The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Guitar case cover.

Has anyone a recommendation for a cover to protect a Hoffee case. The Colorado Case Company's product seem over-kill to me. I merely need something to make scratching my already insolated case more difficult, something along the lines of a potato sack with a handle and, maybe, a pocket for sheet music. Thanks. Brian
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure I understand completely, what you are looking for. I read, you want a cover to protect your guitars hardcase ? Maybe one of those large heavy clothe drawstring laundry bags ?

Dan
Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Bear in mind that you'll want a cover cover to prevent scuffs on the cover... Save the potato sack for that last one.

Just ribbing you... Something to consider: Do you want your case cover to have shoulder straps?

I have an Access cover which fits my standard Vintage Martin style cases and (snuggly) fits my Calton dreadnaught case. It makes walking through an airport a lot easier! That's why I got mine, not to protect the case.

I'm not sure you can find them anymore, but they would be worth searching for.

Dave

Janet Taylor has Small Dog Case covers for various size hard cases.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Bear in mind that you'll want a cover cover to prevent scuffs on the cover... Save the potato sack for that last one.

Just ribbing you... Something to consider: Do you want your case cover to have shoulder straps?

I have an Access cover which fits my standard Vintage Martin style cases and (snuggly) fits my Calton dreadnaught case. It makes walking through an airport a lot easier! That's why I got mine, not to protect the case.

Dave

Not sure about the OP but I think I want one of these. I have a pretty new Hiscox case, which has attachments for a single strap (which I've added) but no easy way to rig decent backpack straps. The case itself seems pretty robust and I don't mind if it gets scuffed here and there, but it would be very nice to have something with twin straps mounted in a way that would let me wear the guitar like a backpack.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Lake Sagagatan, something you might consider is trying to find an upholstery shop in your area. I've had good luck with having professional upholsterers make this sort of case cover for me. They have the necessary industrial sewing machines and the expertise to do the work.

What I've typically done is consult with them as to how much fabric is needed, then bought some Cordura nylon in the color I want and given it to them for the job.

Some upholstery shops want to use only the fabrics they have on hand and won't work with fabric supplied by the client, but most of them are fine with it. This will generally save you some money, not a lot. But the main reason to get your own Cordura nylon is to make certain you get the color you want.

Having said all that, I have worked with Colorado Case Company (CCC), too, and I'm not sure how much money you'll save if you get the work done locally. CCC does excellent work, and you can probably get a simpler case cover than what's on their website. For example, with a Hoffee case, presumably you're not going to need to have the case cover insulated. I don't own any Hoffee cases, but do own several Caltons, and they have all the thermal protection the guitar needs already built in. So if I was to get a case cover for any of my Caltons, I wouldn't want or need the cover to be insulated.

Because the insulation does add weight. I have insulated covers for my dulcimers and mandolins, and am glad for the extra thermal protection, but the two insulated case covers I have for my baritone guitar and one other standard guitar virtually never get used, because they weigh so much.

Mandolins and dulcimers are small enough to keep an insulated case cover's extra weight minimal, but guitars are not. There's a LOT of acreage there on a guitar case, especially on a well-padded flight case.

So that's something for you to consider.

If I was in your position and wanted to get a case cover for the Hoffee, I'd keep it uninsulated and as light as possible. CCC does make custom case covers, so that's probably an option that's available to you.

Just a thought....

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM

P.S. Looking at the Small Dog section of Colorado Cases, the shoulder straps have to be ordered as an option.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 PM

We have a few of the Small Dog covers (before they were bought by Colorado Case), and they have been excellent.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post

Dave

I was interested in the Access case cover, but they do not make it any more according to the representative of Elderly.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Here is their website http://www.carryaccess.com/ unfortunately the case covers are all gone.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Not sure about the OP but I think I want one of these. I have a pretty new Hiscox case, which has attachments for a single strap (which I've added) but no easy way to rig decent backpack straps. The case itself seems pretty robust and I don't mind if it gets scuffed here and there, but it would be very nice to have something with twin straps mounted in a way that would let me wear the guitar like a backpack.

Thanks
alas, elderly says that they no longer have the case covers kydave mentioned -- maybe in the end I'll spring for colorado case company option, but in the meantime I think I'll go look for a large enough, poorly padded gig bag with straps at gc or some such
Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for the ideas, friends. For present purposes, believe it or not, the laundry bag sounds the best. But, if things change, I now have some interesting alternatives.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion