The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 04:25 AM

Default Ultex and Ultem: what's the difference?

This evening I looked through the list of guitar picks available from one of the major online music retailers, and saw that there are different picks made from both Ultex and Ultem. I remember some discussion of these pick materials here, but I haven't tried either of these for myself yet.

So what's the difference between them? Are there any fans of one but not the other, or players who used to play Ultex but switched to Ultem, or vice versa?

What can you tell me about them? What are their tonal characteristics?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM

I've tried the Ultex and the material had a damping effect on the sound of my guitar.

But in fairness, I don't prefer a Blue Chip (I own three) for my acoustic as I feel it imparts the same soft response. It's purely a personal thing.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM

Like Ultex for my 6 string banjo but do not like it on my guitars.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 AM

I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet that Ultem and Ultex are varying trade names for the same plastic.

Delrin, Delrex - depending on the brand, seems to be the same stuff, too.

Last edited by kydave; 12-31-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM

Different Manufacturers of the same material. I have a 1.14 Dunlop (Ultex) and a 1.20 Clayton (Ultem). They are pretty hard. I use them on my electric. I have a real light Ultem that I like on my acoustic. (.38)

Play What Ya Got!

Last edited by DM728; 12-31-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM

Delrin

Delrex

Ultem

Ultex
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 AM

There is a huge difference in tone between the Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultem based on my personal A:B testing.

For much of the acoustic playing I do with a pick, I really like the Dunlop Ultex in .73 and 1.0. So, I figured I'd pick up packs of the .72 and .80 Claytons for comparison.

I found the Claytons to be extremely sharp and edgy sounding next to the Dunlops, which sucked for me because the main reason I like the Dunlops is for the softness and clarity they provide. They definitely take the edge off versus most other picks while the Claytons seemed to make it worse. I also tried to break them in a bit but it didn't seem to go away.

I left both packages of the Claytons at a family member's apartment thinking he might like them but next time I saw him he proceeded to tell me he cringed when he started strumming with one, so I think he just tossed them.

This is, of course, all just personal preference. But I can say for a fact that there is a huge difference in tone. Which one you prefer, or if you like/dislike both, is entirely subjective.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM

Another thing that I noticed in difference between Ultex and Ultem is the finish. The Dunlop Ultex is smooth almost polished. The Clayton Ultem is rougher, like a matte finish. I think you can see that in the photos above from KYDave. Whether that affects the sound?? I dunno.

Play What Ya Got!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet that Ultem and Ultex are varying trade names for the same plastic...
This is what I've been told. My favorite pick material btw.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 AM

Never heard of Ultex, but ULTEM is used in my industry, due to it's aerospace certification and properties. It's known for it's strength, temp coefficient, and heat deflection among other things. ULTEM parts are very, very rigid and very, very strong. I have an ULTEM thumpick somewhere, but I never use it do to it being too rigid and slightly too noisy for my tastes. But it probably will never break. I love the good ol' National thumbpicks (delrin I think?) which gives/bends (which I like), but they do break more often.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
This is what I've been told. My favorite pick material btw.
And I think Acetal is same as Delrin/Delrex.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Okay, thanks for all the answers so far.

Last night I decided to try some Ultem picks and ordered some Taylor Ultems. How have you all who've tried these Taylor Ultem picks liked them, and how do they compare with these other companies' versions?

Obviously, I'll find out for myself soon enough, but I'm curious to hear what you other folks who have experience with them have to say.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
There is a huge difference in tone between the Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultem based on my personal A:B testing.

I found the Claytons to be extremely sharp and edgy sounding next to the Dunlops. . . . [T]he Dunlops . . . definitely take the edge off versus most other picks while the Claytons seemed to make it worse.
Although I wouldn't say there's a "huge" difference between the two, this is otherwise exactly my experience. Dunlop Ultex picks sound "rounder," less thin. If you have a guitar that needs more sparkle, go for the Clayton Ultems, but they can make a bright guitar sound too brittle.

These are my two favorite picks. I favor Clayton Ultems on my Martin and Dunlop Ultex on my other guitars.

Larry
Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
And I think Acetal is same as Delrin/Delrex.
Acetal is a family of plastics, and Delrin/Delrex is in it. There are also other acetal plastics that go by different trade names.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Ultem is also an acetal plastic. Ultem is the trade name that the plastics manufacturer uses. Ultex is Dunlop's proprietary name for their picks made of Ultem. Confusing, huh?

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 PM

Default Interesting question, Wade

I just did a test and my impressions were the same as Play's, above. I used an Ultex .73 and an Ultem .72 on a guitar whose voice you can probably recall, a Mossman. I played first position C scales and chords at the bridge edge of the sound hole. I thought the Ultem sounded thinner and more "thispy," more sul ponticello. The notes' attacks were quicker to my ear. Now here is where I destroy all credibility: Ultex reminds me more of a Doc Watson sound, Ultem more like Peter Lang.

FWIW, I also tried a 1.1 Gravity Pick. It had, by far, the most unctuous timbre. I think it brings the cleanest notes of the three without sounding denatured.

As a pundit I admire often says, I hope that helps.

Last edited by Lake Sagatagan; 01-01-2015 at 06:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion