The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2014, 05:12 PM

Default Ptacek capo's any experience with them?

Ptacek Capo’s

Price $145.00

Available via Greg Boyd www.gregboyd.com

Anyone up on them? I have the 1 ¾ on its way to try.

As much as I love the Phil Elliott capo’s they are tiny in my big hands, and therefore hard to comfortably use. I did talk with Phil regarding having a custom capo made, that arrives at $ vs Use! Would I or do I use a capo enough to warrant a custom made one from Phil Elliott, and I think I do not use them that much so....

I liked the old Hamilton Fast Action capos as far as fitting into my hand at least fairly well; however I also found I had to keep adjusting my tuning with them.

I am hoping the Ptacek capo works for me. Anyone have any experience with the Ptacek capo?

*Available from Greg Boyd’s ( *..... when available, Which is whenever they show up, call, email etc.... to check availability)

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail..._image_key=152

Last edited by BKENNA; 11-27-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Reason for Editing: To edit!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Too pricey for me and since my capo changes have to happen in seconds, this just wouldn't be fast enough. I used Shubb for years until I started playing in our Praise Band at church. I have to change songs on the iPad and get the capo changed (when needed) during the transition between songs and that is usually but a measure or two while the piano plays.

I use one of these because they're good and fast - Planet Waves NS Artist - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Guest 1928

Isn't that pretty much the same as the Dan Crary capo?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM

For the life of me I can't figure out how anything beyond a standard Shubb capo can be improved upon. For perfect functionality and simplicity you just can't beat a Shubb. And it costs only about $25-30.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
For the life of me I can't figure out how anything beyond a standard Shubb capo can be improved upon. For perfect functionality and simplicity you just can't beat a Shubb. And it costs only about $25-30.
Many prefer the screw type capo as it allows you to more precisely set the tension.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 PM

The Shubb capo is a screw type, fully adjustable to the correct tension.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The Shubb capo is a screw type, fully adjustable to the correct tension.
On mine, the screw just sets the limits of the cam. You need to have the tension off to adjust.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 PM

Nice looking capo.
I like to use Shubb or Victor capo.
For quick changes nothing beats Kyser, it does comes at cost of staying in tune.
I have been looking at Paige click capo, so far I have not purchased it yet.
At home I have two that I mentioned, Kyser and NS capo.
For classical another Shubb.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Default For the Life of you :-)

Quote:

I appreciate your reply,

Have you yet had the opportunity to use an Elliott Capo on a $15,000.00 guitar? I still have an Elliott capo and I put it on my Maingard guitar and it snugs down evenly all the way across the fingerboard, I also have several of the $10-$35 ones and they are not as sensitive to touch, they do not move evenly when being tightened, etc... they also are close to 1/10 the price to 1/3 the price so we also could rightfully point to the higher end ones and say we expect much more of them, I do, and they do deliver.

It has been my personal experience that the (so-called) higher end instruments are very sensitive to the fine tuning available with capo's such as Elliott, Ptacek, etc.... these are made one by one by one Machinist with extremely high grade material.

I fully and easily understand what you are saying and additionally I see that you are asking not being antagonistic. I hope you do have the opportunity to have a few high end instruments around and several different capo's, my suspicion is that you will put the Elliott on and then you will really notice how sensitive it is to the turning of the threaded post to tighten it and how it equally tightens all the way across the fingerboard and that there are no strings being unevenly compressed.

I realize often to look at the different capos folks would shrug their shoulders, after trying one and seeing how precision they are and actually using it and feeling the difference between using an assembly line factory item that has more tolerance for width than a 6 lane freeway and the Other high end capo's which are single pieces of finely machined high quality pieces of equipment Machined one at a time by one person, People come to appreciate what all has gone into the upper end ones and additionally it also becomes evident what all is not in the other less expensive ones.
It is hard to develop that comprehension if you haven't had the opportunity to compare them and I have no doubt that there are people whom do get the opportunity and still maintain there is no difference, that being said, there are more people that try them and notice a very big difference than those whom do not notice a difference.

I appreciate Elliott Capo's they're great; however it is a physical size thing for me not a mechanical issues.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKENNA View Post

Have you yet had the opportunity to use an Elliott Capo on a $15,000.00 guitar?
My car isn't worth $15,000, so no. I've never laid hands on a guitar that expensive. But if I did, I'm sure that I would have no problem using a $30 capo on it.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Guest 1928

I poked around a bit and it seems this is from the same maker, and is essentially the Dan Crary capo without his name on it. The DC capo is $80 new on Dan's site. I bought mine used for about $45 as I recall.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
My car isn't worth $15,000, so no. I've never laid hands on a guitar that expensive. But if I did, I'm sure that I would have no problem using a $30 capo on it.

The rest of us unfortunately lack fortune telling abilities so me for example I had to actually do try the expensive capo as some call it,
before I could say I know what it is like.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Isn't that pretty much the same as the Dan Crary capo?

Sure looks like it from pictures alone doesn't it. I would really like to know what specific materials were used in each of them.
B.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM

I can't help you with capo, but Ptacek built my banjo. I understand he is quite big in tone ring manufacture.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Capo specifics

According to the Dan Crary website they are made from brass. Still $79.95. What isn't listed is how wide it is. Seems would be great for a rounded or 'C" shape neck, not too sure how it would work on a "V" neck. That might explain why the pad moved, the actual contact on a "V" neck would be minimal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion