The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one do you like the most?
G7th Performance Original 15 33.33%
G7th Performance 2 30 66.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 PM

I prefer the new version. I still use the original on my other guitars, but I gig with the new one. It's slimmer and lighter, but still does a great job.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 01-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Interesting... I find the newer Performance 2 model better fits the fingerboard radius on all my guitars. From Taylor to Breedlove to my homemade OM with a fat V neck - the new one just works better. No loose grip creating buzz and no grip o' death pulling me out of tune.

Big thumbs up for the Performance 2 for me.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:29 PM

I have never tried the original but I just recently got the g7thII. So far I love it.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like the jury split about 50-50 on this one. I've owned the Original for years and swear by it. I literally won't use anything else.

I like big, beefy, chunky things in general -- things with HEFT -- so I much prefer the Original model. In fact last month I ordered the Performance 2 from Sweetwater then immediately shipped it back to them. Ugh. I couldn't get used to the release moving in the other direction. I just feel they cheapened the new product to save money and increase profitability. Give me the old one any day.

BTW, they still show the Original G7 model on their website. Does anyone happen to know if it is going to stay in the line, or is it going the way of the Dodo bird?

I love the Original so much, I even forked over for the Gold and Platinum Black versions as well (you can find them on Ebay and Amazon for about $50). They come in their very own metal tin. I swear, the black one looks like Darth Vadar.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 AM

As has been observed above, both work really well on my Martins, but I use the 2nd iteration as it's smaller and lighter.

Incidentally, I had no luck with the Mk 1 12 string capo. However, the Mk 2 6 string actually works on my D12-28 - go figure!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Okay, I have the G7th Nashville, which is the clamp on type. Are any of these 2, more expensive G7ths referred to here, any quicker than taking off and on the Nashville? If not, then what's the appeal of them?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM

What is the difference in their prices?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Update on my Performance 2
Just wanted to update group here on my G7 Performance 2 early production model, which I noted some concerns above in thread compared to my G7 1s . I have since been contacted by G7th guy and they are replacing ... so as I said earlier, these guys do listen, which is what you want: Great product + Great Customer Service = Win win

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
Okay, I have the G7th Nashville, which is the clamp on type. Are any of these 2, more expensive G7ths referred to here, any quicker than taking off and on the Nashville? If not, then what's the appeal of them?
The Performance 2 is almost as fast to change, but more importantly it clamps better and has adjustable tension, plus it's very compact. Or maybe I clamps better because of the adjustable tension. They also are aesthetically better if that matters.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion