The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all your answers it's always interesting to get other's opinion, of course I'll see a doctor, I wonder if my OM's V shaped neck may not be the cause of my fingerpain, glad to hear that many of you have overcomed your finger/wrist pain, sorry to disagree with those who think that there's no need to ask other's people experience about fingerpain

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfir View Post
As mentioned in the title of this topic I am wondering if any of you has recovered totally from chronical tendonitis, while still practicing the instrument without any major restriction?
I am a veritable orthopedic encyclopedia of issues including but not limited to various upper and lower extremity tendonitis. Cessation of whatever aggravates the issue is #1. For me that wasn't playing guitar, but changing wrist position angle etc. steroid injections were second. Whisky doesn't hurt either.

All kidding aside my non surgical intervention for tennis/guitar elbow was a brace and alteration of technique.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers it's always interesting to get other's opinion, of course I'll see a doctor, I wonder if my OM's V shaped neck may not be the cause of my fingerpain, glad to hear that many of you have overcomed your finger/wrist pain, sorry to disagree with those who think that there's no need to ask other's people experience about fingerpain
sixfir, you failed to respond to important questions about what symptoms in what body parts you are experiencing. The short answer is YES people have recovered but it all depends on where the tendinitis is and what causes it. Since I don't know anything about your paeticular case I would add a a few general comments:

The dynamics of how one plays - positions of guitar and body and arms and hands - have everything to do with tendinitis related to guitar playing. I would always recommend that every player have lessons with an experienced player who can diagnose physical stresses in playing position. These are very common even on prof players and minor modifications of playiong position can make enormous differences.

I have back pain when I get sloppy and lean over the guitar. If I play a smaller classical in classical position, my back also hurst if I put my L foot on footstool but if I use a guitar brace with both legs on the floor, I have no pain for hours of playing. Each of us has a different body structure and muscle assets and we each need to find our best and least stressful position to play. That is often best done in consultation with another experienced guitarist. YMMV

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 PM

Some years ago I had recurring pain in the tendons below the thumb and forefinger, and would even occassionally freeze my forefinger. Ice would help solve it, but it reoccurred.

Sometime later I started taking curcumin for inflamation in the shoulders. It took awhile, but I have noticed a big improvement, not only to the shoulder, but to my general well being, and NO left hand pain or freezing. Make sure the Curcumin is standardized. It's a cheap experiment, but YMMV.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Very interesting thread. I've been battling an RSI in both forearms and elbows for about two years. (I'm actually dictating this reply to avoid typing.) The diagnoses have been numerous… tendinitis, epicondylitis, thoracic outlet syndrome, radial nerve entrapment, chronic muscle inflammation. And I've been warned of tendinosis. The treatments have been equally numerous… total rest, physical and occupational therapy, massage, dry needling, PRP injections, chiropractic adjustments, H-Wave electric stimulation. I've been amazed at how serious the injury has been and how much it has impacted so many things I do (and now don't do).

I am back to playing the guitar, but not quite as much as I used to. Pretty much same goes for lots of activities, including sports. Sounds doom and gloom, but the bottom line is with some pretty hard work and discipline, I am making slow but steady progress. It remains to be seen if the recovery will be 100% at some point.

I agree with all previous posters about the importance of rest (and about consulting the pros first and foremost). One thing that made it really difficult for me is that the origin of my injury was mostly computer work, and that's something that I can't really stop doing if I want a paycheck. That said, I have made a lot of ergonomic and technological adjustments. (Like I said, I'm dictating most of this into the computer.) But if it's an RSI you're dealing with affecting your guitar playing, my only advice would be to take it seriously and remember that all repetitive habits adds up: computer, cell phone, guitar, etc. Modify your habits where you can, and make your free passes count. Just my two-cents worth of experience.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
sixfir, you failed to respond to important questions about what symptoms in what body parts you are experiencing. The short answer is YES people have recovered but it all depends on where the tendinitis is and what causes it. Since I don't know anything about your paeticular case I would add a a few general comments:

The dynamics of how one plays - positions of guitar and body and arms and hands - have everything to do with tendinitis related to guitar playing. I would always recommend that every player have lessons with an experienced player who can diagnose physical stresses in playing position. These are very common even on prof players and minor modifications of playiong position can make enormous differences.

I have back pain when I get sloppy and lean over the guitar. If I play a smaller classical in classical position, my back also hurst if I put my L foot on footstool but if I use a guitar brace with both legs on the floor, I have no pain for hours of playing. Each of us has a different body structure and muscle assets and we each need to find our best and least stressful position to play. That is often best done in consultation with another experienced guitarist. YMMV

hans
You're right sorry, I experience pain at the first knuckle at the annular, but also sometimes at the middle finger, since I've begun playing steel string guitar again, as I previously mainly used to play electric or classical guitar. But I strongly suspect the V shaped neck to be part of the problem, guess it must be some kind of tendinitis, but not sure yet. I'm 36 and have been playing over 20 years, I don't think there is something wrong with the way I place my fingers, I never experienced those kind of pain until one year ago, I'm also a guitar teacher and play about 4 or 5 hours per day

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 01-16-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlduke View Post
Very interesting thread. I've been battling an RSI in both forearms and elbows for about two years. (I'm actually dictating this reply to avoid typing.) The diagnoses have been numerous… tendinitis, epicondylitis, thoracic outlet syndrome, radial nerve entrapment, chronic muscle inflammation. And I've been warned of tendinosis. The treatments have been equally numerous… total rest, physical and occupational therapy, massage, dry needling, PRP injections, chiropractic adjustments, H-Wave electric stimulation. I've been amazed at how serious the injury has been and how much it has impacted so many things I do (and now don't do).

I am back to playing the guitar, but not quite as much as I used to. Pretty much same goes for lots of activities, including sports. Sounds doom and gloom, but the bottom line is with some pretty hard work and discipline, I am making slow but steady progress. It remains to be seen if the recovery will be 100% at some point.

I agree with all previous posters about the importance of rest (and about consulting the pros first and foremost). One thing that made it really difficult for me is that the origin of my injury was mostly computer work, and that's something that I can't really stop doing if I want a paycheck. That said, I have made a lot of ergonomic and technological adjustments. (Like I said, I'm dictating most of this into the computer.) But if it's an RSI you're dealing with affecting your guitar playing, my only advice would be to take it seriously and remember that all repetitive habits adds up: computer, cell phone, guitar, etc. Modify your habits where you can, and make your free passes count. Just my two-cents worth of experience.
Hope you will get a full recovering, ,health trouble sucks

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I've had chronic tendon issues in other areas of the body and they were all eventually resolved through change of form/movement. When tendons flare, there's usually something you're doing wrong. Change your posture, hand position, etc. Remember, just because your hand hurts doesn't mean the hand is the issue. Could be your elbow position, shoulder, even your chair. That's just the nature of tendon issues. Tendons take forever to heal so be patient. Cissus herb helped me tremendously.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
You're right sorry, I experience pain at the first knuckle at the annular, but also sometimes at the middle finger, since I've begun playing steel string guitar again, as I previously mainly used to play electric or classical guitar. But I strongly suspect the V shaped neck to be part of the problem, guess it must be some kind of tendinitis, but not sure yet. I'm 36 and have been playing over 20 years, I don't think there is something wrong with the way I place my fingers, I never experienced those kind of pain until one year ago, I'm also a guitar teacher and play about 4 or 5 hours per day
Thanks for the additional info, six fir. I am assuming this is fretting hand fingers 1,2. If you've been playing for so long and have played classical (I guess with teachers) then you prob know all about sitting position. I wonder if the action on your guitar could be too high? The V-shape also will make you knuckle have to accommodate for a larger neck circumference.So, does this happen to you on all guitars? On classical with a thin neck? On electric?

You've been playing a long time and perhaps you have some degree of arthritis from overplaying? All of this is treatable but may require some time off from fretting. I hope you are in a city where there might be hand orthopedic doc that may be able to assess the exact problem. Don't ignore it, I would say. Put that guitar away for awhile and see if other necks allow you to play.

Good luck. Time and be gentle.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 AM

OP has a serious dilemma: namely that he earns his living by teaching guitar, so the advice to just lay off the guitar for 6 months just might not be a practical suggestion...less he wants to start losing students and the income that goes with them.

My suggestion (and you may already be doing this) is to teach using an electric guitar, with ultra-light strings. I had to switch from acoustic to electric because of shoulder pain. But everything is easier with a super slim body, narrow neck, low action and light strings. I've found that I can play both the classical repetoir and all the bluegrass/folk stuff just fine on the electric. Doesn't sound the same, of course, but it's practice not performance. What I learn on the electric transfers easily to the other guitars. Well make that a qualified 'easy'. For a while it was a shock going from electric to my classical guitar...but now that shift is just one more thing I've gotten use to. Takes about 1 minute to reset my fingers to the different instrument.

My guitar teacher was a classically trained musician as well as master of many different styles. I'm dragging in my acoustic steel string and stressing out over barre chords, and he's sitting there with his Fender like the Cheshire Cat not the slightest hint of physical effort. Ultimately I got my old electric repaired and started taking it to the lessons, and that's what I play, till gettting ready for a performance.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Default Potential help

I didnt read ALL the posts but I get the problem. It sucks when it hurts to play.

Years ago I was having trouble with my hands mostly from too much computer work. I thought carpal tunnel surgery was in my near future. I had a GREAT doctor back then and she suggested I try a good dose of B vitamins. I have been taking a B-150 daily for the last 25 years. My hands feel great with no wrist problems unless I forget. In 2 days my wrists hurt again.

I'm sure this can be applicable to many of you. Try it. There are a number of B vitamins, but you want the package that has numbers on it. The B-50 and 100 are common. The 150 is harder to find, but I think its worth it. You can add the smaller ones to make the large dose.

I hope this can help to make someone more comfortable.

-r
Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 AM

I found this thread doing a search for Biceps Tendon Tendinitis. It's something I've been experiencing for a couple weeks now and am puzzled on how I got it. It's on the front side of my elbow (chording hand). I don't lift weights and can't think of anything I've done repetitively except play.
Has anyone else experienced this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion