The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one do you like the most?
G7th Performance Original 15 33.33%
G7th Performance 2 30 66.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Default G7th Performance Original Vs. G7th Performance 2

For those who have experience with both capos, which one do you like the most? Can you share your thoughts!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
For those who have experience with both capos, which one do you like the most? Can you share your thoughts!
I have both and always reach for the newer one. It's a bit less bulky than the first version and instead of having to pull the tab toward you to release it, the newer version allows you to squeeze the top of the capo to release. Really convenient and definitely worth it.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

I like them both and they have dif unique advantages, while sharing the same general approach - easy to use one-handed, well built compact and classy looking modern capo. The new one addresses the major complaints of the first --too heavy and thick, with a thinner, lighter capo in the same form and basic mechanism, though they reversed the release lever, which takes some getting used to, especially if you have both ,like me with 2 of each, that release with opposite motion. The old one seems to secure the strings better though despite addressing the other complaints -- however, I have the first lot made and I'm wondering if I need to ping the G7th employee/designer hanging out in the Martin forum to exchange mine -- because if the springs held as well as the original, the new ones would win hands down and be my fav capo on the market, hands down.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11-26-2014, 04:35 AM

Although my new G7th works as well as the original model I had had for years and which eventually disassembled itself, I do prefer the heft and trigger action of the first incarnation. The weight wasn't an issue. In any case the G7th remains a great piece of design.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM
AGF Administrator

Definitely the new one for me. Much lighter, takes up less space, and is easier to use one-handed.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Width advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I do prefer the heft and trigger action of the first incarnation.
Seems to me, that a spring clutch mechanism having a larger internal surface to latch, could result in more consistent performance.

They were just coming out with the new model when I purchased, so did not wait, but am satisfied with the original finding no drawbacks from size or release position. I use it reversed on the neck, so the release seems to work the way one would wish.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I have both. I use the newer one because it is lighter and smaller.

I greatly prefer the mechanism of the older one. I know, on paper, the new one is supposed to be easier and feel more natural, but it just feels awkward to me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I like them both, the Performance 2 doesn't clamp as well as the original and I'll have to fiddle with it to get it right, still it's a great capo.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I prefer the Performance 2! Lighter, less bulky and, in my experience, performs just as well as the original. I have not had any difficulties with the clamp mechanism.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM

I've had the Original for years and always loved it beside its bulk. Just bought the v2.0 today, hoping it's a significant difference.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM

I bought the first one for my 12 string but it became a favorite because of the cool look. I purchased the 2nd Gen about 4 months ago. I have two 0 size guitars and 2nd Gen balances the 12 fret and the 14 fret. It maintains the lightness of the neck on both guitars. The 1st Gen is still the best for my 12.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 PM

G7th 2 is supposed to provide anything that the G7th Original has and even more. However, form the feedback so far, there are quite a lot of users still prefer to use the original one.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I like them both, the Performance 2 doesn't clamp as well as the original and I'll have to fiddle with it to get it right, still it's a great capo.
That's my take as well. Love the slim profile of the 2, but I can't just slap it on and expect immediate buzz-free playing without a little fiddling.

I notice that cost has been creeping up among retailers lately, so while it's still not as expensive as the original, it's not as great a deal.

Mostly, I love the way the original feels. Some call it heavy; I call it solid. And I like the action. The original is WAY smoother than v2.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 PM

I have both and prefer the first. The performance 2, while lighter, doesn't seem to work as well on V-neck guitars such as my CEO-7.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 PM

When using the original with one hand it's possible for it to shoot out of your hand and put a ding on your new guitar. I should know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion