.

The only instance you will find something like this is someone doesn't know what he/she has and does not know how to use Google. Then you would be ripping the person off.

The cheapest hand built guitar I've seen is going for $1k, and it's a shotty build. Granted, I couldn't do any better as a woodworker, so I'm not judging the poor guy, but he won't be getting any of my money.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Deadwood Guitars

Somebody tells these folks to either list the prices of their guitars or make it easy to see on the website what vendors/stores carry their guitars. They make you work to find out the cost or where to go to get them..I don't have the time to email them and I shouldn't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jeff B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion